Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,961,764 times

Advertisements

Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,781,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
With all due respect... and, I do realize that you weren't talking to me...

But, ... if there are more Republicans than Democrats in America, how is it that we elected a Democratic president ???

I happen to live in one of the few states where McCain was the winner.

I was referring to this.

Polls: Majority Disapprove of Health Care Legislation - Prescriptions Blog - NYTimes.com

"Despite the increasing confidence of Senate Democrats that they will pass health care legislation later this week, the American people are still unhappy with Congressional attempts at an overhaul, according to two new polls.

A Quinnipiac University Polling Institute poll released Tuesday found 53 percent of the public disapproving of the effort and 36 percent supporting it. The poll was taken last week, just as Senate Democrats were securing the necessary votes for passage."

On this particular issue the Republicans represent the American peoples view.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,058,904 times
I don't put a lot of faith in polls.

However, from your article, according to the Polls it appears that more people are coming around.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You somehow think the Republicans do not represent the majority of Americans even after being shown evidence they do. If you are calling Republicans cry babies you are calling Americans cry babies since the Republicans reflect the will of the people.
Keep twisting and lying about what I said. Dishonest people suck.

You conveniently leave out the reason why many people oppose the bill. Many oppose it BECAUSE IT DOES NOT GO FAR ENOUGH, because they want the public option. That is the opposite of what you are trying to say. Or are you saying Republicans speak for those people too? You can't say that 47% of Americans oppose the bill and Republicans speak for them, if a large percentage of those who oppose it do so because they want more added to the bill

Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I don't put a lot of faith in polls.

However, from your article, according to the Polls it appears that more people are coming around.
Well that is being very generous only 56% in the CNN poll we against it down from 61% the month before. 56% is even higher than Quinnipiac disapproval rate. Not a lot to be optimistic about if you are a congress person voting for this thing.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,939,234 times
I worry that all we are doing is trading the insurance monopoly for a government monopoly. Unfortunately, the government controlled monopoly will be even worse than we have now.

More red tape
Quality of care will drop
Benifits will be handed out in exchange for votes
Benifits and resources WILL be allocated for political reasons....old people and white guys? Get ready to lose out!
Research and innovation will be curtailed

Basically, what I think will happen if we pass this bill is that Obama is gonna sublet health care to the insurance companies. The insurance companies are still going to get theirs. Not much is gonna change except for the fact that the government will have a say so in who gets care and how much.

Hannity and Rush better hope they don't have any health problems and need care while Obama and Pelosi remain in power!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM

968 posts, read 2,064,814 times
"I suppose I can understand the callous, selfish disregard of the conservatives. It is their pride in it that passes me by."

Old 12-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Keep twisting and lying about what I said. Dishonest people suck.

You conveniently leave out the reason why many people oppose the bill. Many oppose it BECAUSE IT DOES NOT GO FAR ENOUGH, because they want the public option. That is the opposite of what you are trying to say. Or are you saying Republicans speak for those people too? You can't say that 47% of Americans oppose the bill and Republicans speak for them, if a large percentage of those who oppose it do so because they want more added to the bill
As you say you can't determine what percentage disagree for what reasons but no is no. People on either side of the issue who are against it are grateful for a no vote. Therefore Republicans represent their opinion on this thing which is NO! Let me help you out here, if Bernie Sanders voted no on this thing I would be happy about that. His reasons for not wanting it would be polar opposite from mine but I would be grateful nonetheless.

No twisting simply facts, as a famous movie character said "you can't handle the truth!"

Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,058,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
"I suppose I can understand the callous, selfish disregard of the conservatives. It is their pride in it that passes me by."
No wonder they believe they are the majority.

If anyone dares to disagree with them, they yell, scream, curse at and belittle you until you shut up and go away.

Just remember that these are the some of the same people that will be standing next to you in church next Sunday....

apparently this is the way they demonstrate their faith.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,690,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post

START eating more beans and weenies, eat rice, potatoes, and cheaper stuff, hamburger is bad for you, as is any red meat, in which case eat tuna or canned fish
I ate alot of this kind of food when I was in college as I couldn't afford anything else. Of course I could have just dropped out of school and got a full time job. Instead though, I understood the concept of sacrificing for the long run, and preparing myself to earn more through that sacrifice. Instead though, people want to have their cake and eat it too. Sacrifice, get insurance, get healthy, better yourself. Stop whinning.

Quote:
Buy a clunker, those car payments simply have to go.
Absolutly. I drove a car that was 12 years old AFTER I graduated college and got a job. I didn't want a car payment and wanted to save money to buy a house which has a much better return in investment than a depreciating car. Anybody that can't afford healthcare should buy a car with cash that gets them from point A to point B.

Quote:
Live like a hermit in a tent in a city park, your apartment rent or house payments have to go.
In a tent? No, not really. If anybody though buys a house and takes on a mortgage and doesn't even have health insurance, they are completely bass akwards. Rent an apartment and save.

Quote:
See, problems solved.
Absolutley. Nobody is ENTITLED to anything. Figure out, at a minimum, how to provide for yourself. Stop looking at everybody else in the community to provide for you.

Quote:
One more thing, don't get sick....
Drive a clunker, eat cheap healthy food, rent an apartment.... and you can afford to buy health insurance. Your issue is, you don't WANT to buy health insurance because you would rather have a new car, eat at nice restaurants, and buy a big house. Then, you get sick, and look at me and scream "its not fair" like a child and expect everybody else to pay for your health.

Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies