Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:06 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
What if America was split into two countries: One is run by Democrats. The other is run by Republicans. Neither are allowed immigration from either side, just tourist visas.

Which one would you live in?

(BTW, the Republican nation would be a pure Republic, without Medicare/Medicaid and any other Democratically-driven social programs.)
Terrible idea. Far better to do away with political parties and let each candidate run on their own policy ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 12:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
What if America was split into two countries: One is run by Democrats. The other is run by Republicans. Neither are allowed immigration from either side, just tourist visas.

(BTW, the Republican nation would be a pure Republic, without Medicare/Medicaid and any other Democratically-driven social programs.)
Like there is really a big difference between the two. When you get down to the nitty gritty, both parties are composed of power seeking individuals whose only real goal is to continue to keep the power for themselves. Consequently, they keep the minions occupied with silly, trivial but polarizing "issues" and then return to their back rooms where they continue lying to, cheating, and stealing from the very people who put them in power in the first place. Separating into two nations based on ideology would not serve their purposes at all and would never be allowed to happen. That you even pose such a scenario suggests that the wool has been pulled firmly over your eyes.

Right wing, left wing...same chicken.

Last edited by ray1945; 07-19-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,954 times
Even if split into 2 nations, the divisions within each new nation would grow. Its not all black and white, but a lot of gray.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Like there is really a big difference between the two. When you get down to the nitty gritty, both parties are composed of power seeking individuals whose only real goal is to continue to keep the power for themselves. Consequently, they keep the minions occupied with silly, trivial but polarizing "issues" and then return to their back rooms where they continue lying to, cheating, and stealing from the very people who put them in power in the first place. Separating into two nations based on ideology would not serve their purposes at all and would never be allowed to happen. That you even pose such a scenario suggests that the wool has been pulled firmly over your eyes.

Right wing, left wing...same bird.
Pretty much nails it. Can I take door #3? Maybe have a nice island, somewhere, take all my stuff and the seven people in my life I'm happy are in it, maybe have a reconditioned ,old, Navy frigate or destroyer, or maybe a sub, to patrol my beacbiInes, maybe some rotary cannon battery's at egress points , on shore,. Good fishing, a good, clean, fresh water source, arable soil. All the living requirements, ya know.

And, no politics. No lawyers. A doctor would be good. I'd promise to stay put, and mind my own, and we'd l just be on our merry. I've no use for either of our two , big, political organizations. I would be my own, little nation, proclaiming independence and neutrality. And, we don't want a seat at the UN.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:07 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRoss View Post
I don't see why either side would object to this. Democrats keep saying that their political nirvana is a country with higher federal taxes, more federal regulations, more illegal immigration and more federal government spending. Well, let them have it! If they had a decisive political majority in a country that's half of America, they could have all of that -- and more. How could they possibly complain?

Same goes for the Republicans. They want lower federal taxes, no illegal immigration, less federal spending and less federal regulation. Divide the country into two, and they could have it all. I don't hear a single Republican who would complain.

How would this work, practically? One party could have no more than 25 of the current states, where a minimum of 23 would be geographically consecutive, assuming the same entity also had Hawaii and Alaska. It would probably have to leave room for each half having at least one state on each of the two oceans. Practically speaking, that would, in turn, mean that California and Washington state could not be part of the same country -- the question is which would be which. Other than that, almost every combination would be possible.

Clearly, this would have to entail moving, for close to half of the population. The real solution here would be one of natural selection, where people would do it over some period of time. Americans moved before, such as in the 1800s when they headed West, and they still move today where some states show large net immigration numbers and other states have been de-populating for at least a decade or two. With more change and distinction, chances are that this new migration would be faster and more pronounced.

The U.S. today is one of the world's largest countries, geographically. Our population density is relatively low. In other words, we have the luxury of doing this. Even in our smaller and oldest states in the Northeast, natural resources are vast and not cramped by most international standards.

We won't want any civil war of any kind, let alone any bloodshed. We want a peaceful and amicable separation that will greatly satisfy both political sides of the spectrum. I hear from Democrats all the time that they would prefer that Texas go off and be its own country, because it is just not like the rest of 'em. Likewise, I hear political activists from other states say the corresponding same thing about California and Washington, D.C. With a peaceful and amicable separation, problem solved.

All of these political scores could be settled once and for all by both political sides to enjoy relative peace in each of their homes. We don't need a one-size-fits-all. We can have our cookies and eat them too. Just split the cookie in half.

In a few years it would be obvious, for all the world to see, which system works best. We liberals can finally prove what we continually repeat.

not 25 states. make all counties that vote republican 1 country and all counties that vote democrat another country. the democrat country would be really small.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:

The one that has and retains our Fed, national banking system and USD. I presume the Dem country.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Even if split into 2 nations, the divisions within each new nation would grow. Its not all black and white, but a lot of gray.
Touche'. They do naturally divide themselves on issues within their own parties all the time.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
It wouldnt matter, it would only be a matter of time before one declared war on the other for resources and debt.

I would probably live on the democrat side, but not because I have any faith in that big bunch of frauds and losers, but more because the Republican party is becoming something...scary. Identity politics, overt extremism, 'race to the bottom' style politics, such a nation would not be a pleasant place to live.

Though I am thoroughly disgusted at the lack of performance of the Republicans you have listed what I would say about the Democrats.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I would live n the Republican side, build my fortune larger, and wait for the Dem country to collapse (a la Greece) and then steal some deals. I would also ask for the 500K in ss I've paid in get back to me.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 07-20-2015 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-20-2015, 03:39 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
It wouldnt matter, it would only be a matter of time before one declared war on the other for resources and debt.

I would probably live on the democrat side, but not because I have any faith in that big bunch of frauds and losers, but more because the Republican party is becoming something...scary. Identity politics, overt extremism, 'race to the bottom' style politics, such a nation would not be a pleasant place to live.
Well, democrats wouldn't have any money or guns so it would be a very short war. However, democrats would live in the largest hood in the world. Except the liberal elite who would move to republican land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies