Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM

467 posts, read 665,226 times

Advertisements

Oh, absolutely.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:42 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And it seems that right wingers do NOT believe they have any social responsibility to others nor their community. It is NOT progressive to let your neighbors and community members starve and be homeless.
Both Conservatives and Liberals care for the poor and homeless. The main difference being that Liberals expect the government to take care of the problem while Conservatives think the Government system generates dependency and enables wasteful fraud. Conservatives want to eliminate the abuse that's rampant in government-run entitlement programs, which is often regurgitated by Liberals as "Conservatives want the poor to starve".

The biggest charities, shelters, and food banks in my city are operated by the church (who are overwhelmingly Conservative). In addition, Conservatives are more likely to volunteer and donate blood than Liberals, further disproving the 'heartless Conservative' stereotype.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Both Conservatives and Liberals care for the poor and homeless.
I disagree completely. Right wingers pay lip service to giving "charity" to the poor in an attempt to not seem like completely nefarious, but in essence, just by reading their posts, you can tell what they think of the poor and homeless. They despise them. They have nothing good to say about them. They view them as scum. So no, your comment doesn't fly.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Both Conservatives and Liberals care for the poor and homeless. The main difference being that Liberals expect the government to take care of the problem while Conservatives think the Government system generates dependency and enables wasteful fraud. Conservatives want to eliminate the abuse that's rampant in government-run entitlement programs, which is often regurgitated by Liberals as "Conservatives want the poor to starve".

The biggest charities, shelters, and food banks in my city are operated by the church (who are overwhelmingly Conservative). In addition, Conservatives are more likely to volunteer and donate blood than Liberals, further disproving the 'heartless Conservative' stereotype.
They have been told what you said over and over again but they refuse to hear it. They would rather put a spin on it to say conservatives don't care.

If one is falsely accused over and over again eventually you have to give them what they insist upon and say, ok, if you insist, I won't care anymore.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Oh, please. You attack ALL LIBERALS in a very generic and generalized manner (to use your own words), then you compare all liberals to conservatives and say we come up short because of your experience with a few individual liberals, and then expect everyone to "see" your objectivity???
I do not think it is overgeneralized if it is a characteristic. It's like saying conservatives want lower taxes. Sure, there may be some individual people who identify themselves as conservatives who don't want lower taxes. However, as a general rule conservatives do want lower taxes. This is a similar situation. Not all liberals are intolerant but as a general rule they are. The fact that it is a negative characteristic is of course going to make people get defensive, but nevertheless it is true. I haven't noticed this tendency coming from you personally, but there is a tendency on the left to attack the person making an argument rather than refuting the argument. It is done on the right as well, but not with as great an incidence.
Quote:
Btw, is this the first time you've ever noticed that human behavior is contradictory and "amazing"? Certainly you have not reached your point in life without ever previously noticing that fact.

You can say you're a liberal as much as you like to try to give more credibility to your thread; however, I find it very interesting that you insult and inflame ALL LIBERALS with your thread title and expect that liberals will not defend themselves. IMO, liberals defending themselves was the motivation for your thread title choice "Despicable Liberals"
There are a plethora of "all conservatives are evil" posts that liberals do not attack. Now there's no responsibility for anyone to respond to every message of a given type, but it does tend to make one lose credibility. If one is a liberal and only attacks conservatives for saying something while letting multiple liberals who say the same things slide, it makes the times you do complain about conservatives doing it look like merely a partisan attack and not one based in genuine principle. And I don't exempt myself from this - I freely admit I'm guilty of it too. There have been times I've read posts by other conservatives and thought "well that's not really a fair thing to say" but I just move on to the next post instead of responding.

Also, this person is not the only one who has noticed this. See Erin Pizzey, David Mamet, David Horowitz, Michael Medved. They are all famous people who were accepted and/or lionized by the left at one time and then pilloried when they voiced conservative ideas. Pizzey opened the first abused women's shelter, noticed that over half the women at her shelter related that the men in the house were also being abused - ie it wasn't just "he hit me" it was "we hit each other" - and went to open one for men as well. In response she received no funding and was given multiple death threats. By left wing people. They didn't dispute that men were being assaulted, they just attacked her for trying to do something about it. There are videos on youtube of interviews with her where she relates the story.

On the other hand, I am a conservative who holds a number of individual liberal ideas, and have not been attacked by other conservatives for those ideas. There is most definitely an orthodoxy on the left that is far less prevalent on the right. There's a reason why political correctness is not on the right.
Quote:
From reading other threads, it seems to me that you got angry with ONE poster, and in retaliation started this thread. In that thread you did your share of personal attacks and insults.
This thread was started in 2010 by someone else. The person you responded to may have started an anti-liberal thread but it wasn't this thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,949,135 times
Fuselage,

It is what it is. (And has been for many many years)

If you are looking for a take-away, do as I do and use the attacks as a handy political gauge:

On minor issues, accept the knee-jerk third-grade level attacks as evidence your attackers have not bothered to examine the issue and they really don't want you to think about them either. State your case and move on.

When the attacks reach "Joe the Plumber" levels, you have found the oppositions weakness. Hone in and hammer away.

Anyway, good luck - the only thing the Left hates more than a Conservative is an apostate.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Liberals are very intolerant people

Which means ... that right-wing extremists and racists are tolerant?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I disagree completely. Right wingers pay lip service to giving "charity" to the poor in an attempt to not seem like completely nefarious, but in essence, just by reading their posts, you can tell what they think of the poor and homeless. They despise them. They have nothing good to say about them. They view them as scum. So no, your comment doesn't fly.
Liberals lie constantly, with reckless abandon, as in this post

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They have been told what you said over and over again but they refuse to hear it. They would rather put a spin on it to say conservatives don't care.

If one is falsely accused over and over again eventually you have to give them what they insist upon and say, ok, if you insist, I won't care anymore.
y

So tell me directly that you believe that you do have a social responsibility to your neighbors and community, that you have a responsibility to help take care of those who cannot care for themselves. Tell us that you are okay with your tax money being spent to help the needy.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I do not think it is overgeneralized if it is a characteristic. It's like saying conservatives want lower taxes. Sure, there may be some individual people who identify themselves as conservatives who don't want lower taxes. However, as a general rule conservatives do want lower taxes. This is a similar situation. Not all liberals are intolerant but as a general rule they are. The fact that it is a negative characteristic is of course going to make people get defensive, but nevertheless it is true. I haven't noticed this tendency coming from you personally, but there is a tendency on the left to attack the person making an argument rather than refuting the argument. It is done on the right as well, but not with as great an incidence.
There are a plethora of "all conservatives are evil" posts that liberals do not attack. Now there's no responsibility for anyone to respond to every message of a given type, but it does tend to make one lose credibility. If one is a liberal and only attacks conservatives for saying something while letting multiple liberals who say the same things slide, it makes the times you do complain about conservatives doing it look like merely a partisan attack and not one based in genuine principle. And I don't exempt myself from this - I freely admit I'm guilty of it too. There have been times I've read posts by other conservatives and thought "well that's not really a fair thing to say" but I just move on to the next post instead of responding.

Also, this person is not the only one who has noticed this. See Erin Pizzey, David Mamet, David Horowitz, Michael Medved. They are all famous people who were accepted and/or lionized by the left at one time and then pilloried when they voiced conservative ideas. Pizzey opened the first abused women's shelter, noticed that over half the women at her shelter related that the men in the house were also being abused - ie it wasn't just "he hit me" it was "we hit each other" - and went to open one for men as well. In response she received no funding and was given multiple death threats. By left wing people. They didn't dispute that men were being assaulted, they just attacked her for trying to do something about it. There are videos on youtube of interviews with her where she relates the story.

On the other hand, I am a conservative who holds a number of individual liberal ideas, and have not been attacked by other conservatives for those ideas. There is most definitely an orthodoxy on the left that is far less prevalent on the right. There's a reason why political correctness is not on the right.
This thread was started in 2010 by someone else. The person you responded to may have started an anti-liberal thread but it wasn't this thread.
First, "Despicable Liberals" is NOT a "characteristic" of All Liberals.

Apparently you missed the thread to which I was responding entitled "Despicable Liberals." It was very recently merged into the "intolerant liberasl" thread, and I don't think that was appropriate. "Intolerant liberals" do not equal "Despicable Liberals." The original poster of "Despicable Liberals" got a break when the threads were merged.

My posts have ALL been in response to the "Despicable Liberals" thread and I have not even read the "intolerant liberals" thread into which it was merged. "Despicable Liberals" thread addresses people posting on CD ONLY. Therefore, the people you listed are really have nothing to do with what Fuselage was posting about. He/she was offended by "some" liberal posters here on cd; it was not a national rant. I do find the thread title, "Despicable Liberals," very inflammatory and insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies