Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
I think DC was referring to what most call "fly-over country" and not Chicago even though it is physically located in the MidWest. Forgive me if you think I'm speaking for you DC.
DC beat you to it and I resent being referred to fly over territory. Well not really but I do resent all these people calling me a racist because I don't like Obama. I seldom see him as what he is as far as race is concerned. I just see Barack Obama when I see him just like I see some black men that I really like the looks of even though they have dark skin. I really don't know what racism is when we are talking about politics.

Talking of race and racism, I really liked the looks of that Jones critter that Obama had in the White HOuse and then I started watching those videos of his speeches, especially at the Powerchange meeting last winter and I still really trusted his face but just couldn't trust the man. I wonder just how racist I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
Wow, I guess I'm really out of mainstream society. Since when did the term "Teabaggers" become a derogatory term meaning genitals? I'm really getting old I guess.
We are both old but I got in on that gay crap long ago when the lefties thought it was really funny to use the name. I don't know so much about gays and when I see some of their celebrations I am surely glad I don't.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, you gave me enough to find the Blog you were referencing:

Lawmakers Detail Obama’s Pitch - Prescriptions Blog - NYTimes.com

Notably, Obama didn't use the term "teabaggers" at all. And he never said anything about ignoring them. Asking the Representatives if they thought they would lose votes if they voted for the health care plan was a cogent political point that the opponents to the health care plan were unlikely to be supporters of Democratic representatives to begin with. In other words, you can't lose votes you didn't have to begin with.
the quote in the story is:

According to Representative Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, who supports the health care bill, the president asked, “Does anybody think that the teabag, anti-government people are going to support them if they bring down health care? All it will do is confuse and dispirit” Democratic voters “and it will encourage the extremists.”

I am inclined to give him a pass.... I suppose. the way he phrased it isnt exactly the pejorative.

However, he also said these people are "anti-government"

and that is dismissive. They arent "anti-government" they simply demand responsible government.

One might disagree with them on what responsible government is, but they certainly are not anti-government people.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Me too. I thought it had something to do with the Boston Tea Party
And you are a young girl at that. I think you have to just be a little sexually perverted to be up on some of that crap and I never think of you as being like that.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
On Saturday before the vote on the health care bill Obama met with the entire Dem Caucus in the House to urge them to support the pending health care bill. In his remarks to the legislators he called those opposed to the bill "teabag, anti-government" types. So he de-legtitimized almost 50% of the House of Representatives and (by some polling) more than 50% of the American people. Apart from the implied obscenity and the callous arrogance of this man one has to wonder about his political acumen. Does he honestly think that the American people will ignore his slur in the next elections?
He is so arrogant he thinks he can do and say anything...we will see next year at this time when he will be gone and only remembered for beating Carter for the worst president ever!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
They'd also have a lot more credibility if they would've protested higher taxes & more government when Bush was in office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That is exactly why they have no credibility as far as I'm concerned.
And this is why tea party objectors lack credibility themself, because they ignore that tea party prostests DID begin under Bush..

Old 11-09-2009, 01:53 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And this is why tea party objectors lack credibility themself, because they ignore that tea party prostests DID begin under Bush..
Exactly. the teaparty protests started when GWB and Hank Paulson put forward the 900 Billion dollar bank bailout.

It did not start with Obama, although his stimulus package did add fuel to the fire.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
What's sad is that the more civil acting Teabags actually have a few good points. Govt. does seem to be way too involved in private affairs..but as you just stated, they allow their personal emotions towards the guy's race, and nationality to intercept and supersede their political objective (of course I am speaking of the ones who are actually protesting politics).

I think the bigots should create their own spinoff group, called the Trashbags or something..that way they could spew all the racist garbage they want, and no one would confuse them with rational, civil, and intelligent people who just object to the guy's policies, not his race and nationality.
That group would be very small. The media just grabs a few idiots out of the crowd and makes it look like everyone there believes the same as these idiots.
Just another reason I pay very little attention to the MSM. But then most of you fall for it and believe it also.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
He is so arrogant he thinks he can do and say anything...we will see next year at this time when he will be gone and only remembered for beating Carter for the worst president ever!
Oh, is there a presidential election in 2010?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Oh, is there a presidential election in 2010?
I think she's hinting that he'll be impeached for being unpopular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies