Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I agree.
Is nationalism also not natural?

Is it not natural to be concerned about other religions and cultures? And how those religions and cultures might affect your life in a negative way? Usually in the belief that your way-of-life is superior to others, and that others want you to conform to their ways.

Do you think those radical muslims actually believe that the Christian way is superior to their own?

Do you not feel more comfortable around people like yourself? Do you not care more about your family than you care about others?

How many people are there that insist they aren't racist, but have basically zero real friends who aren't their own race(especially anyone over the age of 25)?

How many people insist they aren't racist but don't date outside their own race, and do not approve of people dating outside their race? Why?

We can talk about Nationalism. Which is the belief that your nation is superior to others. That your way of life is greater than others. And many times this idea manifests itself in the belief that we should Americanize the world. Because we believe that America is exceptional and superior.

At the same time we cringe at the idea of French ideas or culture from permeating our own country. And try to reject their ideas at any cost.

Were we not afraid of communism? Did we really believe that the communists were going to invade the United States? Or were we just afraid their ideas and culture would spread and eventually affect us.

Many whites are fearful that blacks mixing with whites will dillute the white culture and heritage. That it will destroy the white way of life. They believe that blacks are different than whites on many more levels than just skin color. And believe that the black culture is damaging to America. They don't feel comfortable around these "outsiders".

I know people that will say that wanting to preserve your culture or religion is "natural". But these same people pretend that wanting to preserve your "people(race)" is unnatural, and should be fought against at all costs. Do you not see why these people are really just hypocrites? Do you not see why the constant fight against racism is politically motivated? And actually unnatural?

There is absolutely nothing abnormal about distrusting outsiders, people not like you. It is not abnormal to fear change, and want to preserve your way of life. There is absolutely nothing abnormal about believing that your people(whatever you define them as) are superior to others. And so there is nothing abnormal about racism.

Where people tend to disagree is over whether Africans, Europeans, and Asians are inherently different. This changes peoples perceptions of what constitutes an "outsider".

So what do you consider an outsider? How would you feel about different people living in your neighborhood? Dating your daughter? Living in your home? Apply these questions to different scenarios.

Someone from the same city, and went to the same school as your daughter?

Someone from another state? Lets say you are from California and they are from Texas.

Someone from another country? Maybe they are from Iraq or China.

Someone from another religion? Maybe they are a jew or muslim, and you are a Christian?

Someone who speaks another language? Or has a different culture? Or is a different race/ethnicity?

How do you identify your group? Who do you feel comfortable around? Do you think everyone will agree with you? If they don't agree with you, do you insist they must be wrong, backwards, ignorant, or just plain stupid? If there are so many different opinions, how does anyone really know who is right and who is wrong?

From the conclusions I have seen from mixing races/cultures/religions in the same territory. The results are almost wholly bad. It increases distrust, it increases violence, it increases crime, and it is does not make anyone happy. There was a study saying that not only does diversity increase distrust between the races. But it also increases distrust within the same race. You have whites fighting against whites and blacks fighting against blacks directly because of that diversity.

I have no idea why anyone would believe that diversity is ever good. It seriously boggles my mind.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
HAHAHAHA!..........

Damn, that's funny!

She's comparing humans to bears..........LOL.

There is a difference you know? Ah shucks, some of you are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
At the risk of sounding like a racist, which I am not. I believe that mixing the races is not a good idea.

In nature, it almost never occurs. Tigers mate with tigers, Polar Bears mate with Polar Bears. It is the natural order of things. Even birds do not cross-breed with other types of birds. You may say that dogs will cross breed, but in actual fact, dogs are all the same. They simply look different because they have been differentiated by selective breeding for certain characteristics. In a natural environment, there would be only wolves and they would not breed with coyotes or foxes.

Many people might disagree that humans are all the same not separate "breeds", but I disagree with this statement. Each "race" has their own characteristics that have evolved over millions and millions of years to adapt to their unique environment. While we are not as dependent on environmental factors as we once were, I agree with the statement that when you mix races you weaken both of them because there are factors involved that we may not have any knowledge or understanding of.

There is nothing wrong with the desire to keep a race pure. Be it white or black or any other color. I believe that we owe it to our racial heritage to not mix races (or cultures either for that matter).

It's just my opinion, anyway.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
LMAO.........you get you research from Youtube. That's the same place I go for As* shaking vidoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Actually, it's not my opinion. It is an opinion I adopted from a video tape by Dr. Sebi (it's on Youtube.com) He is the one that brought forth this hypothesis based upon what he has learned regarding nutrition. If you listen to him you will find that african-american people are very physiologically different than white people (I only use that term because I don't know how to spell caucasians). His theory is that black and white people need different diets because of the difference in their physiological make up. And part of his theory includes IRR.

Until I heard him speak on this, I had a vague sense of why I thought it was probably not a good idea, but I had never put those thoughts into words nor expressed them. He did such a good jof of expressing the concept, I was utterly convinced that what I had been thinking/feeling on a subliminal level was validated.

He is a black man, by the way. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Damn, that's funny!

She's comparing humans to bears..........LOL.

There is a difference you know? Ah shucks, some of you are great.
Why are humans and bears different? Why are humans and dogs different? You do realize that Europeans and Africans are about as similar to each other, as a Wolf is similar to a Chihuahua?

I am not making this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It's been 94 pages...really is this thread seriously going on? People are are still arguing for racism, racial "purity" (what about people in India, different regions are different colors and have different characteristics, or people in the Caucasus, partly European, Asian, and Middle Eastern), and the such really are out of touch with reality IMO...
I don't think anyone is arguing for racial purity. There is really no such thing as racial purity. What does exist from one region of the world to another, are people that are extremely similar to one another. These highly similar people tend to form a strong regional identity. This cultural/racial/religious/lingual identity helps unite these common people, and it creates almost an extended family. Where people tend to be more empathetic to each others circumstances. Those groups tend to want to help each other more(voluntarily) to better the lives of everyone within that identified group. And are much less likely to have large disagreements or hate each other, because there is so little that divides them.

Which is also why small countries tend to be much more happy than large countries.

I am not advocating racial purity. I am arguing the preservation of culture, language, and ethnicities/race. I am advocating the desire for like-minded people to have their own space. Where they can do whatever it is that they believe is in their best interest. Without people like yourself making condescending remarks because you want to tell everyone else how they should live their lives.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Is nationalism also not natural?

Nations are human constructs.

Is it not natural to be concerned about other religions and cultures? And how those religions and cultures might affect your life in a negative way? Usually in the belief that your way-of-life is superior to others, and that others want you to conform to their ways.

As are religions and cultures.

Do you think those radical muslims actually believe that the Christian way is superior to their own?

Not natural constructs.

Do you not feel more comfortable around people like yourself? Do you not care more about your family than you care about others?

No. Hence why some people work in non-profit or other helping professions.

How many people are there that insist they aren't racist, but have basically zero real friends who aren't their own race(especially anyone over the age of 25)?

All of my friends are different races, because not to many people are mixed.

How many people insist they aren't racist but don't date outside their own race, and do not approve of people dating outside their race? Why?

Same thing. Simply because many date their own race doesn't mean it's entirely natural. It's more a social construct.

We can talk about Nationalism. Which is the belief that your nation is superior to others. That your way of life is greater than others. And many times this idea manifests itself in the belief that we should Americanize the world. Because we believe that America is exceptional and superior.

At the same time we cringe at the idea of French ideas or culture from permeating our own country. And try to reject their ideas at any cost.

Yeah, that's not a good thing or even "natural" thing...

Were we not afraid of communism? Did we really believe that the communists were going to invade the United States? Or were we just afraid their ideas and culture would spread and eventually affect us.

Again not natural.

Many whites are fearful that blacks mixing with whites will dillute the white culture and heritage. That it will destroy the white way of life. They believe that blacks are different than whites on many more levels than just skin color. And believe that the black culture is damaging to America. They don't feel comfortable around these "outsiders".

Isn't this more based on taught social norms?

I know people that will say that wanting to preserve your culture or religion is "natural". But these same people pretend that wanting to preserve your "people(race)" is unnatural, and should be fought against at all costs. Do you not see why these people are really just hypocrites? Do you not see why the constant fight against racism is politically motivated? And actually unnatural?

See above...

There is absolutely nothing abnormal about distrusting outsiders, people not like you. It is not abnormal to fear change, and want to preserve your way of life. There is absolutely nothing abnormal about believing that your people(whatever you define them as) are superior to others. And so there is nothing abnormal about racism.

Umm...yeah seeing how modern racism is really from the 1500s or so, it really is a social construct. Prior to this time, people hated each other on other differences besides race. In fact, the Greeks believed Ethiopians were SUPERIOR to them (they though the gods dined in Africa).

Where people tend to disagree is over whether Africans, Europeans, and Asians are inherently different. This changes peoples perceptions of what constitutes an "outsider".

Which goes back to the idea that it's not natural, but socially driven.

So what do you consider an outsider? How would you feel about different people living in your neighborhood? Dating your daughter? Living in your home? Apply these questions to different scenarios.

See above.

Someone from the same city, and went to the same school as your daughter?

Okay...

Someone from another state? Lets say you are from California and they are from Texas.

umm...

Someone from another country? Maybe they are from Iraq or China.

So?

Someone from another religion? Maybe they are a jew or muslim, and you are a Christian?

Wouldn't care.

Someone who speaks another language? Or has a different culture? Or is a different race/ethnicity?

See above.

How do you identify your group? Who do you feel comfortable around? Do you think everyone will agree with you? If they don't agree with you, do you insist they must be wrong, backwards, ignorant, or just plain stupid? If there are so many different opinions, how does anyone really know who is right and who is wrong?

On this particular issue, yes they would be backwards and wrong.

From the conclusions I have seen from mixing races/cultures/religions in the same territory. The results are almost wholly bad. It increases distrust, it increases violence, it increases crime, and it is does not make anyone happy. There was a study saying that not only does diversity increase distrust between the races. But it also increases distrust within the same race. You have whites fighting against whites and blacks fighting against blacks directly because of that diversity.

No. My town was the nations least segregated city. It's crime was slightly below the national average, the income slightly above. The biggest fights weren't racially motivated, but more due to petty suburban things. It's a med. sized city of nearly 200k now. The IE is generally considered the nation's least segregated region, and it's pretty safe and VERY middle class. Many cities in California are very racially mixed and very affluent and low crime.

The cause for distrust different races isn't due to mixing, but rather due to fear mongering within races. Poor whites being fed lies that Blacks were out to take their jobs led to violence. As for whites fighting whites...that didn't happen due to diversity (only possibly if one suspected that the other was aligned with a Black person, then yes).

I have no idea why anyone would believe that diversity is ever good. It seriously boggles my mind.

That's because it's in the realm of logic and reality. Diversity of thought and providing various viewpoints have helped in technology, understanding our history, and even finding solutions to many problems. Having one viewpoint limits you greatly.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
I don't think anyone is arguing for racial purity. There is really no such thing as racial purity. What does exist from one region of the world to another, are people that are extremely similar to one another. These highly similar people tend to form a strong regional identity. This cultural/racial/religious/lingual identity helps unite these common people, and it creates almost an extended family. Where people tend to be more empathetic to each others circumstances. Those groups tend to want to help each other more(voluntarily) to better the lives of everyone within that identified group. And are much less likely to have large disagreements or hate each other, because there is so little that divides them.

Your stance is that races shouldn't mix, therefore racial purity...Also there are regions where there is much DISIMILARITY.

Which is also why small countries tend to be much more happy than large countries.

I am not advocating racial purity. I am arguing the preservation of culture, language, and ethnicities/race. I am advocating the desire for like-minded people to have their own space. Where they can do whatever it is that they believe is in their best interest. Without people like yourself making condescending remarks because you want to tell everyone else how they should live their lives.

That's advocating for racial purity...you do realize that right?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 AM

So you honestly do not believe that there is anything natural about people distrusting other people that are not like them? You do not believe there is anything natural about fear of change? That anyone who distrusts people who are from another culture, race, religion, or region of the world, only distrusts them because they are told to distrust them?Where do these crazy social norms come from? They have to start somewhere?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 AM

There is a difference between advocating racial purity, and calling for some common sense to actually be applied in the real world. Just because common sense has the unintentional outcome of racial purity is merely a coincedence. That is like saying that supporting welfare means you support drug abuse and out of wedlock births. Because that is also the unintentional consequences of the welfare system.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
So you honestly do not believe that there is anything natural about people distrusting other people that are not like them? You do not believe there is anything natural about fear of change? That anyone who distrusts people who are from another culture, race, religion, or region of the world, only distrusts them because they are told to distrust them?Where do these crazy social norms come from? They have to start somewhere?
No, bigotry is not natural. Bigotry is not a social norm. As far as where they start, well simple lack of understanding a long time ago perhaps? People a long time ago use to believe the world was flat, that was passed on from generation to generation. Did it make it right? Of course not. Now anyone who thinks the world is flat would be deemed a complete lunatic as they base things off of previous assumptions which were wrong. Well, same thing with people against interracial marriage, or the thought one group is superior to the others, its pure garbage based off idiotic assumptions

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 AM

Who is saying that diversity of skin-color, race, religion, and culture produces greater diversity of thought? Why does a group of racially or culturally diverse people mean anything at all? I really think you put far too much value on diversity. America was basically the opposite of diverse for a very very long time, and in that time we had the greatest increase in technology and innovation in history. Do you really believe that modern technology has truly been bettered to any extent because of diversity? Japan is one of the least diverse countries in the world, and they want to be that way. So why are they so technologically advanced? Does diversity really mean anything at all? Or was it just some ridiculous goal to try to prove how great and wonderful we are because we are so tolerant, in an attempt to erase the legacy of slavery and immorality in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies