Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
No wonder they believe they are the majority.

If anyone dares to disagree with them, they yell, scream, curse at and belittle you until you shut up and go away.

Just remember that these are the some of the same people that will be standing next to you in church next Sunday.
Ummmm hate to break it to you but......

Gallup Reports that Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 50 States - WSJ.com

"Conservatives outnumber liberals in nearly every state, but not in D.C."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
As you say you can't determine what percentage disagree for what reasons but no is no. People on either side of the issue who are against it are grateful for a no vote. Therefore Republicans represent their opinion on this thing which is NO!
Republican opinion is always NO, even if they get what they want, which is the case here. Two posts ago you said people who oppose the bill do so because of the cost, and Republicans speak for those people, and now you're saying they also speak for those who want MORE added to the bill.

Which is it and how exactly will they manage to appease both groups?

As for polls in general, I do not trust them for two reasons:

1. No one has EVER asked me a poll question, so I must question whose opinion they reflect. The answer it that they reflect the opinion of less then 0.001% of the population.

2. They can be so easily misinterpreted, and I think you just proved that point by misunderstanding the polls you offered.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Quote:
Ummmm hate to break it to you but......

Gallup Reports that Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 50 States - WSJ.com

"Conservatives outnumber liberals in nearly every state, but not in D.C."
You really like polls, don't you?

Anyone can prove anything with a poll. Polls are a scientific survey.

I'm pretty sure that if you did a City Data poll on this forum that your group would win here, too.

That certainly explains the election for me....

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-23-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
You needed to start a thread seeking a conservative opinion on this subject? wow

Did you bother to read any of these threads in the P&OC forum?

You CAN afford health insurance for yourself, of course you'll have to give up a few things to pay for it yourself. Be a conservative and give up all of the following:
smoking cigarettes
drinking alcohol
soda pop

START eating more beans and weenies, eat rice, potatoes, and cheaper stuff, hamburger is bad for you, as is any red meat, in which case eat tuna or canned fish

Buy a clunker, those car payments simply have to go.

Live like a hermit in a tent in a city park, your apartment rent or house payments have to go.

See, problems solved.

One more thing, don't get sick....
Other than drinking alcohol, I do all that. I do not smoke or drink soda. I drive a clunker that I paid $500 for, and I rent a room out someone else's condo.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What some others have said, plus:

1. Not a government take-over (like it's being done now)
2. Stop frivolous lawsuits (against doctors, clinics, hospitals, medicine producers or developers, medical equipment producers, etc.).
3. Have the insurance companies centralizing billing and other paperwork, etc., so that all insurance companies go through the same central point.

The government should only provide health care only to US citizens who can't afford or are incapable of buying their own insurance, and never to force US citizens to buy insurance.
How are we having a government take over?

If by government takeover you mean the health care industry has bought off a majority in Congress then yes you are right about that.

The government is NOT taking over health care. They are just shoveling lots of taxpayers dollars to the health care industry in the form of subsidies for people to obtain private health insurance and so Big Pharma can still overcharge people and the government will foot the bill along with the health insurance companies.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Republican opinion is always NO, even if they get what they want, which is the case here. Two posts ago you said people who oppose the bill do so because of the cost, and Republicans speak for those people, and now you're saying they also speak for those who want MORE added to the bill.

Which is it and how exactly will they manage to appease both groups?

As for polls in general, I do not trust them for two reasons:

1. No one has EVER asked me a poll question, so I must question whose opinion they reflect. The answer it that they reflect the opinion of less then 0.001% of the population.

2. They can be so easily misinterpreted, and I think you just proved that point by misunderstanding the polls you offered.
I did not provide an exhaustive list of reasons hence the use of "etc.". I have said all along the Republicans represent the people who do not want this thing, anyone who cares to can read each post and see I say the same thing again and again.

1. Polling is a science, is it exact no, do all the polls point in the same direction, yes.

2. No is no. Look at my Bernie Sanders analogy for support.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I worry that all we are doing is trading the insurance monopoly for a government monopoly. Unfortunately, the government controlled monopoly will be even worse than we have now.

More red tape
Quality of care will drop
Benifits will be handed out in exchange for votes
Benifits and resources WILL be allocated for political reasons....old people and white guys? Get ready to lose out!
Research and innovation will be curtailed

Basically, what I think will happen if we pass this bill is that Obama is gonna sublet health care to the insurance companies. The insurance companies are still going to get theirs. Not much is gonna change except for the fact that the government will have a say so in who gets care and how much.

Hannity and Rush better hope they don't have any health problems and need care while Obama and Pelosi remain in power!
People do not want the DMV running their health care.

People do not trust some bureaucrat in Washington deciding what medical services are good enough for us, but not too expensive that they may threaten his hopes for reelection.

You have no freaking clue which nameless faces will be running national health care in ten or twenty years. We have no clue who will be deciding what medical care we cannot get because we are 65 years old, or denying our parents treatment because they turned 80.

We will not know the philosophy or agendas of the people running national health care. What if they are pro-lifers who want to slow abortions, or they see the way to cut costs is to limit procedures for the elderly or very young, or they want to create profits for big pharma so they promote liberal useage of medicines?

What if national health care turns into the DMV, where their interest in providing quality and safe medical care only goes so far as their next break time, because no matter how irresponsibly they do their job, the gaggle of people will be there again tomorrow, because they are the only game in town, and where the hell else are those people going to go?

At least with the private sector, if they are doing a poor job the market puts them out of business, and doing an irresponsible job can get them in federal court.

We can fix what is broke and control costs without resorting a take over and DMV Care.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
People do not want the DMV running their health care.

People do not trust some bureaucrat in Washington deciding what medical services are good enough for us, but not too expensive that they may threaten his hopes for reelection.

You have no freaking clue which nameless faces will be running national health care in ten or twenty years. We have no clue who will be deciding what medical care we cannot get because we are 65 years old, or denying our parents treatment because they turned 80.

We will not know the philosophy or agendas of the people running national health care. What if they are pro-lifers who want to slow abortions, or they see the way to cut costs is to limit procedures for the elderly or very young, or they want to create profits for big pharma so they promote liberal useage of medicines?

What if national health care turns into the DMV, where their interest in providing quality and safe medical care only goes so far as their next break time, because no matter how irresponsibly they do their job, the gaggle of people will be there again tomorrow, because they are the only game in town, and where the hell else are those people going to go?

At least with the private sector, if they are doing a poor job the market puts them out of business, and doing an irresponsible job can get them in federal court.

We can fix what is broke and control costs without resorting a take over and DMV Care.

Under a single-payer system medical decisions are kept between the patient and their doctor or other health care provider. The government just pays the bills.

Quote:
Who will run the health care system?

There is a myth that with national health insurance the government will make the medical decisions. But in a publicly financed, universal health care system, medical decisions are left to the patient and doctor, as they should be. This is true even in the countries like the U.K. and Spain (or in U.S. systems like the VA) that have socialized medicine.
In a public system, the public has a say in how it’s run. Cost containment measures are publicly managed at the state level by elected and appointed agencies that represent the public. This agency decides on the benefit package and negotiates doctor fees and hospital budgets. It also is responsible for health planning and the distribution of expensive technology. Thus, the total budget for health care is set through a public, democratic process. But clinical decisions remain a private matter between doctor and patient.
[Emphasis Mine]
Source:
Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program

Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
I did not provide an exhaustive list of reasons hence the use of "etc.". I have said all along the Republicans represent the people who do not want this thing, anyone who cares to can read each post and see I say the same thing again and again.

1. Polling is a science, is it exact no, do all the polls point in the same direction, yes.

2. No is no. Look at my Bernie Sanders analogy for support.
You said Republicans speak for the MAJORITY. It makes the Repubians job pretty easy, because all they have to do is check the polls in the morning and just go with that. No principles, no party line, no discussion, just polls.

I'm glad we got that figured out.

But I am still confused about something: earlier the polls indicated that majority of people supported the bill, but Republicans still opposed it. How can that be true? And if the polls take another swing, then will the Republicans do a 180 and support it?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You really like polls, don't you?

Anyone can prove anything with a poll. Polls are a scientific survey.

I'm pretty sure that if you did a City Data poll on this forum you'd probably win here, too.

That certainly explains the election for me....
I was in denial in 2008 too I kept believing it was wrong and McCain would win. When there are a mixed bag of polls you may argue it is inconclusive but when they are all going one way you simply can't deny the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies