Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh you know, people obsessed w/gays just HAVE to bring it up, even if it doesn't make any type of sense to the discussion.
And then, of course, they're going to try to turn it around by claiming 'the gays are hijacking the thread'.

Been reading this thread over the last two days and I have to say that the arguments haven't changed in the last ten years or so. When a business tries to be inclusive by saying "Happy Holidays", they get accused of being 'anti-Christmas', thus 'anti-Christian'. And no one ever bothers to check whether the owners of that business are Christian themselves. And those claiming that the terms 'Happy Holidays' and 'Season's Greetings' are "new" obviously weren't sending Christmas cards 30-40-50 years ago. I was and I remember many snowmen and Santa cards that read one of those two phrases. In fact, they made up the bulk of the cards we sent out because Mom (and later myself) only sent the 'religious' cards to those she knew specifically were religious. In fact, many of the cards I liked to send and receive were those that made some kind of joke, either about families in general or specific family members or a joke about Santa and/or his elves.

I just don't understand anyone being 'insulted' by hearing "Happy Holidays" between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Christmas itself is one day in the midst of several other holidays. I save "Merry Christmas" for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The rest of that 5-6 week period it's "Happy Holidays".

And, yes, for those who don't know, I am Christian.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 10-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: small spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
OK, I'm offended by Black History month and MLK day. Keep your holiday to yourselves. The second it starts getting in my face then it becomes a problem.
Huh? What does Black History Month and MLK Day have to do with me?

I will repeat like I do in pretty much every thread these days [MOD CUT] I am a WHITE PERSON, my favorite holiday is Halloween, which I believe is originated from Pagans. I like the candy and the women in sexy costumes...plus, the whole month of November is leftover candy month at my office because of Halloween.

Just because you don't like black people [MOD CUT] doesn't mean it's not your holiday. MLK Day is an American holiday that Ronald Reagan signed into law in 1983, so it's everyone's holiday. Black History Month has no effect on me whatsoever and I didn't even know it was black history month this year until the month was almost over.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-09-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: unnecessary comments about moderation

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Why do you say that. Aren't you the guy that likes to celebrate gay pride. That is in fact your own personal form of religion isn't it? You stay in the closet and we will stay in the churches.
You athiests, morally bankrupt and spiritually dead. Leave Christians alone. Teach your own children your zombie ways. Leave Christians alone.
When the devil is saved there will be no jobs for the preachers. Until then, bring baby jesus to the town square and praise him on high. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas and joy to the world. If the athiests and gays can sing gay to the world, we should be able to sing joy to the world.
God bless baby Jesus and God bless America and free her from the shackles of athiestic self destruction.
What a disgusting post. This is the kind of person that makes people hate Christians.

How can someone who volunteers with inner-city teenagers for 20+ hours a week AFTER working 45+ hours a week be morally bankrupt? How can someone who appreciates the world and the universe for the majesty of science be spiritually dead?

Gay pride parades are always in the gay part of the city, they don't have it in the Suburbs! I've never been to a Gay Pride parade, I've never seen one, and I've lived near some of the gayest parts of America. They're really not that hard to avoid.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Our yearly "War on Christmas" thread has come early this year. Please tell me they aren't putting out decorations in the gardening section just yet, it isn't even Halloween.

I wonder if the economy will get blamed for stealing Christmas this year instead of the Grinch.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Our yearly "War on Christmas" thread has come early this year. Please tell me they aren't putting out decorations in the gardening section just yet, it isn't even Halloween.

I wonder if the economy will get blamed for stealing Christmas this year instead of the Grinch.
Just as they say that being 60 is the new 50.... when it comes to the Christmas retail season.... Halloween is the new Thanksgiving.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Does it really bug you THAT much?
Actually let's just sum this thread up by answering this question.

The answer to this is "No", BUT any excuse to get riled up against the majority of Americans these days is taken.

I can't imagine people with such a nasty temperment as to actually be insulted by a Christmas tree, or by someone DARING to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"...

I'm not Jewish, but I really wouldn't mind if a Jew wished me "Happy Haunnakah". I think I'd be tickled that they thought enough of me to include me in their wishes.

This is just an out-cropping of the hatred toward the majority in America that has existed for 200 years and a public need to protest anything that might be deemed as "protestable"...

Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Actually let's just sum this thread up by answering this question.

The answer to this is "No", BUT any excuse to get riled up against the majority of Americans these days is taken.

I can't imagine people with such a nasty temperment as to actually be insulted by a Christmas tree, or by someone DARING to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"...

I'm not Jewish, but I really wouldn't mind if a Jew wished me "Happy Haunnakah". I think I'd be tickled that they thought enough of me to include me in their wishes.

This is just an out-cropping of the hatred toward the majority in America that has existed for 200 years and a public need to protest anything that might be deemed as "protestable"...
When people tell me 'Merry Christmas' I will usually just say 'I don't celebrate, but I hope yours is blessed'. My best friend is Jewish and tells everyone Merry Christmas....no big.

Christmas trees are not religious in origin, but as usual the Christians stole that tradition from my ancestors as well. Again, not a big deal. I don't think they should be putting up nativity sets or jesus ornaments on the trees in public, but in private you can do what you want.

I wish people would become more familiar with the origins of 'christmas'....it's a real eye opener.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
When people tell me 'Merry Christmas' I will usually just say 'I don't celebrate, but I hope yours is blessed'. My best friend is Jewish and tells everyone Merry Christmas....no big.

Christmas trees are not religious in origin, but as usual the Christians stole that tradition from my ancestors as well. Again, not a big deal. I don't think they should be putting up nativity sets or jesus ornaments on the trees in public, but in private you can do what you want.

I wish people would become more familiar with the origins of 'christmas'....it's a real eye opener.
Honestly, I think in this debate that the origin of the celebration that is Christmas has gotten to the point where it's irrelevant... Christians claim it to be their holiday, and thus people feel they must do whatever they can to curtail any public celebration of it....

Not sure where that came from this:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

....and at some point that became, "You cannot show any religious symbols on government property." ...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Honestly, I think in this debate that the origin of the celebration that is Christmas has gotten to the point where it's irrelevant... Christians claim it to be their holiday, and thus people feel they must do whatever they can to curtail any public celebration of it....

Not sure where that came from this:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

....and at some point that became, "You cannot show any religious symbols on government property." ...
Well, if the government is paying for the decorations or it's on public property it belongs to everyone, including christians, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews and whoever else resides in that community.

It makes perfect sense.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, if the government is paying for the decorations or it's on public property it belongs to everyone, including christians, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews and whoever else resides in that community.

It makes perfect sense.
It's called a "National" Christmas Tree for a reason.... It DOES belong to everyone in a sense (like all public property, it doesn't give them the right to vandalize it, mind you ).

And no..... fuzzy sense at best.... Have yet to see the law that demands a National Christmas Tree..... It's simply a tradition...

If they made a law saying they could no longer do that, THEN it would be a violation of the Constitution. THAT makes perfect sense ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies