Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The left is just as happy about this as the right. It's everyone else who is unhappy. The middle of the road regular voting Americans are not happy.
Why would anyone be unhappy with the constitution being upheld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Yeah people will see the light when 3rd parties and guys like Ron Paul and Kucinich are bought ads by Exxon Mo-ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

ah man I couldn't even finish it.
LOL..Exxon buy an add for Ron Paul who would proceed to put them out of business ? I think not. Ron Paul's history speaks for itself.

No..I think you'll see increased ads for folks like Reid, Pelosi, etc. folks who are already in their pocket and can further their corporate agendas.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:02 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..Exxon buy an add for Ron Paul who would proceed to put them out of business ? I think not. Ron Paul's history speaks for itself.

No..I think you'll see increased ads for folks like Reid, Pelosi, etc. folks who are already in their pocket and can further their corporate agendas.
The decision just cements everything further for the powerful, any opportunity of third party having an effect (like forcing candidates to move right or left) is essentially dead.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
The decision just cements everything further for the powerful, any opportunity of third party having an effect (like forcing candidates to move right or left) is essentially dead.
Like they had a chance before ? How far did Ron Paul get during 2008 in his run for Presidency ?

No, this ruling matters very little. It just allows corporations to do in public what they have been doing under the table and behind closed doors for years.

This is the transparency folks may not have wanted but this is what they get.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like they had a chance before ? How far did Ron Paul get during 2008 in his run for Presidency ?

No, this ruling matters very little. It just allows corporations to do in public what they have been doing under the table and behind closed doors for years.

This is the transparency folks may not have wanted but this is what they get.
I would disagree with that. Third parties are not about winning major elections, they're about forcing the other party to move in a certain direction.

Given Ron Paul's lack of media spectacle he accomplished most of what he intended. The Tea Party movement probably wouldn't have existed had it not been for him talking about how Republicans had lost their way, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Keith Olbermann with another brilliant commentary ... this one on yesterdays Supreme Court decision.
Sorry if this has already been posted ... i didn't look at the entire thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTJ--JWJqM

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
It is an unknown at this stage:

The Center for Public Integrity | Latest from the Center - Will the Citizens United Ruling Let Hugo Chavez and King Abdullah Buy U.S. Elections?

I mean if the corporation lives here and generates profit here, why can't they contribute to their elected candidates?

A Corporation has no biological life or brain, therefore it cannot "live" anywhere.

Lacking a brain, the U.S. Patent Office continues to refuse to issue patents to Corporations - but I guess this SC decision may change that.

A is no longer A.

A cat can become a dog with the appropriate species-change operation and adequate counseling. Or, hell, just pass a law!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I would disagree with that. Third parties are not about winning major elections, they're about forcing the other party to move in a certain direction.

Given Ron Paul's lack of media spectacle he accomplished most of what he intended. The Tea Party movement probably wouldn't have existed had it not been for him talking about how Republicans had lost their way, etc.
I don't vote Independent to see either a Repub or Dem change their ways.
I vote Independent because I want that Independent to make it themselves.
I want to see a new party take hold.

Not all Independents are about BAU and just swapping sides when they feel like it.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
A Corporation has no biological life or brain, therefore it cannot "live" anywhere.

Lacking a brain, the U.S. Patent Office continues to refuse to issue patents to Corporations - but I guess this SC decision may change that.

A is no longer A.

A cat can become a dog with the appropriate species-change operation and adequate counseling. Or, hell, just pass a law!
Correct. A patent is issued to a person or people who have already signed away their rights to it to their employer (the corporation) before it's even typed up for submission.

Big corporations have you sign all your IP rights over to them the day you start employment.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Just wondering how a Corporation would arrive at a voting booth and vote.

I guess Diebold can easily solve THAT problem.

"The concept of identity is important because it makes explicit that reality has a definite nature. Since reality has an identity, it is knowable. Since it exists in a particular way, it has no contradictions."

A is A: Law of Identity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies