Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,218 times

Advertisements

Lets get this straight...Deaths caused by substance per yer

Tobacco: 435,000
Poor diet: 365,000
alcohol: 85,000
Adverse actions from prescription drugs: 32,000
All illicit drug use, direct and indirect: 17,000
anti inflammatory drugs such as aspirin: 7,600
Marijuana: 0

Thats right kids, no reported deaths. Odd that its still illegal even though there has been no deaths reported from it. I think its great something like advil, or benedryl is legal even though it kills more people each year.

Odd that Tobacco and Doritos are still legal even though they kill thousands a year.

Sorry, but with just this info it makes a person realize that it is illegal for no good reason. It is only illegal because big business would have to change everything in order to survive the uprising of thousands of new hemp and marijuana based business'.

oh...here is the site I got the info on.

http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Amuse Myself View Post
Marijuana can kill you, saying otherwise is being delusional. If you have a severe marijuana addict and cut of his access to marijuana (Lock him into a room or something) He can (Most probably will) go into a psychosis and his body is so used to the substance that it goes into a shock, which can kill a person.

So yes, Marijuana kills.
This is the biggest load of crap I've heard about pot in a while. What are you from the 30s? Been locked in a basement watching Reefer Madness for 70 years?

You don't go into a psychosis after quitting from heavy use. The worst you get is maybe a bit irritable for a few days. Just watch the movie Super High Me. A very heavy user quits for 30 days, documenting it all, then smokes for 30 days as well. You will see how trivial the effects of use and withdrawal really are.

Alcohol, however, can kill you from withdrawals alone.

Marijuana has never once killed anyone, by overdose or withdrawals. I challenge you to find one credible documented case that proves otherwise.

Also, there are no permanent negative effects from pot. Your memory does restore to its full capacity if you quit.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Quote:
1.) Are you seriouse when you say it does not bring addiction with it? I hope you're sarcastic there.

2.) Alcohol has as much medical benefits as Marijuana does. It helps the blood stream, it helps your hearth and so on.

3.) Go read up on what Marijuana does to your brain. I'll give you some things for free.

- Messes up with your memory, and can give you memory loss.
- Makes it harder for you to focus/ Concentrate, this is not just when you're smoking, but when you're clean aswell.

There are many more things it does aswell. So stop with the crap that it's healthy, or not addictie.

No matter how you twist and turn, it is NOT healthy.

People DO/CAN get addictive of weed / Marijuana.
Excellent points.

Marijuna is illegal for good reason.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
This is the biggest load of crap I've heard about pot in a while. What are you from the 30s? Been locked in a basement watching Reefer Madness for 70 years?

You don't go into a psychosis after quitting from heavy use. The worst you get is maybe a bit irritable for a few days. Just watch the movie Super High Me. A very heavy user quits for 30 days, documenting it all, then smokes for 30 days as well. You will see how trivial the effects of use and withdrawal really are.

Marijuana has never once killed anyone, by overdose or withdrawals. I challenge you to find one credible documented case that proves otherwise.

Also, there are no permanent negative effects from pot. Your memory does restore to its full capacity if you quit.
And we're supposed to believe that a heavily addicted pot smoker comedian is going to come out with a totally unbiased production.....

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 AM

26 posts, read 38,645 times
Talking Yea Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dang, if this is true, then, owing in large part to the 60's, 70's, and the first half of the 80's, then I may well have consumed enough to keep me free from brain tumors until the year 2365. On the other hand......I may well have drank and drugged away at least 70% of my brain cells-----the good news is that those were brain cells I wasn't using anyway.....and the third of a brain I got left is.........uh.........uh......... What was I sayin'?
This is the funniest thing I have red on here!!!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
Marijuana can kill you .

another NANNY! how lovely! so by your logic we should ban everything that can kill us? ok, let's start with heart disease our biggest killer. in your world everything that therefore causes heart disease should be banned. meat, sugar, no exercise, fat, i really could go on all day. what about cars? let's ban them too. gas stoves, stairs, buckets......

have you ever read 1984? you should read it sometime to see what our world will look like if people like me give in to people like you!

1984 - Google Videos

Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,995 times
Quote:
1.) Are you seriouse when you say it does not bring addiction with it? I hope you're sarcastic there.

2.) Alcohol has as much medical benefits as Marijuana does. It helps the blood stream, it helps your hearth and so on.

3.) Go read up on what Marijuana does to your brain. I'll give you some things for free.

- Messes up with your memory, and can give you memory loss.
- Makes it harder for you to focus/ Concentrate, this is not just when you're smoking, but when you're clean aswell.

There are many more things it does aswell. So stop with the crap that it's healthy, or not addictie.

No matter how you twist and turn, it is NOT healthy.

People DO/CAN get addictive of weed / Marijuana.
Never heard of pot-addiction
I smoked for 15 years and quit 15 years ago as a birthday present to my wife.
No withdrawls, nothing.
You'd have to link me to pot-addiction facts.

I do know, however, that our brains are hard-wired to receiving the THC molecule. There is a specific receptor in our brains to accept it.

As far as concentration goes, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a surgeon smokes a fatty before he cuts on a patient.
Just like alcohol, there are times to use and times not to...

Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,360 times
Quote:
Quote:
Marijuana can kill you, saying otherwise is being delusional. If you have a severe marijuana addict and cut of his access to marijuana (Lock him into a room or something) He can (Most probably will) go into a psychosis and his body is so used to the substance that it goes into a shock, which can kill a person.
The above reasoning is about as delusional as it gets. You describe a HEROIN withdrawl very well here.
Even a severe alcohol withdrawl can be fatal and just as bad as a heroin withdrawl for a hardcore drinker.
Marijuana withdrawl results in slight irratibility and perhaps, a brief period of insomnia.
THAT'S ALL!

Quote:
So yes, Marijuana kills.
No, man......it does NOT!

Marijuana impinges on the central nervous system by attaching to brain's neurons and interfering with normal communication between the neurons. These nerves respond by altering their initial behavior. For example, if a nerve is suppose to assist one in retrieving short-term memory, cannabinoids receptors make them do the opposite. So if one has to remember what he did five minutes ago, after smoking a high dose of marijuana, he has trouble. Marijuana plant contains 400 chemicals and 60 of them are cannabinoids, which are psychoactive compounds that are produced inside the body after cannabis is metabolized or is extorted from the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids is an active ingredient of marijuana. The most psychoactive cannabinoids chemical in marijuana that has the biggest impact on the brain is tetrahydrocannibol, or THC. THC is the main active ingredient in marijuana because it affects the brain by binding to and activating specific receptors, known as cannabinoid receptors. "These receptors control memory, thought, concentration, time and depth, and coordinated movement. THC also affects the production, release or re-uptake (a regulating mechanism) of various neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are chemical messenger molecules that carry signals between neurons. Some of these affects are personality disturbances, depression and chronic anxiety. Psychiatrists who treat schizophrenic patient advice them to not use this drug because marijuana can trigger severe mental disturbances and cause a relapse.

When one's memory is affected by high dose of marijuana, short-term memory is the first to be triggered. Marijuana's damage to short-term memory occurs because THC alters the way in which information is processed by the hippocampus, a brain area responsible for memory formation. "One region of the brain that contains a lot of THC receptors is the hippocampus, which processes memory." Hippocampus is the part of the brain that is important for memory, learning, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivation. It also converts information into short-term memory. "Because it is a steroid, THC acts on the hippocampus and inhibits memory retrieval." THC also alters the way in which sensory information is interpreted. "When THC attaches to receptors in the hippocampus, it weakness the short-term memory," and damages the nerve cells by creating structural changes to the hippocampus region of the brain. When a user has a high dose of marijuana, new information does not register into their brain and this may be lost from memory and they are not able to retrieve new information for more than a few minutes. There is also a decrease in the activity of nerve cells.

There you go, Read up and stop being delusional.
Nobody here is saying that marijuana is 100% safe, healthy or the magic cure-all to everything that ails you, but for YOU to suggest that the overall effect from marijuana use is even remotely as bad as drinking........YOU are the delusional one for sure.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:31 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

I think he HAS been in a basement watching "Reefer Madness" for the last 70 years!
Too funny.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
Quote:
Could you show us an example where it was proven that Pot has directly killed the person who smoked it ? Of course you can't because it has never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies