Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Sorry, this is just a stupid thing to say.

You know how many baked products have salt in them? I just made some dough from scratch that had salt in it. I suppose not putting that in, and then putting the salt on top of the bread after its baked is the same thing.

Or, a grander idea. You can not limit the amount of salt in pre-made dough, and allow people the CHOICE not to buy it and buy an alternative brand.

Why are libs so against choice? Why do they feel the nanny-government is in place to direct peoples behavior and subsequently freedom as YOU see fit?
What a nonsensical argument

When baking from scratch, you can do whatever you want, but I'd recommend adding the salt BEFORE you bake it. No you are right, salting the top of a baked loaf of bread is not the same as adding it to uncooked dough. You've blown my argument to smithereens.

You could also add salt to baked goods that are purchased, if you really wanted too. How much salt do you think a commercial bakery is adding to it's goods anyway?

The fact that you made the dough yourself means you had the ultimate freedom to add as much salt as you wanted, and that is personal freedom at it's finest; sodium content of dough.

You could also add salt to premade dough, BEFORE YOU BAKE IT.

Any chef worth his salt (yuk yuk) knows when baking and cooking you use unsalted products (butter, nuts, etc.) because you can add the salt, but you cannot remove it, thus giving you control.

On a side note, that's awesome that you made your own dough. That's what rugged individuals who really value freedom do. They don't rely on FDA approved dough. Only pansy libs buy premade dough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
If the Corporations, on their own, reduced sodium by replacing the loss with potassium, it would be the intelligent thing to do.

(Potassium chloride/sodium chloride, 50-50)

But, alas, neither Big Government nor Big Business has any brains.

Exchanging potassium for sodium is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Higher than normal levels of this ion cause fatal heart arythmia. This is a heart that just quivers instead of beating.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

To answer Pollyrobin, I would wholeheartedly agree that one should NOT blindly trust the Govt or embrace the concept of a "nanny state" dictating the terms of everything we do,eat whatever. Of course not.

But on "this" issue - then yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Dealing with the health problems caused by excess sodium intake costs EVERY taxpayer.

If one reads the article posted by the OP it is stated that this is still in the "negotiation" phase and any lowering of sodium content in processed foods would be a gradual process.

As for me? well I'll stick with my home cooked from scratch meals.
I too, make meals from scratch with vegetables from my garden But it is my Choice. When it comes to natural substances, I am concerned as to where the FDA wants to take their authority, if and when, given the opportunity.
It's really not about "salt" per se.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
No one seems to understand why America might want to clean up its diet. It might have something to do with getting a handle on what medical care will cost for 100 million Americans who have what are called chronic health diseases many of which are caused by certain elements of the American diet like salt, potassium, phosphous, and high fructose corn syrup (aka suger on steroids). For example, diabetes and the 30 million who are likely to get this disease in the next decade. On average if a diabetic gets one of its consequenses like kidney failure, blindness, or the loss of feet legs etc. , his medical costs will be $30,000 on average each year of his remaining life. There is a similar story for cardiovascular disease and strokes which about a third of our population is likely to suffer. America is looking at a healthcare liability of several trillion dollars which will gobble up your taxes like nothing else. That or we will understand that most of us are going to die prematurly. So we have a national choice. To try to moderate this dietary excess or embrace lives blighted by chronic diseases.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
No one seems to understand why America might want to clean up its diet. It might have something to do with getting a handle on what medical care will cost for 100 million Americans who have what are called chronic health diseases many of which are caused by certain elements of the American diet like salt, potassium, phosphous, and high fructose corn syrup (aka suger on steroids). For example, diabetes and the 30 million who are likely to get this disease in the next decade. On average if a diabetic gets one of its consequenses like kidney failure, blindness, or the loss of feet legs etc. , his medical costs will be $30,000 on average each year of his remaining life. There is a similar story for cardiovascular disease and strokes which about a third of our population is likely to suffer. America is looking at a healthcare liability of several trillion dollars which will gobble up your taxes like nothing else. That or we will understand that most of us are going to die prematurly. So we have a national choice. To try to moderate this dietary excess or embrace lives blighted by chronic diseases.
Yeah, I gotta remember to cut back on my potassium intake.

Think I'll avoid bananas - 88 mg each - could die from an overdose.

"Having too much potassium in the blood is called hyperkalemia; having too little is known as hypokalemia. Keeping the right potassium balance in the body depends on the amount of sodium and magnesium in the blood. Too much sodium -- common in Western diets that use a lot of salt -- may increase the need for potassium. Diarrhea, vomiting, excessive sweating, malnutrition, malabsorption syndromes (such as Crohn's disease) can also cause potassium deficiency, as well as use of a kind of heart medicine called loop diuretics."

Potassium

Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
But leave HFCS alone..that is the killer that is making everyone fat.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Exchanging potassium for sodium is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Higher than normal levels of this ion cause fatal heart arythmia. This is a heart that just quivers instead of beating.
Can't do that from EATING too much potassium, just like you can't BREATHE too much oxygen - you're talking about lethal injection.

But, even then, air's cheaper if you want to pop your heart.

Mental stress, physical stress (athletics), coffee, alcohol and prednisone all deplete potassium 2:1 over sodium.

Doctors do NOT want people to know this.

Are you a doctor?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Don't always think government regulation is in your own best interests. At what point does the FDA stop being the regulatory armpit of America?
First it's salt, then it's regulating medicinal herbs and vitamins. The e cigarette trade is on the Horizon.
Where do you want it to end. If ever?

Don't kid yourself. The FDA is in Corporate
America's back pocket.
So the solution is to remove regulation all together, and leave it solely up to the corporations?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously
The government never considers unintended consequences. If there's a problem, they think they need to pass law because that's what they do. Ten years from now, we'll find out that the substance added to replace salt is actually worse than salt and probably causes cancer.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Is sugar next? Also not a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies