Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
meanwhile an elderly person who is 98 and on a ventilator ,and non responsive(brain dead) is getting her 5th. Hip surgery? Isn't that hip surgery unessesary at this point
My opinion is that you deserve today's "Master of Hyperbole" award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
When its children who suffer the most? As a healthcare professional, I was reading an interesting blog. As a peds nurse I see many children who can't this or that done because there is no funding or they get rejected by insurance companies,meanwhile an elderly person who is 98 and on a ventilator ,and non responsive(brain dead) is getting her 5th. Hip surgery? Isn't that hip surgery unessesary at this point,meanwhile a child of 5 who is alert and has muscular dystrophy gets denied a wheelchair (and medicaid insurance) when they have a better prognosis than the elderly client? Or an elderly client who gets social security on top of getting a 3000 dollar pension and free medicare but we deny medicaid to the child who has cancer because the parents make 2000 a month? Tell me your opinions please

excuse me, my mother is almost 92 years old
so we should just let her suffer, after all what does she mean to you, she is just a burden.
here is an idea, why didn't Obama, when given the chance to really do something about waste, and still could, quit spending money where it goes down the sink hole
why doesn't congress, all of them from both parties, take some cuts of their own, starting with pay cuts, pork spending
why does the teachers union not take a pay freeze? how about the other big unions, good grief

Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
It's something that's rather tricky to discuss. Especially because many of today's elderly (say roughly those who are 85+) are members of the greatest generation. To openly say that we should cut benefits for the elderly is frequently seen as blasphemous. Do we just strip them of their benefits and leave them to fend for themselves? I don't know.

However, I will say that I mostly agree with you. Honestly, just seeing many of those are who 75+ makes me think if people were even intended to live this long. Yes, it's great that society has progressed such that the average life-expectancy is far higher than it was 100, or even 50 years ago. Obviously though, this comes with the added cost that past a certain age, many people simply become a burden on society. And the more that medicine and health practices advance, the longer people will continue to live...and the more it will cost to keep them propped up, especially as our population continues to grow. Like many social programs, it's simply unsustainable in the long run.

So, there's my unprofessional, blasphemous opinion.

let's just starve them, after all they are taking up space, breathing your air
do you have an eldery parent or grand parent?
good grief~~

Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
so we should just let her suffer, after all what does she mean to you, she is just a burden.
here is an idea, why didn't Obama, when given the chance to really do something about waste, and still could, quit spending money where it goes down the sink hole
why doesn't congress, all of them from both parties, take some cuts of their own, starting with pay cuts, pork spending
why does the teachers union not take a pay freeze? how about the other big unions, good grief
Please read post #20 and quit blaming average Americans for the high cost of everything...follow the MONEY!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
What does the teachers' union have to do with health care costs for the elderly?? (FWIW, teachers in my district have not received a raise in 3 years.)

Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 AM

19 posts, read 20,810 times
Quote:
I was just tired of seeing posts about "obamacare was going to decide who lives and who dies and then they would talk about death panels for elderly. I see elderly who we should just let die in peace instead of doing all this expensive treatments.
I have been in the healthcare industry for 18 years now, and cannot believe you actually believe those people die in peace!

We allow partial birth abortions of a grown fetus, yet we will not allow assisted death for terminally ill patients!

How about some personal responsibility on behalf of those parents having more children than they can afford? Those old people you speak of are from a generation you couldnt possibly know.

They worked their tails off to get that pension in a time were it wasnt all about what I could get for free off the people who work for a living. We live in a welfare state! We live in a society that believes it is unfair if Joe has more than me... rediculous.

Not trying to be mean but if you are indeed a heathcare worker.... please do not come near my family....

Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
When its children who suffer the most? As a healthcare professional, I was reading an interesting blog. As a peds nurse I see many children who can't this or that done because there is no funding or they get rejected by insurance companies,meanwhile an elderly person who is 98 and on a ventilator ,and non responsive(brain dead) is getting her 5th. Hip surgery? Isn't that hip surgery unessesary at this point,meanwhile a child of 5 who is alert and has muscular dystrophy gets denied a wheelchair (and medicaid insurance) when they have a better prognosis than the elderly client? Or an elderly client who gets social security on top of getting a 3000 dollar pension and free medicare but we deny medicaid to the child who has cancer because the parents make 2000 a month? Tell me your opinions please
Never mind......

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
I was just tired of seeing posts about "obamacare was going to decide who lives and who dies and then they would talk about death panels for elderly. I see elderly who we should just let die in peace instead of doing all this expensive treatments.
So are you saying that you are for death panels for elderly?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u
I seriously doubt your story about an elderly person who is brain dead getting a 5th hip surgery. No doctor would recommend that and very few if any families would approve it. Advanced medical directives would address issues like when to treatment, or not, at the end of life but the Republicans don't want this cost save measure built into the health care system.

I also doubt that medicaid denied a wheelchair to a child with muscular dystrophy. They may have denied a wheelchair with all the bells and whistles on it---the same as they do for seniors---but if the child really needed a chair based on the doctor's assessment (not the families) he'd get it. There are also all kinds of charity groups that help children with serious medical problems.

If you're going to judge medical costs strictly on cost alone then it's the adult who should get treated, not the children. The children will cost the system a lot more money over his/her life time than the 98 year old senior. So how about we have a system where we don't make choices like that and just treat everyone? But that's too democratic for some people's tastes, isn't it.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
However, when many of them paid in, the average doctor bill was probably less than 1000 dollars, for a serious surgery.
Probably. However, if this had been a savings account that they put money into, you would have expected it to have gained alot of interest over the years and be worth quite a bit. So the cost then and now is not really a relevant argument w/o doing alot of math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies