Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

It should be legalized as a medicine and regulated as such, not as a smokable recreational drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 17,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Seriously, my daughter is visiting the Netherlands and the cannibes festival, do you think this is ok? I'm not a prude but I wonder about her actions...thoughts?
Depends on how old your daughter is. If she's already of college age or older, I see no problem with it.

If she's under 18, than she shouldn't go.

Amsterdam is a gorgeous city with a lot of history, your daughter could actually learn something if she goes to museums or just walks around the town. However, if she's just going to smoke pot and eat candy the whole time, you shouldn't pay for her to go.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
another cheerleader for Big Government! Keep cheering, they'll be coming for your guns next! ......oh, and your SUV's, mcmansions, healthcare, the 'right to work states', your right to free speech, hunting, eating meat, fast food, .....

it saddens me deeply to think that we live in a country where a good portion of the population has such a distorted view of freedom!

aahhh, the Nanny State, how wonderful!
Nice try. But the "pro pot legalization" group is Democratic, which is the party that is big government taking away state's rights, guns, mansions through their taxes.....

The Republican party that wants cannabis to remain illegal is the party that supports the 2nd Amendmen

Besides, the right to bare arms is guaranteed by the Consitution...

Where in the Constitution does it guarantee the "right" to consume drugs?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Nice try. But the "pro pot legalization" group is Democratic, which is the party that is big government taking away state's rights, guns, mansions through their taxes.....

The Republican party that wants cannabis to remain illegal is the party that supports the 2nd Amendmen

I'm no democrat, but I don't believe pot should be illegal, does that make me not republican, either.

I feel lost without a party to cling onto, to help me through life.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
There will always be a big market for pot, whether legal or illegal. We don't need to arrest people for selling pot. Arrests for consenting adult activity do not reduce harm, they add unnecessary harm to people with no valid reason.

Criminalizing pot sales is hypocritical unless we criminalize sales of alcohol, tobacco, and other "sinful pleasures", we can't just go around prohibiting things based on arbitrary morality, because it destroys civil rights without a valid reason.

Besides, you pointed out that we would save tax money, well don't forget the tax revenue from sales that will go uncollected because it is only sold on the black market, if sales remain illegal.
The person caught selling doesn't need to be arrested, unless he evades his court date, or doesn't pay the fine. There should be a deterent for selling, but since it can be grown, there isn't much profit is there? People will be giving it away. It should not be on store shelves next to Budweiser unless you truly want a stoned society, and considering our economic situation, I don't think we can afford a younger generation that is even less competitive with the rest of the world than it is now.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm no democrat, but I don't believe pot should be illegal, does that make me not republican, either.

I feel lost without a party to cling onto, to help me through life.
I'm referring to the politicians and the party platform, not the individual voters. Very few agree with their party line 100%. But if pot is ever legalized, it will come from Democrats not Republicans.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

nice try 3vault. BIG GOVERNMENT is BIG GOVERNMENT! PERIOD!!!! if you continue to argue in favour of the nanny state to keep us safe from drugs you start moving into precarious territory as to what the role of government ought to be!

now i am probably more fiscally conservative than you. i'm probably more pro the 2nd amendment than you too but there is no way in hell that i will vote for another civil liberty crushing republican again. come 2012 if the gop candidate hasn't made a significant about turn in their policy concerning drugs, the patriot act, the wars, i will not vote for them! surprise, surprise there are now millions of people like me and our numbers growing unlike those who support the dubyas of this world.

unless you and the rest of the old guard in the gop wake up, we'll have to learn to get used to the obamas/clintons and their ilk!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Then there are the religious people who believe everything their little book tells them. They buy into every word their profit, president, pope, prient, bishop and other reliegious figures tell them. If they were told that breathing air was evil they would suffocate to please their god(s). Sorry, but these people have no credibility when it comes to stuff like this. Actually they have little credibility at all.
The funny thing about these religious people, is that they don't follow everything their book tells them, they pick and choose and generally follow modern religious culture instead. The bible says nothing about marijuana being bad. In fact, it says that people have the right to use all seed-bearing plants.

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.

But Nixon told them that marijuana is evil and people who use it deserve to have their property stolen and their freedom taken away, and then Reagan, Bush (x2), even Clinton continued that false propaganda that still destroys the civil liberties of millions of US citizens a year. You can pretty much add Obama to that, unless he does something soon.

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 11-24-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Can I ask why you think this? You have to have some reason. if its just you buy into everything the government tells you about it, then we can move on and just ignore your ignorance. That is usually the case. The other times it is someone who says It ruined their life. This is actually a lie they have come to believe after telling others. Drugs and alcohol, however powerful, do not ruin lives. The people who choose to do so ruined their own life. There are millions of people out there that live functional lives, work, pay taxes, go to church, and other normal life activities and they both drink and do other recteational drugs. If you are one of those that say it isnt healthy for your body, this as well is a lie. Cannabis is not harmful to your health, it is the smoking that is harmful. Digesting it however has no harmful effects.

more people die from aspirin every year they any one has ever died of marijuana. Guess how many people have died from marijuana? ziltch, nadda, zip, none, zero. Thats right, not one person in recorded history has died from the use of marijuana. I am not saying people havent died from it idirectly but that is only because it is put in the criminal element. make it legal and any and all crime connected to it will stop. Sure, you may have someone smoke a joint and get behind the wheele but these people are the same people who drink and drive. You cant stop them, you can only pray they dont kill anyone.

Then there are the religious people who believe everything their little book tells them. They buy into every word their profit, president, pope, prient, bishop and other reliegious figures tell them. If they were told that breathing air was evil they would suffocate to please their god(s). Sorry, but these people have no credibility when it comes to stuff like this. Actually they have little credibility at all.

So which one are you? My vote is one the general uniformed person who believes everything the government tells them. I however chose to find out the truth. I dare you to try it if you havent. It will change your life, for the better.
Drugs and alcohol DO ruin lives. Tell that it doesn't ruin lives to the parents of somone killed by a drunk or impaired driver. Their kid didn't "ruin" his life, someone else more concerned with their own pleasure than the safety of others ruined lives.

As to being harmful....well most people who use cannabis smoke it, not ingest it so it is harmful.

Make it legal and all crime will stop? Sure.......that's why we still have thousands of DUI's a year caused by a legal subtance, rampant tobacco/alcohol smuggling for legal substances.....why we have the ATF and state agencies to enforce laws regarding legal substances....

And what happens when someone smoking marijuana runs out of money? Some of them will still resort to criminal methods of obtaining it, whether the drug is legal or illegal..

Religious individuals living in this country are just as entitled to an opinion and a vote as you are. They simply choose to craft their beliefs from an organized system of religion instead of a political ideology fueled by the media. Their beliefs are no more or less of an ideology than yours are.

As to who I am....

1. Someone who has seen marijuana ruin lives and as a stepping stone to "hard" drugs.

2. Someone who firmly believes that we need to enforce our laws and stand our ground, not make exceptions and mitigate resposnibilty.

Last edited by th3vault; 11-24-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
Quote:
And apparently you have never tried it. LOL...the demon weed. Your right, men cant control themselves...neither can women. Smoking pot results in uncontrollable desires to raid the fridge, and to pass out on the couch watching stargate or playing wow. Marijuana, is not a gateway drug or a sex drug. Anyone who thinks so is an idiot. Honestly unless you have done it, you cannot form an opinion and have no right to comment..
Right! It is so clear when some posters express antiquated opinions. You know they have never tried marijuana. There aren't too many Americans who have not tried marijuana and why many Americans prefer "bud" over Budweiser. But getting horny is a common reaction to weed after eating everything out of refrigerator and so long as you don't fall asleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies