Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone is suggesting Christ be removed from the word Christmas.

I think people are saying Government funds should not be used to pay for religious decorations on public property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm very curious then. Do you give and receive presents? If so, why? What are you celebrating? Do you have a Solstice tree? If the Winter Solstice is a holiday, then shouldn't the Summer Solstice be one as well? Shouldn't other planetary events also be holidays? Shouldn't we celebrate them as well?

Please enlighten me....I am very curious!
Wiki can be your friend...

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christmas, like Easter and churches in general, are not mentioned or mandated in the bible. They arose much later.

Each year, there are severarl year end celibrations, both religious and secular, most of them older than Christmas, and many older than Christianity.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Wiki can be your friend...

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christmas, like Easter and churches in general, are not mentioned or mandated in the bible. They arose much later.

Each year, there are several year end celebrations, both religious and secular, most of them older than Christmas, and many older than Christianity.
The really good celebrations always make liberal use of alcohol.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The really good celebrations always make liberal use of alcohol.
Indoobitably!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I'm very curious then. Do you give and receive presents? If so, why? What are you celebrating? Do you have a Solstice tree? If the Winter Solstice is a holiday, then shouldn't the Summer Solstice be one as well? Shouldn't other planetary events also be holidays? Shouldn't we celebrate them as well?

Please enlighten me....I am very curious!
We do give presents, but they're part of our dinners and celebrations, which have been going on for many generations on my Mother's side of the family (Scottish Pagan ancestry on that side). It's customary to have a large feast (or more than one, in our families case ) and exchange small trinkets and gifts to show appreciation for one another. Most things are handmade, very rarely do we exchange things that are purchased and even then it always has a very good reason .

I was born in Germany, which is where the 'christmas tree' thing got started a REALLY long time ago. We prefer something small that can be returned to the outdoors and continue it's life. It is to remind us that winter will be over and green will return.

We do celebrate the Summer Solstice (Midsummers Eve and Midsummer) with a feast and bonfire in late June. There are a couple of smaller 'holidays' we celebrate, but in my families beliefs, every day you're with family should be regarded as a 'holiday' so we should celebrate them all!

Pagans love their feasts and parties, that's for sure.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

I think people are saying Government funds should not be used to pay for religious decorations on public property.
OK....I wasn't saying that. I was bolding the word "Christ" to show what Chistmas is. There is no way around way Christmas is....it is a celebration of Christ.

So my point, those government workers that ban religious symbols, then let them work on the Christmas holiday. Why should they have the day off, if Christmas can't be celebrated? Isn't there day off on Christmas forcing a religious view on them????

And as for all these other year end celebrations, then shouldn't I just be able to pick and choose any celebration and take the day off?

If we aren't celebrating Christmas, then why should stores proffit from it? Or why should stores not have a big Summer Solstice promotion with Summer Solstice merchandise?

See how crazy it all is????

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

I'm saying keep your religion in your home, on your property and out of any public place; regardless whether the government is paying for it or not.

Religious people have their homes, their own personal private property and their churches. If I want to be bombarded with your religion, I'll come to you (your church), do not come to me or to any public palce and shove it down my throat.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:37 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I wonder just how many of these people who are claiming "we're being persecuted!!!!!" actually even think of the religious meaning behind it while they're enjoying their christmas festivities. I'm sure they're thinking of jesus as they're opening presents, putting up decorations, drinking eggnog, dancing on the table. Please, I'm betting religion hasn't peeked it's head around the corner in your brains until someone started proclaiming "there's a war on christmas!!" & put a little nugget in your head "now wait a minute, here's something to REALLY get up in arms about. Quick, let's put on our fake outrage hats & pretend that we've been celebrating the birth of jesus all these years instead of the new iPod". Now you're all screaming "that's right, this is what christmas is about you heathens!" Suuuuuuuure.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
OK....I wasn't saying that. I was bolding the word "Christ" to show what Chistmas is. There is no way around way Christmas is....it is a celebration of Christ.

So my point, those government workers that ban religious symbols, then let them work on the Christmas holiday. Why should they have the day off, if Christmas can't be celebrated? Isn't there day off on Christmas forcing a religious view on them????

And as for all these other year end celebrations, then shouldn't I just be able to pick and choose any celebration and take the day off?

If we aren't celebrating Christmas, then why should stores proffit from it? Or why should stores not have a big Summer Solstice promotion with Summer Solstice merchandise?

See how crazy it all is????
It's tradition. It's how we all grew up - presents, trees, lights, Santa. It's really become more of a secular holiday than religious.

The real war on Christmas was started by the Republican Party that put us in this near Depression. I'm not buying anyone a present this year other than my kids. The stores will suffer!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's tradition. It's how we all grew up - presents, trees, lights, Santa. It's really become more of a secular holiday than religious.

The real war on Christmas was started by the Republican Party that put us in this near Depression. I'm not buying anyone a present this year other than my kids. The stores will suffer!
OK. I'll buy those facts. But then CHANGE the name. Don't call a secular holiday "Christmas".

See the absurdity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies