Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

We need single payer health care. Should not be a politics talking point , ether side. It works for the rest of the civilized world , it will work here ! Get it done ( will happen at some point anyway ) , then move on to the things that are different amoung Parties. Alls fair in our views , except health Care. Why can't we get behond it ?....we need too, for the good of the People.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe when a government forces citizens, against their will, out of private self-insured plans and into whatever plan the HHS deems appropriate under penalty of fines or jail, that is indeed government run healthcare. When the government runs it, it is socialized.
Which country are you talking about, because nothing like that is being proposed here in US?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Did I say Socilized ? I guess I should have...its not a dirty word. Listen to Bernnie Sanders , he is the only one thats sane in this battle that should not be a battle.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which country are you talking about, because nothing like that is being proposed here in US?
I know you read all 2100 pages of the bill but you must have missed the part where HHS has the authority to dictate the minimum requirements of health insurance plans. Therefore if a person has a plan that does not meet their standards they will be forced to switch, and perhaps pay more.

If folks do not have health insurance they will be fined, if they do not pay the fines and get insurance they can be jailed.

Change you can believe in!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I know you read all 2100 pages of the bill but you must have missed the part where HHS has the authority to dictate the minimum requirements of health insurance plans. Therefore if a person has a plan that does not meet their standards they will be forced to switch, and perhaps pay more.
It's too late to continue the misinformation / fear campaign, because the truth has already slipped out.

You said people will be forced to switch out of private plans into something else. Well, there won't be any government plans, so all plans will be private.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
bull competion has alway brought costs down.economies of scale means nothing to me what the heck does that mean? i own my business 30 yrs. i know that competion keeps my prices low and in line. it works.period
Economies of scale means that having a very large pool sharing costs, makes health care more affordable for everyone. It's a basic principle in economics. A truly competitive market would put the health insurance industry out of business overnight. That's why they fight against it so hard.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's too late to continue the misinformation / fear campaign, because the truth has already slipped out.

You said people will be forced to switch out of private plans into something else. Well, there won't be any government plans, so all plans will be private.
Mmm nice try the government will dictate the minimum requirements of insurance if a particular policy does not meet that minimum that policy will no longer be allowed and people will have to switch to another policy which could cost more.

I know you guys desperately what to run away form this thing. You can't you own it. And of course I never mentioned a government plan but you guys need to make stuff up because that is all you have left. So sad.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Medicare needs a lot of cleaning up of waste and abuse. That is very clear. The Obama Administration is very serious about the need to do that, it has been ignored for too long. The bill working thru the Congress addresses that problem to the tune of 500 billion. This plan is ambitious to say the least, but doable without degrading coverage. They could probably do that just in the Advantage plans. That, however, will be difficult since Dems and Repubs both get substantial funding from the Ins Cos. But there is plenty of waste and fraud that can be cleaned up that don't have so much political baggage.
If its 0bama saying it, i have no faith that he either means it,or can muster the gumption to do anything about it. We just had democrats praising the inclusion of age 55 to Medicare, it does not sound like they care much at all to fix it, the seem satisfied to just grow it.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Assume that tort reform and selling across state lines lowers the OPERATING COST of insurers and doctors.

What about the RETAIL PRICE (premiums) to consumers?

Do you think for one second that insurance companies are going to pass on their lower costs and lower premiums? Keep in mind that competition is a moot point due to their exemption.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Assume that tort reform and selling across state lines lowers the OPERATING COST of insurers and doctors.

What about the RETAIL PRICE (premiums) to consumers?

Do you think for one second that insurance companies are going to pass on their lower costs and lower premiums? Keep in mind that competition is a moot point due to their exemption.
It is a little more complicated than you may think.

"Still, some health economists question whether breaking up big insurance companies with federal antitrust laws will help consumers.

"What you may find is that it's the opposite — that you break them up and they can't bargain down prices and, therefore, while they're competing at the margin, they're all competing at a higher level of premium than you had before," says Austin Frakt of Boston University's School of Public Health. "That's certainly possible.""

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=114063950
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies