Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Oh yes inadequate insurance policies are a huge problem. LOL.

No the reason premiums have shot through the roof are many fold but inadequate insurance ain't one of them.
One reason for high health care costs is the huge advances in medical technology, and the large price tag it brings with it.

Every small town hospital has their own lab, and can process blood and tissue samples, and many have their own top of the line imaging systems, like a CT or MRI, the same cannot be said for the Canadian health care system. If we want to cut costs, we can start by discouraging the purchase of all these expensive medical devices, which if probably why the democrats want to start taxing them.

Doctors want to cure whatever ailments their patients have, so they proscribe the best medicines, the best lab tests and request the best imaging system scan, so another way to cut costs is to get doctors to stop trying to cure everyone all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
One reason for high health care costs is the huge advances in medical technology, and the large price tag it brings with it.

Every small town hospital has their own lab, and can process blood and tissue samples, and many have their own top of the line imaging systems, like a CT or MRI, the same cannot be said for the Canadian health care system. If we want to cut costs, we can start by discourage the purchase of all these expensive medical devices, which if probably why the democrats want to start taxing them.

Doctors want to cure whatever ailments their patients have, so they proscribe the best medicines, the best lab tests and request the best imaging system scan, so another way to cut costs is to get doctors to stop trying to cure everyone all the time.
Without tort reform this will be difficult. With lawyers on the TV all the time encouraging people to sue at the drop of a hat physicians are practicing defensive medicine.

By the way the Republicans are the ones who want to tax the Cadillac health insurance plans which pay for all this technology but the unions won't allow the Dems to go along with it.

I also wouldn't hold Canada up as a paragon, they have cut way too much.

CP24- Parents separated from baby after transfer to US hospital because they lack passports - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

"A provincewide search for an open neonatal intensive care unit bed came up empty, leaving no choice but to send the two pound, four ounce baby to Buffalo."

Old 12-23-2009, 08:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
No the reason premiums have shot through the roof are many fold but inadequate insurance ain't one of them.
Yes, they surely are. Who do you think the hospitals passes the expenses to? Those who have adequate insurance. If you have minimal coverage, the insurance will cover small part of the bill, and the rest of passed onto paying customers.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the left is defining the Republicans listening to the will of the people as "crying". There will be a lot of drying on the left in November 2010..
Well, what are they crying about? Practically every measure they have suggested has been added onto the bill, yet all we hear is crying and whining.

I couldn't care less about how many seats Dems lose or win in 2010. Only a true partisan hack prioritizes such things on top.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I lean mostly to the left liberal side, but I am not so sure of the current bill that is going through the Senate. It looks like everyone was paid off to get what they want for their own state just to pass it. There is no doubt we need to reform the current system, so what would be your plan? I am currently one of the people who work full time, but my employer offers no insurance, and I cannot afford private insurance. Still, I feel this bill is flawed, so I thought I would ask the other side for their viewpoint.
Las Vegas Drunk?
And you want to be taken seriously?

Figures you "lean mostly to the liberal side" .

Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, they surely are. Who do you think the hospitals passes the expenses to? Those who have adequate insurance. If you have minimal coverage, the insurance will cover small part of the bill, and the rest of passed onto paying customers.
Mmmm nope it is those with no insurance who contribute the vast majority of the of the payment imbalances plus Medicare dictating below cost reimbursement for many procedures. Inadequate insurance simply isn't a blip on the radar.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, what are they crying about? Practically every measure they have suggested has been added onto the bill, yet all we hear is crying and whining.

I couldn't care less about how many seats Dems lose or win in 2010. Only a true partisan hack prioritizes such things on top.
I think the American people object to the cost, to being forced to buy insurance, being forced to pay for abortions etc. I hope the Dems are as misinformed as you are, calling the American people cry babies is a sure fire way to get their votes.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Las Vegas Drunk?
And you want to be taken seriously?

Figures you "lean mostly to the liberal side" .
So far this thread has been great, so let's not ruin it with personal attacks.
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2881%29.jpg (broken link) I have learned a lot, and many great ideas have been proposed so far.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Mmmm nope it is those with no insurance who contribute the vast majority of the of the payment imbalances plus Medicare dictating below cost reimbursement for many procedures. Inadequate insurance simply isn't a blip on the radar.
Thanks for sharing your personal opinon, but it is incorrect. You need to do some fact-checking. There are 25 million underinsured, and the number is skyrocketing The cost is rolled onto the paying customer just like in the case of someone who doesn't have insurance at all. Sorry.

Quote:
The number of underinsured U.S. adults—that is, people who have health coverage that does not adequately protect them from high medical expenses—has risen dramatically, a Commonwealth Fund study finds. As of 2007, there were an estimated 25 million underinsured adults in the United States, up 60 percent from 2003. How Many Are Underinsured? Trends Among U.S. Adults, 2003 and 2007 - The Commonwealth Fund

Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Wrong! The people do not want universal health care, run by the federal government. Just ask beam:

“UPS and Fed Ex are doing just fine. It’s the Post Office that’s always having problems”
We have Socialized health care now, have for a long time, its just for Seniors. Do you honestly think the Seniors want to give it up ? NO , and , yes I am one of them.
When you take a poll , ask a question , its all how you ask it. If the approach was to just extend Social security to everyone , the debate would be over. THAT is the question that should have been asked. The AARP is in favor of the current approach, and , they don't take a stand unless its favored by their members. Thats good enough for me.

If there was a movement to end the Post office , and give it over to private industry , the effort would be rejected by the public. Same for most Government plans and " give a ways " as many call them. Propel do not want to lose something they already have , one of the reasons this thing is so hard to get passed..... The Unions have some great health care plans, the members do not want to lose.... Take a poll from the prospective of what people want and need and should be entitled too , and the results will be different. It depends so much just where you are sitting , employed, retired , dispute, in foreclosure , in the Union , small business owner, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies