Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If it were legal I'd still fire anyone who tested positive for pot.
Some of us......you wouldn't have to bother testing.

I will gladly ADMIT that I'm a pothead.....IF you ASK, otherwise....it's sad to see you won't tolerate a pot smoker, who uses it OFF the job......AND if it were legal too?

Draconian, tyrannical BOSS you are!

Guess you are OK with any employees who got too drunk last night and are either too sick to be very productive when they show up for work.....or just call in sick again from another hangover.

I would much rather my employees smoke pot....than drink alcohol.
Just NOT on the job....unless its a head shop maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
Marijuana will be legalized and essentially is well on it's way to be fully legal in the Western states. Los Angeles seems to be "cannabis central" w/ 1000 dispensaries [more than any fast food or coffee chain]. The city council has allowed the free use of marijuana beyond what California law permits & may need to take a little more control [i.e. taxing it] but marijuana just isn't worth prohibiting and why the progressive states are allowing its use.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Yes, it should be legal...and cheap, like tomato plants.
I think there should be fines and misdemeaners for selling it. I don't want it commercialized, because then for sure it will get abused. Don't let it get on store shelves. It can be grown for personal use, and it can be prescribed. Removing the prohibition will remove most of the cost factor.
Removing the criminality will save the taxpayer billions. Fines will help raise money for drug education, so that kids will know the harmful effects of drug use in general.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I think there should be fines and misdemeaners for selling it. I don't want it commercialized, because then for sure it will get abused. Don't let it get on store shelves. It can be grown for personal use, and it can be prescribed. Removing the prohibition will remove most of the cost factor.
Removing the criminality will save the taxpayer billions. Fines will help raise money for drug education, so that kids will know the harmful effects of drug use in general.
There will always be a big market for pot, whether legal or illegal. We don't need to arrest people for selling pot. Arrests for consenting adult activity do not reduce harm, they add unnecessary harm to people with no valid reason.

Criminalizing pot sales is hypocritical unless we criminalize sales of alcohol, tobacco, and other "sinful pleasures", we can't just go around prohibiting things based on arbitrary morality, because it destroys civil rights without a valid reason.

Besides, you pointed out that we would save tax money, well don't forget the tax revenue from sales that will go uncollected because it is only sold on the black market, if sales remain illegal.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,218 times
Quote:
If it were legal you couldnt. It would be like firing someone who tested positive for nicotine or who drank some beer the night before. You would be sued within minutes and would lose undoubtedly.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Everyone knows that men cannot control themselves.

And, on pot, men REALLY cannot control themselves!

It's not called "demon weed" for nothing.
And apparently you have never tried it. LOL...the demon weed. Your right, men cant control themselves...neither can women. Smoking pot results in uncontrollable desires to raid the fridge, and to pass out on the couch watching stargate or playing wow. Marijuana, is not a gateway drug or a sex drug. Anyone who thinks so is an idiot. Honestly unless you have done it, you cannot form an opinion and have no right to comment..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Keep it illegal. Punishment for posession of any amount, no exceptions. Enforce the drug laws.

No recreational or medicinal usage. Totally illegal.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
If it were legal you couldnt. It would be like firing someone who tested positive for nicotine or who drank some beer the night before. You would be sued within minutes and would lose undoubtedly.
There are many "right to work" states were you could. Not every state is California.

If someone comes in smelling like pot, an employer could fire them for violation of dress code...just like employers can fire men who come in with way too much cologne or women with too much perfume.

If someone comes in with bloodshot eyes and is stoned then they can be fired for that. Just like coming in with a hangover can get you fired.

By the way, there are employers in this country that do not allow you to smoke tobacco and if you do they fire you. Perfectly legal.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 AM

403 posts, read 535,195 times
Quote:
blasphemy!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,079,236 times
At this point I don't think the government can afford not to legalize it. I'm a college student who's lived in California and New Jersey and I can tell you there is a huge market for it. Not to mention we don't have to pump ridiculous tax dollars into task force officers who make 6 figure salaries to throw a guy in jail (which is more tax payer money) for growing a plant in his basement. Law enforcement can focus on real problems. It'll also decrease violence in countries whose economy is de facto based on the transport of it.

That being said, I still feel cocaine and heroin should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies