Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Many senior FDA officials can just lick your skin and tell whether you're over the limit.
LOL...clearly you are over the limit. I think you need to call an FDA official to lick your skin because the high sodium level in your blood stream is making you delirious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Ah'm thinkin' of spraying brine on the pasture, just to get the Angus to eat more, without me having to load them up on antibiotics and hormones to put on extra weight.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
They'll get my salt shaker when they pry my cold dead fingers from it.
FREEEEEDOM (think of the movie Brave-heart)
If the FDA starts to remove the rock salt off of Pretzel
Thins - it's time for a revolt

Here are the top sodium producers:

Dehydrated onion soup mix (1 packet): 3,132 milligrams

Seasoned bread crumbs (1 cup): 2,111 milligrams

Spaghetti sauce (1 cup): 1,203 milligrams

Canned chicken noodle soup (1 cup): 1,106 milligrams

Frozen turkey and gravy (5 ounces): 787 milligrams

Canned cream-style corn (1 cup): 730 milligrams

Teriyaki sauce (1 tablespoon): 690 milligrams

Vegetable juice cocktail (1 cup): 653 milligrams

Beef or pork salami (2 slices): 604 milligrams

Canned jalapeno peppers (1/4 cup, solids and liquids): 434 milligrams

With the exception of beef or pork salami, all other ingredients listed above can be salted up via preparation.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Why is it that every single issue must be boiled down into a nonsensical argument about liberals vs. conservatives. Give it up. Both liberals and conservatives are laying up in hospital beds dying heart disease and hypertension.

My mom is a dietitian who works with people dying of kidney failure. Most of her patients have absolutely no clue about the realities of their salt intake. She regularly talks about how her patients say things like oh, I never use salt, and I don't own a salt shaker, but they completely fail to realize that the cup of tomato sauce they used on their pasta has over 400mg of sodium per 1/4 cup meaning that they just ate over 1600mg of sodium in the course one one meal (when the range is should be 1500-2400mg per day).

Of course she explains all of this, but the average person (who does not have the benefit of a dietitian speaking with them in their daily lives) really has no clue about this either. It would be one thing if we could all look around and say that people are living healthy lives, but that is simply not the case. Obesity and other health issues are getting out of control is this country, and this is simply a matter of public health.

NPR just recently talked about this issue on their program Day to Day, and I suggest people listen to this if you have not already done so. It sums up these issues nicely.
Great post.

It's NOT ABOUT "the nanny state" blah blah blah - it's about the FDA finally waking up and actually negotiating with the MANUFACTURERS to stop producing products that are laden with unhealthy sodium levels.

There's no "loss of freedom" to the individual - if people CHOOSE to throw salt over everything they eat then they still can - and deal with the health consequences themselves. Or let Medicare/health insurers deal with the consequences.

I think the major concern is that many people who consume a lot of PROCESSED food are genuinely ignorant of the amounts of salt they are consuming because salt is present in so many products, even those that are considered "sweet". It's very much a hidden danger and sadly, people are still not waking up to it.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM

507 posts, read 678,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this entire move to control sodium is an issue presented by liberals, that is why. Sure, we know sodium can add to heart trouble and high blood pressure but it alone does not cause either desease and people today are living longer, healthier and more active lives than ever before.

As for obesity and other conditions getting out of control, look at the sugar added to everything even some old fashion cold cereals and how about kids spending most of their waking hours in front of the TV or computer when not in school: what happened to mandatory PE in all grades, K through 12. In fact even in college we had to take a couple of units of PE. I think every semester in lower devision. What happened to the 2 recess scheduled at school daily plus plenty of time at lunch to play kick ball, hop scotch, dodge ball or teather ball for starters? How often do you see kids riding their bikes or walking to school or friends houses?

What about all the foods with fillers and all the prepared ready to eat entrees and snacks on the market? Do most liberals shy away from purchasing these things? I think not. My degree is in foods and nuitrition (I admit I graduated 200 years ago) but I still keep up. No, sodium isn't the number one thing we should be concerned about, beleive me...plus the governmnet needs to stay out of our lives, we do not need a nanny state..we are adults, and are able we make our own choices. I do agree, most people do not realize how much sodium is in many foods, this still doesn't give the state the right to pass laws controlling what we do or do not do.
This issue here is sodium, and that is what I addressed. I never claimed that sodium sole contributor to negative health issues (that assertion would be ridiculous), but I believe that is it something that needs to be addressed. As you've probably seen in this thread, there are even conservatives who agree with the FDA's plan. My point is that not every issue needs to be polarized.

I think it's absurd to make all of these political generalizations. Most issues and people are simply not that black and white. To claim that liberals don't "shy away from" buying foods with fillers and such is completely ridiculous.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
But a pinch and a dash can quickly add up to unhealthy levels of sodium, especially when many foods already contain more than enough sodium. About 11 percent of the sodium in the average U.S. diet comes from adding salt or other sodium-containing condiments to foods while cooking or eating. But the majority of the sodium — 77 percent — comes from eating prepared or processed foods that contain the mineral. So even though you may limit the amount of salt you add to food, the food itself may already be high in sodium.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/nu00284

Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
Let's call it like it is: banning substances for public safety is a SOCIALLY CONSERVATIVE move.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM

277 posts, read 627,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If the FDA starts to remove the rock salt off of Pretzel
Thins - it's time for a revolt

Here are the top sodium producers:

Spaghetti sauce (1 cup): 1,203 milligrams
I am using this one example because I remember the details off the top of my head, I buy Pasta sauce at the Health food store, I mix a jar of Pasta sauce that has 280mg sodium per half cup with a jar that is only 35mg per half cup and then I don't have too much sodium in my spaghetti, I also add baked chicken breast that I shred and use whole wheat spaghetti.
The chicken breast I use has about 65mg sodium per 4oz. That makes a nice low sodium main course that is high in fiber and low in sodium, the only downside is that the low sodium Pasta sauce is far more expensive from the health food store, about $9 for the two jars.

If I was poor I would end up buying the less expensive loaded with too much salt brands.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol But your willing to give free resign to the gov

sodium (ions) present in salt that the body requires in order to perform a variety of essential functions. Salt helps maintain the fluid in our blood cells and is used to transmit information in our nerves and muscles. It is also used in the uptake of certain nutrients from our small intestines. The body cannot make salt and so we are reliant on food to ensure that we get the required intake.

I would say it has a value that we need
Free reign? Are you joking? You are being duped into thinking that your food is seasoned and tastes good due to an over abundance of salt and that is okay with you? Nobody is tellng you that you cannot add your own salt, but why would you rally against corporations not being allowed to exacerbate illnesses due to too much salt intake? Do you not realize that there is naturally occuring salt in foods that you are not even aware of? I cannot believe this ignorance.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously

as long as you can get a big box of morton's at the supermarket what is the problem? you can salt your food all you want. we should not allow food companies to put into food what ever they think they should, remember red dye #5? MSG? all the rest? do we need 6 cups of sugar in our cookies or will 1 cup do? if it isn't sweet enough or have enough salt in it I can always add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies