Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:54 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Statement from President Obama:

"With its ruling today, the Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics. It is a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies and the other powerful interests that marshal their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans. This ruling gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington--while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates."

Think Progress » GOP Is Overjoyed At The Unprecedented Influence Corporations Will Now Have In Federal Campaigns
I like this quote you posted:

0bama: "With its ruling today, the Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics.

This quote comes from a man who decided to forgo public campaign financing. Candidate 0bama opted out of the public campaign system once he figured out that he could raise more bundled campaign cash then McCain, and then obama went on to raise more money then any presidential candidate in history.

Unless I have been reading the wrong news articles, this ruling only allows for campaign advertisements not campaign contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Public Agrees With Court: Campaign Money Is "Free Speech"

Quote:
Fifty-seven percent of Americans consider campaign donations to be a protected form of free speech, and 55% say corporate and union donations should be treated the same way under the law as donations from individuals are.
Seems a majority agree that donations are a form of free speech.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I said anyone with half a brain can see the problems. If you don't see them, then you have LESS than half. I am independent, and as you can see most conservatives don't like this ruling either.
What we need is a well written law, or an amendment to the US Constitution, that does not infringe on freedom of speech.

What we had was an unconstitutional law where politicians were deciding which groups or associations of Americans should be allowed freedom of political speech and which ones could not.

Deputy Solicitor General Malcolm Stewart told the court that the government could ban a book if it endorsed one of the candidates.

Roberts: "It's a 500-page book, and at the end it says, 'And so vote for X,' the government could ban that?"

The law was a bad law, and deserved to be struck down, we need good laws not just any law.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Anyone opposed to this ruling of the Supreme Court can sign an online petition here.

Save Democracy

PETITION TEXT

Quote:
I support the "Save Our Democracy" Platform:

We cannot have a government that is bought and paid for by huge multinational corporations. We need a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
We cannot have a government that is bought and paid for by huge multinational corporations. We need a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

I just have to ask; When did you finally notice?

Do you dismiss the amount of evil corporate money that flooded into the campaign last year?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Do you dismiss the amount of evil corporate money that flooded into the campaign last year?
I agree it is evil.

Everyone find the online petition to speak out against this ruling of the Supreme Court on post #284.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Anyone opposed to this ruling of the Supreme Court can sign an online petition here.

Save Democracy

PETITION TEXT

I support the "Save Our Democracy" Platform:

Useless endeavor, if you think you can petition the courts to reverse a decision.

If the law was a bad law, and violated Constitutional rights, it needs to be struck down, regardless of the consequences that may result. The court can only look to whether the law is constitutional or not, that is all there is too it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Until it hits the MSM and appears on their favorite URL then it's nothing but tin foil and conspiracy.

NOW it's a problem. Obama is fighting against the very thing he practiced ?
He wants lobbyists out...does he plan to fire his advisors ? What about that Monsanto guy in the FDA..does he go ?

He talks the talk but that's where it ends folks. His actions do not reflect his words.

This decision is not as major as some may think because it's been going on for years under the radar, in back rooms, by third party associations.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Useless endeavor, if you think you can petition the courts to reverse a decision.

If the law was a bad law, and violated Constitutional rights, it needs to be struck down, regardless of the consequences that may result. The court can only look to whether the law is constitutional or not, that is all there is too it.
It is called free speech! Practice your right. Online petition at post #284.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I agree it is evil.

Everyone find the online petition to speak out against this ruling of the Supreme Court on post #284.
Where was this petition and advocacy for corporate money in politics 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies