Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times

Advertisements

There are a lot more problems caused by drug prohibition than caused by the drugs themselves, because it creates a black market that empowers gangs and cartels, among other things (think about all the problems caused by alcohol prohibition). Even if you view marijuana as harmful, it isn't the government's job to keep me from harming myself (and there are plenty of ways I can do that legally right now anyways). I can't see that marijuana, or any other currently prohibited drug for that matter, is more harmful to a person than being thrown in jail and having a criminal record dampen their career prospects for a decade or more anyways.

As for your daughter specifically, if she's spending the money to go to Amsterdam to smoke pot, she's more than likely already tried it more than once. Even if she hasn't, it's almost certainly a safer substance than nicotine or alcohol. She just needs to watch herself if she's in a foreign country, in public, in an altered state of mind. Not much different than going out drinking in any major city in the US really, but it would be harder to get home from over there if she got mugged or pickpocketed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Seriously, my daughter is visiting the Netherlands and the cannibes festival, do you think this is ok? I'm not a prude but I wonder about her actions...thoughts?
If it were legal I'd still fire anyone who tested positive for pot.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post

...and that should be your right to do so! it should also be the right of the person you fired to take his/her expertise with them and open up shop in direct competition to you.

these days however it doesn't seem to work that way though. the amount of money required just to deal with the regulatory bureaucracy of setting up shop, is huge! i personally would only fire people who underperformed as good staff are incredibly hard to find, but to each their own!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
The whole war on drugs, mirrors prohibition of the 30's.

Just the theater and actors have changed.

It is funny how stupid people, never learn, or remember history.
Government trying to run your lives. You know, the government knows best.
Wake up! It is not about liberty anymore, it is about showing me the money. Didn't you get the memo?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
Cannabis is a plant. How can mankind be so arrogant to ban a plant? We all know that drug prohibition was to protect interests of scum like the Rockefellers and provides income to dirtbags like drug dealers. While I am not a pot smoker and find it disgusting (smell makes me sick) I think that no substance should be illegal to posess. Also cannabis is a product that has great economic value. Therefore all prohibitions should be removed and any Government official who supports prohibition should be ordered to inhale from a cannabis vaporizer to steady their mind.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
First time I literally laughed out loud on the internet perhaps ever. I seriously might have pissed off the neighbors.

The Netherlands has an incredibly low violent crime index. Indeed, it's one of the safest places in the world. The only people getting "gangbanged" are those who want to be.

It's Western Europe for god sakes. It's more advanced than we are. Culturally isolated much? Jesus. Have you ever left Alaska? Honest question.
LOL--I completely agree, except that the person you're responding to here has never actually been a resident of the state of Alaska--he just plays one on the internet.

Your kids will be fine in the cafes, OP, but Amsterdam is full of some pretty worthwhile things to see and do that don't involve getting stoned with a bunch of American students (that's a huge part of the clientele in the cafes there)--they can do that at home, right? I hope they get out to see some museums et al as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Yes for the millionth time. This topic has been done to death.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM

319 posts, read 963,805 times
Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Isolated -- --- I can appreciate that OY. were overcoming a few issues here now and dont have alot of extra time yet--- give us a chance my friend and we'll be partying like its 1999. USA citicens are an honory bunch you understand. We got the hardcore (sick of europes shyte) type Imigrant/ ancestors blood in us . Yes the pissed off ones left and the cowards stayed home ya know. In other words, we'll be damned if we let King George happen again.-- get it?
huh?

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM

Default huh !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
who the hell would work for u?

Old 11-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Default pot

she,s not going just to smoke pot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies