Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

412 posts, read 405,020 times

Advertisements

Since the mother likely would have forced the daughter to go through with the pregnancy, it's understandable that she didn't want to go to inform her. It's tempting to say that the school shouldn't have gotten involved, but if it hadn't she would likely have ended up having an unsafe abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think any mother who truly loves her daughter could say this and mean it. The anger is appropriate, but part of that anger is because a mother feels so responsible for the safety and well-being of her child. The anger comes from fear, fear that the child could have been hurt or could have possibly died, and betrayal that when we send our children to school we expect them to keep our children safe and to return them to us each night in the same condition that they were when they left for school that morning. If that is true, then when something happens like this, you don't want to throw your child out the door, you want to hold them even closer. If this woman's anger is about her daughter, then this is how she feels. If this woman's anger is about a political issue, then that may explain why the bond between mother and daughter is so fragile that the daughter went around her mother.
Don't confuse love with responsibility. Punishment is not hate, one can be punished, and held to the consequences of their actions and yet still be loved. This in my opinion is part of the problem with society today. If you hold someone to their responsibilities, it is called being mean. If you punish someone, it is claimed because you hate them. A parent punishes their child because they want them to understand the consequences of their decisions, that through this lesson, they will be better prepared to make future decisions.

My mother was given this form of treatment for different reasons. My grandfather was hard on her, but he has always loved her. My mothers life was hard at first, she had a lot of responsibilities to take in, had to work extremely hard, several jobs at a time, etc...

Eventually my grandfather helped her in various ways, but she had to understand her responsibilities, she had to understand her irresponsible action and her disrespect to him. She doesn't think badly on it at all these days, she looks back and says it was hard, but it made her the self reliant woman she became.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Since when is a 15 year old capable and mature enough to make life decisions? How about we allow all 15 year olds the ability to carry a gun to school too, since some people think they are mature enough to know how to handle one.

Parents have a right to know, and agree to, any procedure being conducted on a minor they are gardians over. End of story.

So you are saying a 15 year old is ready to become a mother?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So you are saying a 15 year old is ready to become a mother?
My great grandmother had her first child at 15. Then again, those were different times and my grandfather was working the fields as early as he could walk and understand. We are too soft on our youth, we absolve them of too many responsibilities and it hurts them because of it.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
SEATTLE -- The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter's abortion during school hours.

Mother furious after in-school clinic sets up teen's abortion | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

This is just out of control it really is. Imagine if this was your child that happened to without your knowledge.
Further proof that you should ALWAYS read every last detail before signing anything.

Mom made a mistake and can't deal with the consequences, interesting, could that be where her dear daughter learned the behavior? From mom?
Gee, whiz, say it ain't so folks....

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Yet if this young girl wanted an aspirin, the school would call the parents first.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
We are too soft on our youth, we absolve them of too many responsibilities and it hurts them because of it.
Don't you think this girl did take responsibility for her actions?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Don't confuse love with responsibility. Punishment is not hate, one can be punished, and held to the consequences of their actions and yet still be loved. This in my opinion is part of the problem with society today. If you hold someone to their responsibilities, it is called being mean. If you punish someone, it is claimed because you hate them. A parent punishes their child because they want them to understand the consequences of their decisions, that through this lesson, they will be better prepared to make future decisions.

My mother was given this form of treatment for different reasons. My grandfather was hard on her, but he has always loved her. My mothers life was hard at first, she had a lot of responsibilities to take in, had to work extremely hard, several jobs at a time, etc...

Eventually my grandfather helped her in various ways, but she had to understand her responsibilities, she had to understand her irresponsible action and her disrespect to him. She doesn't think badly on it at all these days, she looks back and says it was hard, but it made her the self reliant woman she became.
I'm not confusing love with responsibility.

I'm saying that when you are angry and disappointed and hurt by your 15-year old daughter, you don't disown them, or send them out on the street to live as a show of love.

I'm saying that what happened to this mother would be devastating. And that if I were in that situation, out of the chaos of emotions that I would be experiencing, that I would be working through, the one anchor I would choose to hold onto would be love for my child. I would not discard that child, which is what "boot meet arse" would be tantamount to. I would hold on to that child, and think of what she's been through, and how difficult her situation must have been, how fearful she must have been, not to come to me. And I would forgive, and hold her close, and help her in any way I could. Because, for me, what's most important in this situation is the child that's living, the child I'm still responsible for, the child whom I've tried to guide and teach, and whose life I've celebrated year after year after year. That child has been through something traumatic. And while I would mourn my grandchild, a life that was never realized, the loss of that child would only make me recognize even more how precious the life is of the child I do have.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
SEATTLE -- The mother of a Ballard High School student is fuming after the health center on campus helped facilitate her daughter's abortion during school hours.

Mother furious after in-school clinic sets up teen's abortion | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

This is just out of control it really is. Imagine if this was your child that happened to without your knowledge.
The article doesnt say that the clinic set up her appointment, or told her to have an abortion or even knew she was going for one. It does say she got a pregnancy test there.

I dont know, this sounds wrong.

"Jill says her daughter, a pro-life advocate, was given a pass, put in a taxi and sent off to have an abortion during school hours all without her family knowing."

Hmm, how pro-life was this daughter really? Jill probably is.

Maybe a lot of this is Jill looking for someone to blame.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I don't think the mother should have any say in her daughters decision to have an abortion. Her religious views is not shared by daughter. It is too bad her daughter had to go behind her back but it is understandable. The mother seam clearly unstable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies