Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Don't forget about "Juducial Bypass", where a minor can apply to bypass the age of consent laws for abortion. Here is a concise list by state of age of consent for abortion:

Teen Abortion Laws in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I would be mad too. Abortion aside, a parent should be notified if their child is being taken to the hospital (signed form or not). As disappointed as I would be with the school, I would also be disappointed with my relationship with my child - where she did not feel like she could tell me the truth.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your spinning your wheels.

As a minor (under age of 18), he/she is not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent .

health care (of any type), but especially a SURGERY)) is most definatly a BINDING contract

btw
A contract is simply a legally binding agreement between parties to do or not do something.

I'm not spinning my wheels. Minors can enter into contracts. They are also allowed to break most contracts. If Verizon so chose, they could sign contracts with 15-17 year-olds. However, at any time the minor could unilaterally void the contract.

There are contracts minors are not allowed to void. It's different in each state. A universal one is contracts for necessities. Any time anyone buys something, it's a contract. A 12 year old is allowed to go to the grocery store and enter into a contract to buy an apple. He's bound to that contract. He can't take it back 3 months later and say "I'm a minor, I'm voiding this purchase. Take the apple back and give me my money back."

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
yeah, the young woman did take responsibility for the situation. That sounds very adult to me. Adult is a state of mind not of age.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
We are all making assumptions based on the little bit of information provided in the OP's link, where, you will recall, the only side of the story published is the mother's.
As has been pointed out, this woman chose to publicize a personal event and made no effort to provide any context other than her 'outrage.'

So, why didn't her daughter go to her?

The poster I quoted has as much right to speculate about the reasons as any one of us, and, sadly, there are enough documented cases of children and young people suffering horrible consequences for their truthfulness that the poster's supposition is a perfectly reasonable one.
This young woman was faced with a decision, and after weighing all possible outcomes, chose the path that was right for her. Sounds very responsible to me.
That poster used speculation of my responses to support her assumptions about why the daughter did it. Usually one does not summarize a position when they can freely validate it. She did, why is that? To serve her position. Sorry, there is nothing honest or reasonable about that.

As for the story, you are correct. We do not know the details and we have only heard one side of the story, and really not much of one at that. So all of this is purely speculation, that I can agree with.

Well, as you are speculating in her "weighting all the possible outcomes" so do I. She weighted them and took the path of least resistance. There is nothing responsible about taking the easy road. Making a decision is not what makes us responsible, rather it is how we deal with the consequences of our actions. While you may disagree, failing to inform your parent and getting an abortion is not responsible, it is simply the easiest path to take considering all of the alternatives. Nothing is responsible about that.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
yeah, the young woman did take responsibility for the situation. That sounds very adult to me. Adult is a state of mind not of age.
So what age do you thinka gilr should be in order tio inform the parents?
12? 13? 10?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick
I guess people didn't read this on the first page. The law governing age of consent for contraception and abortion is state specific. They did not, according to the law in Washington State, need the mother's consent.
I'm legally blind and use a screen reader to access the Internet. Screen readers don't read PDF files so I have no idea what's contained therein. My comments were based on those already stated in this thread prior to my post.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your spinning your wheels.

As a minor (under age of 18), he/she is not old enough to enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent .

health care (of any type), but especially a SURGERY)) is most definatly a BINDING contract

btw
A contract is simply a legally binding agreement between parties to do or not do something.
As for heathcare, you're incorrect as well. Different states regulate minors and their healthcare rights differently.

Here's a relevant example: The state of Washington allows minors to enter into a medical contract to have an abortion. Neither parental consent or parental notification is a requirement.

I have a friend who works in the Denver Health free STD clinic. Teenages are allowed to use the clinic for an HIV test, chlamydia treatment, etc, etc, etc without parental consent or notification. State law allows it.

http://www.denverstdclinic.org/OurSe...eenClinic.aspx

Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
The school was wrong, IMO. If something happened to that girl during the abortion, the school would be held liable for the loss of her life.
So if she were forced by the mother to carry out the pregnancy and the 15 year old died in labor, who would be held liable? The mother for forcing her daughter to carry out the pregnancy?

You do realize the likelihood of her dying by carrying out the pregnancy is 10 times that of her dying during an abortion - right?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ok, let us use that logic for a moment.

Out joy riding recklessly, you cause another car to swerve and hit something off the road, you do not have a license and it appears someone is injured.

Nobody is around, so you can not be identfied. You have a decision to make.

Do you:

A) see to the person that is injured and call the police.

This will result in you being responsible for driving without a license as well causing the accident. There will be penalties to which will you will have to deal with for years to come.

B) Speed off and act like nothing happened telling nobody of the incident.

You pick B.

By your logic, you made a decision, you are a responsible person, congratulations!

But in reality, you escaped your responsibilities and sought the path of least consequence to yourself. You would not be responsible, in fact what you did was irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies