Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think the American people object to the cost, to being forced to buy insurance, being forced to pay for abortions etc. I hope the Dems are as misinformed as you are, calling the American people cry babies is a sure fire way to get their votes.
Quit lying!!!!!!! Show me where I called American people cry babies??????? I said two times that the Republican politicians got what they asked for, and still continue to CRY about everything. If you can't answer the question, just say you don't have an answer, as opposed to trying to lie your way out of it.

And unlike you I don't care how many seats a party wins of loses in 2010. I care about the issues, not the seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I lean mostly to the left liberal side, but I am not so sure of the current bill that is going through the Senate. It looks like everyone was paid off to get what they want for their own state just to pass it. There is no doubt we need to reform the current system, so what would be your plan? I am currently one of the people who work full time, but my employer offers no insurance, and I cannot afford private insurance. Still, I feel this bill is flawed, so I thought I would ask the other side for their viewpoint.
In my opinion, interstate insurance regulations should be lifted. Government has been controlling healthcare insurers for too long, stiffling competition, and creating monopolies per state. In my opinion, these restrictions should be lifted and allow insurance companies to participate in a competitive market.

Additionally, I think that anybody that can't pay for hospital and doctors visits should be sent to their local county hospital. These people will receive the minimum treatment necessary, provided with generic drugs, and sent on their way. A clinic of sorts. These hospitals can minimize overhead burden by offering emergency services a step above clinic operations and doctors will be provided for regular visits and non-emergency issues. Private hospitals will not be required to serve anybody who doesn't have the ability to pay.

The fight over appropriate costs per procedure should be the same regardless of who is paying the bill. Insurers, patients, medicare all pay the same rate for services and phamacuticals. I don't think that these prices should be stipulated by the government. Allowing competition in the market as explained above will reduce costs for patients.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal opinon, but it is incorrect. You need to do some fact-checking. There are 25 million underinsured, and the number is skyrocketing The cost is rolled onto the paying customer just like in the case of someone who doesn't have insurance at all. Sorry.

Mmm you do realize that this in no way describes what percentage they contribute to imbalance in charges. The uninsured are a vastly larger problem than the underinsured.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
That is complete silliness and rewriting of history. Snow, Collins and others were willing to be part of the process and were shut out. The vast majority of the country doesn't want what is before them. Congress is thumbing their nose at the public and stuffing this crap sandwich down their throats. Voters will remember in November who did this.
I agree that what is before us is flawed. Its all in the favor of the Insurance giants. However , a point can be made that some progress is better than none. I , for one , think Bernie Sanders , has said it best. he is voting for the plan , reluctance.

Snow, Collins were always on the fence, the good of the country should not be held hostage by a few , and , that includes some Dem's. also.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,841 times
Quote:
I lean mostly to the left liberal side, but I am not so sure of the current bill that is going through the Senate. It looks like everyone was paid off to get what they want for their own state just to pass it. There is no doubt we need to reform the current system, so what would be your plan? I am currently one of the people who work full time, but my employer offers no insurance, and I cannot afford private insurance. Still, I feel this bill is flawed, so I thought I would ask the other side for their viewpoint.
To fix health care you need to understand why it is broken in the first place. Then you fix what broke it. And what broke health care is government. During WWII the government imposed wage and price controls. Those controls were not lifted after the war. Which meant that business could not compete for the available labor by offering higher, competitive wages. In other words government distorted the the market for labor. So business figured a way to make lemonade from these lemons. They began offering free medical insurance to attract workers. Those fringe benefits were not covered by the government wage controls. Thus began the distortion of the health care system in this country.

The reason employer-funded health insurance distorts the health care market is because it leaves out the patient as the cost-conscious consumer. When you have no idea what your health care costs because a third party pays for it, i.e., the insurer, you have no incentive to shop around to get the best price for your health care dollar. Also you have no incentive to be conservative in your use of health care services. You have a sniffle you go to the doctor. So our health care became over used and over priced. Health insurance premiums rose in response.

Then government really screwed it up with Medicare and Medicaid. Neither program pays health care providers the true cost of their services. To make up the loss providers shifted costs to their insured patients. So insurance premiums went up in response.

The more government tinkered with health care the more unaffordable it became and the more businesses stopped paying for health insurance for their employees or pushed the increased cost of premiums onto the employees. So more and more people lost their insurance and screamed for government to do something. And now we are doing something--more government.

The real solution: get government out of health care entirely. Let supply and demand work to reflect the true cost of health care which has been grossly distorted by government intervention. Going back the to very beginning, stop letting business deduct the cost of paying health care premiums. The savings from not providing health insurance should be passed on the the employees in the form of higher wages which the workers could then use to pay for their own health insurance. In other words create a true health insurance market, across state lines, without dictating what kind of policies an insurer could sell. So a young worker could purchase minimal insurance and an older worker would purchase more--reflecting their own health insurance needs (the higher premium that a younger driver pays for auto insurance would be reversed for health insurance. Because younger people need less health care their premiums would be lower). Competition would drive down the cost of health insurance so that it would become affordable for the vast majority of people.

For the uninsurables their purchase of health insurance (which would be expensive because of pre-existing conditions) could be subsidized by the taxpayer. Meaning that the individual would pay the ordinary cost of insurance that evertbody pays for that age group and the government would pickup the difference of the more costly policy caused by the pre-existing condition.

Health insurance is a commodity, just like auto or home insurance. The free market is able to price those commodities to keep them affordable for most people. The same thing can happen to health insurance if only government would stop screwing it up.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Quit lying!!!!!!! Show me where I called American people cry babies??????? I said two times that the Republican politicians got what they asked for, and still continue to CRY about everything. If you can't answer the question, just say you don't have an answer, as opposed to trying to lie your way out of it.

And unlike you I don't care how many seats a party wins of loses in 2010. I care about the issues, not the seats.
You somehow think the Republicans do not represent the majority of Americans even after being shown evidence they do. If you are calling Republicans cry babies you are calling Americans cry babies since the Republicans reflect the will of the people.

I told you before but by you response I see you have comprehension issues so I will type slowly. Republicans and the majority of Americans object to the cost, being forced to by insurance, being forced to pay for abortions etc.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
Mmm you do realize that this in no way describes what percentage they contribute to imbalance in charges. The uninsured are a vastly larger problem than the underinsured.
You're right.

Just like the uninsured, the underinsured just don't go to the doctor.

Many people pay premiums every month for policies and then they don't use them because they can't afford to pay the deductible and for their out of pocket expenses.

The insurance companies do extremely well on those high deductible policies.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post

Health insurance is a commodity, just like auto or home insurance. The free market is able to price those commodities to keep them affordable for most people. The same thing can happen to health insurance if only government would stop screwing it up.
The Health Ins. Industry certainly has done a good job doing that so far, right?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
You somehow think the Republicans do not represent the majority of Americans even after being shown evidence they do. If you are calling Republicans cry babies you are calling Americans cry babies since the Republicans reflect the will of the people.

I told you before but by you response I see you have comprehension issues so I will type slowly. Republicans and the majority of Americans object to the cost, being forced to by insurance, being forced to pay for abortions etc.
With all due respect... and, I do realize that you weren't talking to me...

But, ... if there are more Republicans than Democrats in America, how is it that we elected a Democratic president ???

I happen to live in one of the few states where McCain was the winner.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
You needed to start a thread seeking a conservative opinion on this subject? wow

Did you bother to read any of these threads in the P&OC forum?

You CAN afford health insurance for yourself, of course you'll have to give up a few things to pay for it yourself. Be a conservative and give up all of the following:
smoking cigarettes
drinking alcohol
soda pop

START eating more beans and weenies, eat rice, potatoes, and cheaper stuff, hamburger is bad for you, as is any red meat, in which case eat tuna or canned fish

Buy a clunker, those car payments simply have to go.

Live like a hermit in a tent in a city park, your apartment rent or house payments have to go.

See, problems solved.

One more thing, don't get sick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies