Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
This one is to juicy...I'm staying away from it...

But I will say this...what I am seeing is typical human behavior here...

Some responding have a casual 'ho-hum' yawn attitude about it...cause it does not effect them...therefore the incident is miniscule in their minds...

But all it would take is for someone to blair something over the PA system, that effects you or me personally...and our attitudes would be different...

Everyone has an issue or a 'hot button'...and just because it doesn't hit our hot botton, doesn't mean it's invalid.

I guess some could look at the Tea party movement as being 'cry babies', making a fuss over nothing...yawn....

My point is, don't always look at issues from the perspective of 'well because I'm not black, it's not a big deal'....or 'because I'm not white, so what' or because ;I don't care about abortion issues...ho hum...'

We, the general public, don't know what the state of peoples minds are...and such an announcement could have incited a riot or violence...we don't know what kind of wounds such an announcement could stir up inside someone...fear, humiliation, panic...

Have you ever been humiliated in public?...was it of no big deal to you, just cause someone else said so?

Humiliation, in turn, can make people do wierd odd things...just read the head lines...people seek revenge and plot over things like this for years...if they feel they've been humiliated...

All I'm saying is people are volatile...expecially during times like these....
I just wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the effects something like this could have on someone...

Humiliating other people, is nothing to play with...

(What if inside this store, was a returned Iraqi war vet...he just found out his girlfriend left him, he just lost his home, his mother died while overseas, and they can't find a job...there not in a good state of mind...plus their dealing with Post vet syndrome (flashbacks)....now suddenly they hear that announcement...'all blacks clear the store'....
What might there reaction be, given their state of mind?)

Scenerio 2
There's some mentaly impaired (on medication) sledge hammer supremicst in the store...and in their mind the 'revolution can come at any moment'...and they hear that announcement and take it as a sign to whole sale slaughter and kill people'

My point being...again that humans are volatile, and we don't know how people are going to act or react to anything...

By them blurting out such a comment...they placed many innocent people in danger...they recklessly endangered all in the store...
I know I would not want to be inside that store had such an announcement been made...

Your a science fiction writer ,correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM

228 posts, read 507,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I'm sure they have been fired if it was an employee but, it could have been a shopper who got ahold of the microphone for the store's PA system some how too. I don't see how it's a crime though....what would the charges be in terms of a hate crime? I can see how they might be able to charge them for using the stores PA system to make an unauthorized announcement and then if found guilty, give them the maximum penalty for it. Maybe the store will be able to press charges.
No, WalMart's system is set up so customers *can* request assistance over the PA system. Like I said I don't see any crime here. It's not like someone who was able to hack into an auto dealership computer and cause the alarms to go off.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
It was a 16 year old boy playing a prank and they found him.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:02 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,463 times
16 yo kid acting stupid. Bet he learned his lesson now. Just shows you that his parents must be darlings.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
No, WalMart's system is set up so customers *can* request assistance over the PA system. Like I said I don't see any crime here. It's not like someone who was able to hack into an auto dealership computer and cause the alarms to go off.
He faces harassment and bias intimidation charges...sounds like a crime to me.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
All "hate" crime legislation should be repealed. WHY someone committed an illegal act should be irrelevant. It should be the action of breaking that law that gets punished, not what the person was thinking or saying at the time.
This runs contrary to the entire modern American justice system. Motive is perhaps THE central qualifier for determining punishment. Manslaughter and premeditated murder are not treated the same way for a reason.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
He faces harassment and bias intimidation charges...sounds like a crime to me.
They'll probably diagnose him with some disorder and he'll get lesser charges. In all seriousness, he truely is disordered, who does this? He's 16 isn't an excuse

Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by swagger
All "hate" crime legislation should be repealed. WHY someone committed an illegal act should be irrelevant. It should be the action of breaking that law that gets punished, not what the person was thinking or saying at the time.

************************************************** *********************************************

So we should not count malice either according to you? Motive, let's get rid of that too.
WOW!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
They'll probably diagnose him with some disorder and he'll get lesser charges. In all seriousness, he truely is disordered, who does this? He's 16 isn't an excuse
Mostly likely some community service. I hope they send him to the hood, local projects, and help clean up the neighborhood. Maybe he'll think twice next time.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Oh yeah, put him in the hood for a while where everyone knows what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies