Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,599 times

Advertisements

I think as far as Jesus ornimentation goes, GOD is still in the pledge of allegience also recited in schools (few religious acceptions noted) but true Christmas is a Christian holiday- the celebration of Christ the greatest and most important gift GOD has ever given to human kind outside of life itsself.......
I agree that holidays have become little more than beat the Jones's spending sprees. Do you all realize that this counrty was founded on the premise of freedom of religion not freedom from religion...... our money old and new quotes "in GOD we trust" from the foundation of this country there were things woth fighting for- our right to believe in GOD how and when and where we please was one of those most basic and precious rights. No matter what you believe, you all have a GOD given right to be happy....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If the public display of religion were disallowed, you'd see dozens of people being carted away every day for wearing a crucifix.

What is disallowed is any act by the state or its agents in the actual or implicit conduct of their duties either to encourage or disparage any one religion over another, or religion over non-religion. Other than that, you can do pretty much whatever you want...
In that case...
If a public display place, on city or town property, is created, where a menorah and a tree, and whatever other symbols are allowed to be placed, does the state then have any right to dictate exactly WHICH symbols are allowed or not allowed? If the municipality acknowledges that, among other holidays being represented by various symbols and representations, Christmas will be represented with a decorated tree, can they really be allowed to outlaw a painted image of Jesus on that decorated tree?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Saganista, Bill Keegan:

I pose this question to the both of you. What would you think if the city erected a sculpture of a swastika on government property?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Saganista, Bill Keegan:

I pose this question to the both of you. What would you think if the city erected a sculpture of a swastika on government property?
Is Naziism now a religion, that it needs to be allowed the same exercise as Christianity, Judaism, Hiduism, Atheism, etc?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Why do so many companies give employees the day off? I don't NEED it off--I could work. I've even seen them close churches on the Holiday (not the Catholic ones--I can't remember, does "midnight Mass" follow Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day?) But I don't need the day off. Thanksgiving isn't considered a religious holiday--but I'm willing to work that day. Why close?
Because it's a time when lot's of people travel to be with family. They close because most people don't want to work. And since everyone expects to have personal time off from work anyway it may as well be when most people want to take time off.

Our school district adjusted the school calandar becasue they had statistics showing that there were a large number of kids who just didn't come to school certain days before and after Thanksgiving and other major holidays, so they added a day off here and there and started school a few days earlier. Apparently when business close and the parents have time off they often yank the kids out of school to go with them.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,599 times
lol if it's a warning acompanied by the phrase "the end is near" sure I saw one of those guys out there last month

Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Is Naziism now a religion, that it needs to be allowed the same exercise as Christianity, Judaism, Hiduism, Atheism, etc?
No, it's not a religion. It's (the swastika) just a symbol. So there's no conflict between church and state. So...? Free expression gives them the right to do so, right?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why would you want to put decorations on property that doesn't belong to you? Seriously, tell me. I want to know.
City Hall? Doesn't belong to me?

Really - I thought, as a taxpayer, it was "public" property - and, the last time I checked, I'm a member of the public.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
No, it's not a religion. It's (the swastika) just a symbol. So there's no conflict between church and state. So...? Free expression gives them the right to do so, right?
Sure, freedom of expression gives people the right to request such a symbol be erected. It also gives others the right to request its removal.
Freedom of expression is a tricky thing. You have to right to say what you want to say, within certain limitations. It's generally acknowldedged that free speech does not extend to speech designed to cause harm to others, such as that old classic, "yelling fire in a crowded theater." You can argue that displaying a symbol like a swastica is designed to cause harm. Also, placement of a symbol on public property would suggest that the people of that community support, or at least tolerate, the people or ideas behind that symbol. In most communities, I think, you will find that most people will support, or at least toerate, the right of others to practice whatever religion they want. I doubt you will find many communities where the people are willing to display support for the sort of hatred that the swastica has come to represent.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Some could argue they feel the same way about homosexuality. So please- keep it in your home, in your private areas or private clubs -anyplace that is private property. Government -owned property is the wrong place for homosexual conduct.
Lame, simple lame. I cannot begin to gather the words to me to describe just how lame the attempt to compare religious rights and gays is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies