Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

I have really enjoyed being in this thread where the sniping was good natured and not so nasty as most. I have to go to my dog sitting chores along with some garden breaking up and then my daily janitorial job. I will look back in in several hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This post reminds me of my inheritance. My mother had high blood pressure nearly all her life and she died at 79 from her last heart attack. My father had no problems with his heart as all his doctors always told him it was the strongest one they knew of. He never had any problems with blood pressure but he did kill himself for smoking nearly 80 years. He died with emphysema at 97. Now I got my inheritance from those people and although I am built like my mother's brothers I am so much like my dad in most ways. It is that damned cholesterol that will eventually get me. Mine is a very enviable 95 right now but I have to use medication to keep it down there.

Of course, I fully expect to go from cancer of the esophagus since I have been borderline for nearly 10 years now. My brother had it and lasted only about 6 months after diagnosis. He had hearburn that two or three times a week like they talk about on TV and for at least 10 years I had it all the time every day if I even thought about eating food. Not fair but true.
Roy, I wish you the very best with regard to your diagnosis. I can't imagine what it must be like, knowing your brother shared the same condition.

I, too, got the gift that keeps on giving--hereditary hypercholesterolemia.

Wish they'd stopped with the hereditary gifts at the family osteoarthritis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have really enjoyed being in this thread where the sniping was good natured and not so nasty as most. I have to go to my dog sitting chores along with some garden breaking up and then my daily janitorial job. I will look back in in several hours.
I really enjoyed our discussion, Roy, and again I wish you all the best.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 04-20-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM

181 posts, read 322,872 times
I am a nurse. I can kind of see the point the OP is trying to make. The point is this: how is it fair that some people get approved for medical procedures when others don't. I have seen a 97 year old woman with dementia have a hip replacement. I have also seen a 22 year old young male without health insurance that was newly diagnosed with cancer get denied care. I have seen children in need of liquid nutrition be denied their food, but we will give a 102 year old total parenteral nutrition (tpn). It can be frustrating to watch the disparity. I am not saying that one person deserves care more than another. I am saying insurance companies and society seems to. Is it because our elderly vote more? I am trying to figure it out.

I think in this changing medical and health insurance reform that is to come, people are going to have to get VERY proactive to get their medical needs met. If refused care or equipment, people are going to have to fight and appeal. It is something that I don't look forward to.

Give the OP a break. As nurses, we are the ones who have to comfort the family denied care. It is heartbreaking to understand why their family member "isn't worthy" when someone else might be.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
I am a nurse. I can kind of see the point the OP is trying to make. The point is this: how is it fair that some people get approved for medical procedures when others don't. I have seen a 97 year old woman with dementia have a hip replacement. I have also seen a 22 year old young male without health insurance that was newly diagnosed with cancer get denied care. I have seen children in need of liquid nutrition be denied their food, but we will give a 102 year old total parenteral nutrition (tpn). It can be frustrating to watch the disparity. I am not saying that one person deserves care more than another. I am saying insurance companies and society seems to. Is it because our elderly vote more? I am trying to figure it out.

I think in this changing medical and health insurance reform that is to come, people are going to have to get VERY proactive to get their medical needs met. If refused care or equipment, people are going to have to fight and appeal. It is something that I don't look forward to.

Give the OP a break. As nurses, we are the ones who have to comfort the family denied care. It is heartbreaking to understand why their family member "isn't worthy" when someone else might be.
It's not hard to figure out really. The 20 year old is broke, the older folks paid into the system and are covered. One group is covered the other isn't. Some are even covered with private insurance and still are denied, why? It's private that's why, it's all about the money, nothing more nothing less. Medicare, not so much a problem because the moneys are doled out through taxes. Do you want to see people raise holy hell? Give the people a one payer system, allow one payer system to treat people just like private HMOs treat their clients. Since this would effect many people directly and immediately, the government phones would never ever stop ringing, and thats a fact.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
All the more reason for universal health care for ALL US citizens.
Doncha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
You're saying that this doesn't happen now?
If so, your post is disingenuous at best.

Do you get to judge who lives or dies?
If so, then you want to be part of a death panel.
The fact that you think you know who or what people deserve to live makes me question your motives.
Are you really qualified to decide who lives/dies?
How would you feel if others decided if you could live/die based on their perception of your value?

Yet, that's what insurance company clerks do now.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
AND

guess what?

All these YOUNG/dumb "why do we have to pay for the elderly?" people don't realize that unless they die young T H E Y will be an "elderly" someday and may just have a different opinion
You people don't realixe that having hip surgery on a 100 year old who more than likely won't walk anymore anyway is pointless and wastes money. They have paid their dues I'm sure,but at what point do we stop the needless surgeries on elderly? And please,no one here is advocating rolling them in the woods to die. Oh,and those children being denied wheelchairs parnets pay taxes too,so what about that fact?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You people don't realixe that having hip surgery on a 100 year old who more than likely won't walk anymore anyway is pointless and wastes money. They have paid their dues I'm sure,but at what point do we stop the needless surgeries on elderly? And please,no one here is advocating rolling them in the woods to die. Oh,and those children being denied wheelchairs parnets pay taxes too,so what about that fact?
Who are you to make that judgment?
Just kill them all when they get to a certain age.
Isn't that what you're calling for?
Stop feeding them; if they fall at home, let them stay on the floor until they rot.
Who needs them, anyway.
They have no value.

Exactly when do people lose their value?
I seriously want to know what you think, I've asked 3 times now.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Just because you pay taxes doesn't mean you are entitled to a wheelchair. There goes one fact.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
excuse me, my mother is almost 92 years old
so we should just let her suffer, after all what does she mean to you, she is just a burden.
here is an idea, why didn't Obama, when given the chance to really do something about waste, and still could, quit spending money where it goes down the sink hole
why doesn't congress, all of them from both parties, take some cuts of their own, starting with pay cuts, pork spending
why does the teachers union not take a pay freeze? how about the other big unions, good grief
Why let a child suffer?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Why let a child suffer?
What makes a child more precious than any other person.
Are not all people precious?
Why do you think you get to make that decision about another person's life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies