Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 12:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times

Advertisements

Before I answer your question, you will have to define what the problem is in numerical order and only list the ones of greatest importance... I know that the current healthcare reform bill is focused mostly on the UNINSURED... not rising healthcare costs... so you will have to be more specific on "what" the problem is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Before I answer your question, you will have to define what the problem is in numerical order and only list the ones of greatest importance... I know that the current healthcare reform bill is focused mostly on the UNINSURED... not rising healthcare costs... so you will have to be more specific on "what" the problem is...
It is not focused on the uninsured. I have always had insurance, but there has still been gaping problems for me personally:

- the caps, which have driven tens of thousands of people into bankrupsy
- pre-existing conditions, which prevent people from getting insurance
- lack of competition in the insurance market, which forces people to choose from one or two plans
- rising cost, where the price if health care doubles every 8 years

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I ate alot of this kind of food when I was in college as I couldn't afford anything else. Of course I could have just dropped out of school and got a full time job. Instead though, I understood the concept of sacrificing for the long run, and preparing myself to earn more through that sacrifice. Instead though, people want to have their cake and eat it too. Sacrifice, get insurance, get healthy, better yourself. Stop whinning.

Absolutly. I drove a car that was 12 years old AFTER I graduated college and got a job. I didn't want a car payment and wanted to save money to buy a house which has a much better return in investment than a depreciating car. Anybody that can't afford healthcare should buy a car with cash that gets them from point A to point B.

In a tent? No, not really. If anybody though buys a house and takes on a mortgage and doesn't even have health insurance, they are completely bass akwards. Rent an apartment and save.

Absolutley. Nobody is ENTITLED to anything. Figure out, at a minimum, how to provide for yourself. Stop looking at everybody else in the community to provide for you.

Drive a clunker, eat cheap healthy food, rent an apartment.... and you can afford to buy health insurance. Your issue is, you don't WANT to buy health insurance because you would rather have a new car, eat at nice restaurants, and buy a big house. Then, you get sick, and look at me and scream "its not fair" like a child and expect everybody else to pay for your health.

Unreal.
I believe the problems that many people face today are self inflicted, like shooting yourself in the foot, people get in over their heads, and find out the hard way that there's no way out of it. People should try to live within their means, get a pencil-paper-and calculator out, figure what their earnings are and what they can spend on food, housing, clothing etc.. it's called a BUDGET.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 PM

300 posts, read 430,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
One can live a resonably good life without having a home telephone. The same cannot be said for health care.
I don't know if I'd agree with the above.

First, I have patients come to see me - their first doctor visit in decades. Yet, the home phone is needed for basic things - like calling the Police or Fire Department in case of an emergency. Or, staying in contact with family and close friends.

No, I can't agree with your statement above

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
I wonder how many small businesses would still be in business today if it were not for the unfair health care issues..... I can say one company for sure , that would be the one I was CEO of .

Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
How does the fact that they didn't make these proposals less valid?

There are many reasons, 9/11, war on two fronts, terrorism. The plate was rather full.
A full plate had nothing to do with it. Republicans dont care about poor peoples problems. They want you to die and sufer if you cant make a cool million. And before you reply I have Health ins. but I see all the time what happens to people who dont. The ins industry did this to themselves with thier own greed. The american people see right through the hateful rights lies. They had a chance they didnt want to help anyone but they love to finance wars with tax money. I never heard a Bushy once complain about the defecit and taxes 2000-2008 now they march on Washington what a bunch of hyprocrits

Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality, 2000 to 2006 is a very short period of time compared to nearly five decades of a Democrat-controlled Congress.

But to be fair, both political sides in power benefit from not doing anything about it. The same can be said about pork in Congress, military contracting, and the rest (they all benefit from these things).
I agree but you will never get the gop to admit to that. They say they didnt spend this country out but they did and now all they want is to destroy this president anything else is secondary to them

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
These ideas have surfaced before. The minority party wrote proposals and amendments to include these items and others but the Dems. never let them see the light of day.

We are being steam-rolled by a 7 Trillion pound train called corruption in the name of governmental grab for power and greed. WAKE UP!

This has absolutely nothing to do with healthcare. It has everything to do with setting up the foundation for a single-payer Socialized Medicine system.

You have the rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness; government does not have the right to take that away. Yet, with control of medical care they will.
See this what I dont get,republicans could have passed these ideas when they were in power. Instead they just let it get more out of control. Now they want me to believe that if they get power back they will fix it. I dont think so

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
The problem is equitable trade.

What it now costs to buy health care and materials is far greater than in any other time in history.

If you truly want universal health care, you need to decriminalize the giving of care, decriminalize the purchase of medicine and medical machinery, expand medical training and education, and eliminate tort liability by "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

In short, get government entirely OUT of the health care system. And eliminate the need for "insurance" (usurers) from skimming a hefty profit (20% and more!) from monies that should have gone to pay medical expenses.

And while we're at it - stop taking tax money to give to care givers.
Just stop taking taxes from care givers who do not charge their patients.

Of course, such a reform will never happen, because no government willingly surrenders its power, nor its revenue.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I don't know if I'd agree with the above.

First, I have patients come to see me - their first doctor visit in decades. Yet, the home phone is needed for basic things - like calling the Police or Fire Department in case of an emergency. Or, staying in contact with family and close friends.

No, I can't agree with your statement above
I see your point about calling the fire department or police department.
Of course the family and friends thing could easily be solved with writing letters or going to the public library to shoot them an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies