Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times

Advertisements

If the Conservatives would stop and think for themselves for a minnute...things might be different , and the Dem's would not have to be so desperate....No instead the Reps. just go along with what their leaders said to do ...say no , to anything. This Country must be an embarrassment to the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is a little more complicated than you may think.

"Still, some health economists question whether breaking up big insurance companies with federal antitrust laws will help consumers.

"What you may find is that it's the opposite — that you break them up and they can't bargain down prices and, therefore, while they're competing at the margin, they're all competing at a higher level of premium than you had before," says Austin Frakt of Boston University's School of Public Health. "That's certainly possible.""

Democrats Push To End Insurers' Antitrust Exemption : NPR
The point is that any and all operating costs will not be realized by the consumer. The cost savings will only be reflected in the insurance companies bottom line. Some people who are not in business don't know the word "cost" is not always interpreted as the retail price.

What is the point of insurance reform if business and consumers continue to get gauged by these SOB's

Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,031 times
Quote:
"What you may find is that it's the opposite — that you break them up and they can't bargain down prices
Price discrimination in health care ought to be made illegal. When insurance companies, Medicaid and Medicare "bargain down" prices, costs are basically being shifted to the little guy, who ends up paying more, despite being the least able to afford it. Weirdly enough, the little guy who pays cash is the least expensive customer for medical providers to service, because his treatment does not - unlike Medicaid, Medicare and insurance companies - require the processing of huge amounts of claims-related red tape.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
If the Conservatives would stop and think for themselves for a minnute...things might be different , and the Dem's would not have to be so desperate....No instead the Reps. just go along with what their leaders said to do ...say no , to anything. This Country must be an embarrassment to the rest of the world.
Ah yes I see the Democrats, all 60 in the caucus, voted for this thing. Great example of thinking for yourself!

Other countries must be laughing at them!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Price discrimination in health care ought to be made illegal. When insurance companies, Medicaid and Medicare "bargain down" prices, costs are basically being shifted to the little guy, who ends up paying more, despite being the least able to afford it.
I agree the government should pay market rate instead of dictating reimbursement. It causes private pay patients to have to pick up the shortfall to keep the system going.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The point is that any and all operating costs will not be realized by the consumer. The cost savings will only be reflected in the insurance companies bottom line. Some people who are not in business don't know the word "cost" is not always interpreted as the retail price.

What is the point of insurance reform if business and consumers continue to get gauged by these SOB's
No true, even organizations that are exempt from anti trust laws still compete with each other. Aetna wants to beat the heck out of Wellpoint. The problem is each state regulatory system prevents true competition in each state. Many states only have 2 insurance companies competing. If every insurance company was allowed to sell insurance in every state prices would come down.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Price discrimination in health care ought to be made illegal. When insurance companies, Medicaid and Medicare "bargain down" prices, costs are basically being shifted to the little guy, who ends up paying more, despite being the least able to afford it.
Can you imagine how expensive insurance premiums would be without Medicare Medicare is the dumping ground for the elderly and sick.
Private insurance companies need Medicare to be profitable at the current rates.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM

18 posts, read 17,928 times
Leave well enough alone, I think. There could be some medicaid expansions for the very needy. Otherwise, I'm not sure what they think they will get out of this. I think there will be plenty of loopholes for the insurance companies, but that's informed speculation.

On a positive note, the insurance companies' stocks went up! Smart money should have seen that coming (don't feel bad, though, if you didn't).

Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No true, even organizations that are exempt from anti trust laws still compete with each other. Aetna wants to beat the heck out of Wellpoint. The problem is each state regulatory system prevents true competition in each state. Many states only have 2 insurance companies competing. If every insurance company was allowed to sell insurance in every state prices would come down.
I disagree. They are exempt from the laws and legally price fix. There will be no savings to the consumer.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM

817 posts, read 853,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I lean mostly to the left liberal side, but I am not so sure of the current bill that is going through the Senate. It looks like everyone was paid off to get what they want for their own state just to pass it. There is no doubt we need to reform the current system, so what would be your plan? I am currently one of the people who work full time, but my employer offers no insurance, and I cannot afford private insurance. Still, I feel this bill is flawed, so I thought I would ask the other side for their viewpoint.
Get a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies