Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why are there no shut off valves? I'm no deep water oil company expert, but don't most other lines around the world have valves for this exact reason?
I'm a petroleum engineer. There are valves to shut off offshore wells, but these can not be activated in the event of a blowout.

In this case a blow out preventer (BOP) must be used. Usually you have several different types of rams in a BOP stack. You have blind rams which can close an open wellbore, pipe rams, which seal around tubular components in the well... and finally last but definitely not least-- shear rams...rams that can close and actually cut through tubular components (such as drill pipe). Shear rams are the last resort for preventing a blowout.

You also may have an annular BOP on the well. This is a spherical BOP that uses rubber (reinforced with steel) to close around the drill string in the event of a blowout.

The BOP was activated on this rig-- and it is not yet clear why it didn't work as it was supposed to... I guess we will find out once they finally are able to control the blow out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So your point is that these guys blew up their own oil well to terrorize the US? (and lose billions) Not exactly an astute business model.

I think you were just ranting, I just don't follow your point.
No, executives DELIBERATELY CHOSE to not use a vital safety feature to save a few thousand bucks....they need that money to go into their perks....hence, they do NOT care about the lives of the workers or the Americans all along the coast who will lose their livelihoods, the debilitating harm and unfixabler damage, to the environment,.....all this affects our economy....do you think crippling our economy does NOT harm America or Americans?????? Loose the repug near-sightedness.

What BP has spent so far to fix the problem is a tiny drop in their HUGE bucket....get things in perspective...it'll help.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, executives DELIBERATELY CHOSE to not use a vital safety feature to save a few thousand bucks....they need that money to go into their perks....hence, they do NOT care about the lives of the workers or the Americans all along the coast who will lose their livelihoods, the debilitating harm and unfixabler damage, to the environment,.....all this affects our economy....do you think crippling our economy does NOT harm America or Americans?????? Loose the repug near-sightedness.

What BP has spent so far to fix the problem is a tiny drop in their HUGE bucket....get things in perspective...it'll help.
First of all, its lose, not loose. When will people learn how to spell?

Secondly, the oil industry has some of the strictest safety procedures of any industry. You can't even step foot on an offshore rig without going through countless hours of rigorous safety training. And no-- oil company CEO's did not "deliberately chose" to have the well blowout-- that's just ridiculous.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM

191 posts, read 143,990 times
Quote:
Yes, I did see some of it....the White Terrorist CEO Clones each blamed each other....nothing will come of it......

Par for the course. I guess we can just do what liberals do with the Black terrorist thugs, blame society.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

So suddenly I'm a "repug" because I'm questioning just wth you are trying to say with your "terrorist white CEO clone" nonsense?

FYI- I voted for Obama you wingnut.

Egads, you can wipe the fear and hysteria off your post with a towel. Get a grip.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Secondly, the oil industry has some of the strictest safety procedures of any industry. You can't even step foot on an offshore rig without going through countless hours of rigorous safety training. And no-- oil company CEO's did not "deliberately chose" to have the well blowout-- that's just ridiculous.
You are mis-informed...the CEO's did not deliberately CHOOSE to have the blow out and THAT is NOT what I posted...(.....reading is as important as spelling)the safety feature was deliberately left off or unfunctioning to save money DELIBERATELY...., and I'm not talking about saving money when ya fill up with gas.....EVERY REPORT I've heard or read ALL say the company was negligent and have a BAD safety record.....

EXECutives do NOT need hours of safety training ..where did you get that!?
They make decisions based on money ONLY.....and they don't need to set foot on an oil rig...

Just think "Mine Safety" and" Executive"....and you MIGHT get the picture....

Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You are mis-informed...the CEO's did not deliberately CHOOSE to have the blow out and THAT is NOT what I posted...(.....reading is as important as spelling)the safety feature was deliberately left off or unfunctioning to save money DELIBERATELY...., and I'm not talking about saving money when ya fill up with gas.....EVERY REPORT I've heard or read ALL say the company was negligent and have a BAD safety record.....

EXECutives do NOT need hours of safety training ..where did you get that!?
They make decisions based on money ONLY.....and they don't need to set foot on an oil rig...

Just think "Mine Safety" and" Executive"....and you MIGHT get the picture....
What safety feature are you talking about? The BOP stack was on the well. There are no other safety features to prevent blow outs. The BOP stack is typically 99.99999% effective. Why would any CEO want to jeopardize a multi-million dollar operation by cutting tiny costs? That just doesn't make any sense...

Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So suddenly I'm a "repug" because I'm questioning just wth you are trying to say with your "terrorist white CEO clone" nonsense?

FYI- I voted for Obama you wingnut.

Egads, you can wipe the fear and hysteria off your post with a towel. Get a grip.
No, I said, "Loose the repug near-sightedness."

I didn't call you a repug.... they are notorious for never being able to see past the end of their noses.

The "fear" and "hysteria" in my posts is only your projection.

Upset about this HUGE disaster? Yes....and while some real dolts in this country are worried about someone's sex life I think my priorities are in better order.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

BP's safety record is terrible. They put profit ahead of people's lives and the environment many times!

Quote:
“BP is a London-based oil company with one of the worst safety records of any oil company operating in America,” says Tyson Slocum of Public Citizen. “In just the last few years, BP has paid $485 million in fines and settlements to the US government for environmental crimes, willful neglect of worker safety rules, and penalties for manipulating energy markets.”
BP Oil Spill Highlights Poor Safety Record, the Worst of Any Oil Company in America

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_BjWzUIc0

Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
When enviromental nuts get out of the way and let oil companies drill closer to the shore,in shallower water!

If this was in shallow water.......This oil leak would have been stop in a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not necessarily! Especially with the company BP.

Quote:
"The reality is that BP has a long history of underinvesting and reinvesting in their infrastructure," Coon says. "Deferred maintenance causes things to just wear out and not be replaced. And they're just a fix-it-as-it-breaks type company'.
Quote:
In the past five years, two high-profile accidents have occurred at BP facilities -- one at a Texas refinery, another at a pipeline in Alaska's Prudhoe Bay.
In 2005, at a refinery in Texas City, Texas, 15 BP employees died and 170 were injured after a unit that manufactured jet fuel exploded. Temporary trailers had been placed as offices next to extremely volatile units. During the subsequent investigations, evidence emerged that BP management was focused on cutting maintenance and capital spending costs at the company's refineries.
NPR.org » Previous BP Accidents Blamed On Safety Lapses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies