Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you want to learn about what a travesty indians have had to put up with. Don't even look through history, everyone knows what happened to them in the past. Look at recent times. Look at the crime victimhood rates of native-american women.

Native American Women and Violence

"According to the Department of Justice, 70% or more of violence experienced by Native American women is committed by persons not of the same race."

Native-Americans are the only group of people in this country that are victimized more by other races than their own. Why would they possibly be better off through forced contact with these other races that treat them so poorly? Why are they better off through the destruction of their culture through mixing?

I have looked into some of the history of this. I have studied Federal Indian Law and I am aware of the more recent statistics.

I am no one to preach about not getting off topic, but this particular thread is already so packed with thoughts and other things. What you bring up may be better discussed in a completely new thread, eh?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Who says I don't like black people? I just don't see the benefits of mixing people together. At least not in my lifetime. And I realize that this is social heresy because of the new world order of diversity thought police demand it to be so. I was merely hoping to bring about some logical thinking by the part of people like yourself. But I think I expect too much, that is, if I believe that people should think outside the box. I remember my 9th grade science teacher had an engineering degree. And he was always pressuring us to "think outside the box". He was always giving us this stupid little questions that were sort of mental tricks. Like. How do you cut a cake into eight equal pieces by making only three cuts?

What I was hoping to explain to you, and I obviously failed. Is that your mind can be led to believe almost anything. So how do you know what is or isn't the truth? Sometimes your beliefs can be backed up with facts, so you know they are true because it is indisputable. But sometimes your beliefs are based on judgements, which are nothing more than opinion.

I was reading an article yesterday about the "real medal" count in the olympics. If you were to take away all medals won by Americans from "judged" events, then we would have less golds than both Norway and Germany. When you are dealing with a judged event, opinions tend to factor in, and biases can manifest themselves in the outcomes. Can anyone say without a doubt, that every judged event in the olympics made the right call?

In life, what is or isn't acceptable is almost always a judgement or opinion, rather than facts. Which is why there tends to be so many different opinions. So how do we know what is or isn't acceptable? How do we have made the right decision? The truth is we don't know anything. We make up rules as we go along. And the rules change over time.

What bothers me the most about the people I come into contact with, is that they are so convinced that their way of thinking is the best way, and that everyone elses is just ignorant and stupid. They fail to understand that even if their way of thinking is the most "mainstream" or "normal" right now, that in 100 years their way of thinking will be thought of as primitive and backwards. Just like the way people thought 100 years ago is generally seen as backwards and unacceptable in our modern world.

So can you really say you are right and they are wrong? Can you really say anyone is right or anyone is wrong? Why should you believe that your line of thinking is "normal", while others is somehow extreme. What is normal anyway?

There are three applicable definitions for normal. There is "common", "accepted", and "naturally occuring".

Lets take the case of interracial marriages for a minute. Are interracial marriages common? Yes. And are interracial marriages "naturally occuring". Yes. Are interracial marriages "accepted". Yes. So interracial marriages would be deemed normal. Correct?

What about rape? Rape is common, and rape is naturally occuring. No one has to be taught to rape. So is rape normal? Racism is common and it is naturally occuring, is racism normal? Most people will say that rape, murder, and racism are not normal. But how can this be true? Because they are deemed unacceptable. At least by our social standards. If we look back 200 years ago, racism was common, naturally occuring, and very acceptable. So was racism "normal" then? And if you were to call it normal, then why isn't it normal now? Is there really a definition of normal? Is the definition of normal absolute? Or is normal just related to place and time?

If normal cannot be defined, then how do we really know if we even know what normal is? How can we walk around on our high-horse, with our condescending attitudes, belittling anyone who disagrees with us, telling them that their ideas are unacceptable and abnormal.

So racism, what is racism? Racism is defined as a belief that your people are superior to other people in one way or another. And racism is most rooted in the human emotions of fear and distrust. We distrust people who are different than us. This fear has been embedded in the human brain since the beginning of time. Humans were always fearful of others, because others tended to want to harm us. Or they looked out for their own best-interests rather than ours. So we tended to try to stay within our own people, as a way of just surviving.

Many will admit that distrust of others is a human condition. They will admit that it came from the constant conquests, the rapes, the theft. People who tended to distrust others were far more likely to survive. So this trait was passed along by the way of survival of the fittest. But these same people that admit that humans tend to distrust others(the foundations of racism), will say that this very common distrust is something that is unacceptable in our modern world. In the same way that murder and rape is common, but is also unacceptable.

So why is something acceptable and why is something unacceptable? Generally things that are deemed to be unacceptable if it produces bad results. This can easily be seen in the case of rape and murder. No matter how "common" they are, their very existence in any capacity is always for the worse. Therefore they are and will forever be, unacceptable, and not normal.

So what of racism? Is racism bad? Does it have a bad effect on society? So even though we admit it is a human condition, should we try to limit it as much as possible?

That's a difficult question to answer. I once believed racism was always bad. But I am no longer so convinced.

Lets talk about religion for a moment. There exists many religions in the world. Would you say that it is good policy to "mix" people of varying religions together? Do you believe a country can remain half muslim and half christian and live in relative harmony? Or do you believe that maybe it is better policy to have an all-muslim country and an all-christian country?

To me, racism when it manifests itself in violence or discrimination is always bad. But I believe that racism itself can be a good policy to actually promote the well-being of humanity. It promotes actual diversity, by making sure cultures are preserved across the world. It promotes community by limiting divisions. The very presence of interracial marriages is very harmful to the fabric of society. At least until the point that interracial marriages have become so common that they can no longer really be called interracial anymore.

"The way I see it, the fact of the Jews' racial peculiarity will necessarily influence their social relations with non-Jews. The conclusions which—in my opinion—the Jews should draw is to become more aware of their peculiarity in their social way of life and to recognize their own cultural contributions. First of all, they would have to show a certain noble reservedness and not be so eager to mix socially—of which others want little or nothing. On the other hand, anti-Semitism in Germany also has consequences that, from a Jewish point of view, should be welcomed. I believe German Jewry owes its continued existence to anti-Semitism." - Albert Einstein

What he is saying is, if the Germans had been more hospitable towards the jews, the jews would have become assimilated, and they wouldn't have been their own people, their own religion, or their own culture. They just would have been Germans, just like everyone else. Which would have destroyed that diversity.

I just don't see the benefits of diversity in this country. So I cannot support any policy that encourages or perpetuates such a failed concept. And although I don't want to insist that I am right and everyone else is wrong. I merely want you to actually weigh the good with the bad of diversity and come to your own conclusions. Stop just listening to everyone else.
Are you serious? I have never heard anyone (including die hard racist) argue for racism! The racist will argue tooth and nail why they believe that their race is better but not reason why racism is good.

My original statement comes from the fact that all of your examples against interracial relationships have been primarily geared towards blacks. I have come to the conclusion that you have a personal grudge against black people (did you get beat up by some black guys or did one take your girl?).

Racism is something that is taught and does not occur naturally in society. Rape which was a product of racism 200 years ago because it is an act of power and control that many whitemen wielded indiscriminately. The funny thing about that is since racist believe that they are the "superior race" they still had no probelm spreading their seed with "inferior races" i.e black, native americans, asians ect. through force.

Here is a news flash bright guy, it is human nature to point out differences between people, so even if you have an all white society, it would still turn on itself b/c of the differences between themselves. blond haired vs red haired, left handed vs right handed, the majority will alway proscute the minority

Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Racism is something that is taught and does not occur naturally in society. Rape which was a product of racism 200 years ago because it is an act of power and control that many whitemen wielded indiscriminately. The funny thing about that is since racist believe that they are the "superior race" they still had no probelm spreading their seed with "inferior races" i.e black, native americans, asians ect. through force.
You're wrong. Racism is perfectly natural. And strife between differing religions, cultures and nationalities is also natural. It's both animal and human nature to mistrust and dislike what is different from us.

Having things in common with someone or a group of people is what helps form an alliance. And the more things in common, the stronger the ties. And that would include, looking alike, having the same moral values, same religion and same goals.

The more different the other person or people are, the more work and effort it takes to bond and form ties with each other.

And when we meet a stranger or strangers, what helps to make there be equal respect between everyone involved is having similar levels of technology, education and strength. That's why the first explorers and settlers to the North and South Americas didn't respect the natives. The Europeans had firearms and horses, and the natives didn't. To the Europeans, the natives were very primitive, and also not christian. So they had no problems taking advantage of the natives and treating them as less than equal. And that's what happened in Africa also.
Quote:
Here is a news flash bright guy, it is human nature to point out differences between people, so even if you have an all white society, it would still turn on itself b/c of the differences between themselves. blond haired vs red haired, left handed vs right handed, the majority will alway proscute the minority
Exactly, it's natural to distrust and dislike what is different from us. This paragraph goes completely against what you said in your first paragraph. It's not even thinking that the other group is inferior, it's just not liking them and not wanting to associate with them. And the larger the population involved, the more fractured the whole is.

It's also natural for a densely population group of animals or humans to feel stress and intense feelings of competition for any limited resources. So really, as the world population increases, the world economy worsens, and our environment is trashed... there is going to be even more strife between any given group of people, whether by race, nationality, religion or culture.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are you serious? I have never heard anyone (including die hard racist) argue for racism! The racist will argue tooth and nail why they believe that their race is better but not reason why racism is good.
What I am saying is, the act of racism itself preserves race, culture, identity, and heritage. As long as that racism never manifests itself in violence, it can't really be seen as either good nor evil. It doesn't matter if I am racist towards aliens or not, because I'll never meet an alien in my life.

They say the people who hate nature the most, are the ones most likely to preserve it. Not intentionally, but by not coming into contact with nature, they don't affect it. People who love nature live in it, they cut down trees to build their homes there. They build roads, they put up signs, they make trails. They destroy the very thing they love.

Quote:
My original statement comes from the fact that all of your examples against interracial relationships have been primarily geared towards blacks. I have come to the conclusion that you have a personal grudge against black people (did you get beat up by some black guys or did one take your girl?).
Never got into any sort of fight with a black person, in fact, I have never gotten into a fight with anyone that wasn't white, except this one asian kid when I was in junior high. And I won(even though it was hardly a fight). In hindsight, it was really my fault, I was only like 14 at the time, and he rode my bus and I was calling him a "*****". I didn't really mean anything by it, I was mostly just being kind of ornery. But he didn't like it, and told me not to call him that. But I was like "Why you getting mad? You're a ***** aren't you?" And then just punched me out of nowhere. But I was a lot bigger than he was, so I punched him back then I was trying to hold his arms so he wouldn't hit me(but I wasn't really trying to hurt him). Then he got one arm loose and he punched me again, so I punched him back, then I was trying to grab his arms again to keep him from hitting me, then the bus driver split it up. Even when I went to this almost all hispanic school, I still only ever got into a fight with a white guy(then we actually became friends afterwards).

I wouldn't say that I lost any girls to anyone. But there have been girls I sort of had a crush on(but they didn't know it at the time), who went out with other guys. But all of them were white.

Quote:
Racism is both taught and instinctual. Racism is the natural desire for "your people" to succeed. And it is also the natural inclination to distrust people that are not like you. This can also be in the form of nationalism, culturalism, classism, ethnocentrism, and many other forms. It can be seen across the world, and it is particularly bad in Africa. Where genocide and ethnic cleansing is common.

Americans were extremely fearful of communism, because we were afraid it would overrun the world, and negatively effect our lives. Not because a Russian ever did anything to us directly.

All of these human tendencies are the roots of racism. And the potential for this distrust and even hatred towards others is in of every human being alive today.

Quote:
I will agree, there are divisions everywhere. But some are larger than others. Race is an extremely large issue. Religion is an extremely large issue. Language is an extremely large issue. Everything else is hardly noticeable.

We could basically fix all three of the larger issues today, not hundreds of years in the future. So why don't we? Because we don't want to hurt anyones feelings?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times
Quote:
We could basically fix all three of the larger issues today, not hundreds of years in the future. So why don't we? Because we don't want to hurt anyones feelings?
What measures for fixing "all three of the larger issues today" have people not implemented due to not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I have seen interracial marriages and relationships all over the US. Actually there is far more of them in southern states like Virginia and North Carolina, and also very common in Texas between whites and Hispanics. Of course small numbers of people from older generations will be against it. I think its more of a cultural thing than a racial thing. I am of Asian descent but very assimilated and mainstream, but for someone who is not very assimilated and/or does not speak English well or have a good understanding of American culture I can understand how it can be difficult.

In my personal experience first generation immigrant parents are the ones MOST likely to forbid their kids from dating outside their race, or even their ethnicity. I am glad my parents and extended family are not like that and judge a person based on who they are as an individual. A lot of folks have stereotypes about races or any other groupings of people but most are willing to give the individual a chance. My mom's friend is Chinese American and he was racist and would not let his child marry a girl of Filipinno descent and how his son is 35 and still single and he blames himself everyday for it. So i hope more parents of all races can be more accepting.

The thing about some black people being angry with black men who marry white or other non black women, this ethnic identity thing is promoted by people like Jeremiah Wright, Al Sharpton, liberals etc just like the guy from St. Louis here pointed out. People are a LOT more race conscious in more liberal areas like the DC suburbs compared to less liberal areas like Virginia, NC, TX, or many other parts of Maryland including Baltimore (though the city itself is notoriously liberal and race conscious up to the point where recently the NAACP chairman worried about a "white" or "Irish" mayor being appointed after a past mayor was found guilty of corruption and resigned.) I have spend a lot of time in the South and people tend to treat me more as an individual and get to know me. I now go to grad school in a very liberal environment with mostly Northeast and California folks and I am asked why I don't act my race, like why don't I do stereotypical things like play ping pong and watch anime, or why I do "white" things like listen to country music, support Sarah Palin and enjoy country style food. Everyone is born a certain color but that shouldn't define who they are.

If Martin Luther King was alive today he would probably storm into Jeremiah Wright's church and tell him to shut the hell up.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I have spend a lot of time in the South and people tend to treat me more as an individual and get to know me. I now go to grad school in a very liberal environment with mostly Northeast and California folks and I am asked why I don't act my race, like why don't I do stereotypical things like play ping pong and watch anime, or why I do "white" things like listen to country music, support Sarah Palin and enjoy country style food. Everyone is born a certain color but that shouldn't define who they are.

If Martin Luther King was alive today he would probably storm into Jeremiah Wright's church and tell him to shut the hell up.
Ironic isn't it. From what I've been reading on another Asian-oriented board, it seems like Asians (men in particular) do fare better in the South than they do in the Northeast or California (SoCal especially).

Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
To those who say racism is natural, well, it isn't natural to me.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
To those who say racism is natural, well, it isn't natural to me.
I agree.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,393 times
It's been 94 pages...really is this thread seriously going on? People are are still arguing for racism, racial "purity" (what about people in India, different regions are different colors and have different characteristics, or people in the Caucasus, partly European, Asian, and Middle Eastern), and the such really are out of touch with reality IMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies