Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We need to continue drilling for oil over here and stop buying from the middle east! Tap Tap Tap the sea floor baby!

If that one alone spewed 4,000,000 gallons, just imagine how much oil we have off our shores !

It was stupid for them not to have a plan in order about how to deal with a disaster.

We shouldn't drill anymore wells till they can effectively and quickly contain a disaster like this.
Yeah lets stop drilling wells! Instead lets watch our economy fall into shambles as the whole energy industry collapses! I like food stamps! /sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Yeah lets stop drilling wells! Instead lets watch our economy fall into shambles as the whole energy industry collapses! I like food stamps! /sarcasm
No, we don't need to stop drilling........

let's start tightening regulations and punishing incompetant companies who cut corners like BP did...let's throw CEO who cause these disasters and DEATHS in jail where they belong.

The economy of the south coast IS in a shambles from THIS disaster....how many more can we take?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
I'm not sure who is arguing for us to stop drilling but to argue that we need to drill in environmentally sensitive areas is a bit more suspect. As an petroleum engineer I would assume that you know that the EIA projects that Central gulf zone of the ocs still has more oil reserves that was is estimated in all of the moratorium areas combined.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
The oil leak started April 20th right? We now have the well gushing oil in the gulf for over 23 days!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm not sure who is arguing for us to stop drilling but to argue that we need to drill in environmentally sensitive areas is a bit more suspect. As an petroleum engineer I would assume that you know that the EIA projects that Central gulf zone of the ocs still has more oil reserves that was is estimated in all of the moratorium areas combined.
You can't drill in what the government calls environmentally sensitive areas.

Now the tough question is-- what defines an "environmentally sensitive area?"

Some people argue everything is environmentally sensitive-- others would argue specific parts of the world. Its really up to the person classifying this...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, we don't need to stop drilling........

let's start tightening regulations and punishing incompetant companies who cut corners like BP did...let's throw CEO who cause these disasters and DEATHS in jail where they belong.

The economy of the south coast IS in a shambles from THIS disaster....how many more can we take?
I agree with punishing BP... It seems sometimes that they have a knack for this kind of stuff (refinery that blew up in houston-- anyone remember that one?). And its funny that they are trying to be "beyond petroleum" and the company that is the most "sensitive to the environment." If all you watched were their commercials, you would believe all their energy comes from sunlight and fairy dust.

I'm sure a fine will be imposed on BP-- and regulations will probably increase for offshore drilling (or maybe all drilling)-- this will make the cost of drilling increase, which in turn will make the resources more expensive to extract, which in turn will make them more expensive to refine, which will make them more expensive at the pump for the everyday Americans...

As for throwing their CEO in jail?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
You can't drill in what the government calls environmentally sensitive areas.
I thought that was obvious from my post.

Quote:
Now the tough question is-- what areas are environmentally sensitive?
Clearly the areas within the moratorium areas particularly the eastern gulf have long been considered to be too environmentally sensitive to risk drilling.

Either way, as I pointed out, estimated technically recoverable oil in the ares not excluded by the moratorium such as the Central Gulf outstrip all of the excluded areas combined. This is what bothers me when folks scream that we must "drill here and drill now" or whatever they are screaming at the moment.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I thought that was obvious from my post.

Clearly the areas within the moratorium areas particularly the eastern gulf have long been considered to be too environmentally sensitive to risk drilling.

Either way, as I pointed out, estimated technically recoverable oil in the ares not excluded by the moratorium such as the Central Gulf outstrip all of the excluded areas combined. This is what bothers me when folks scream that we must "drill here and drill now" or whatever they are screaming at the moment.
I hate studies like those. They usually use volumetrics-- which uses blanket numbers for each area and heavily overestimates reserves. Also, those numbers probably include gas hydrates-- which no one knows how to extract (as of yet!)

But it is an interesting plot. I didn't know those areas were environmentally sensitive. (I don't work on any offshore projects)

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
I agree with punishing BP... It seems sometimes that they have a knack for this kind of stuff (refinery that blew up in houston-- anyone remember that one?). And its funny that they are trying to be "beyond petroleum" and the company that is the most "sensitive to the environment." If all you watched were their commercials, you would believe all their energy comes from sunlight and fairy dust.

I'm sure a fine will be imposed on BP-- and regulations will probably increase for offshore drilling (or maybe all drilling)-- this will make the cost of drilling increase, which in turn will make the resources more expensive to extract, which in turn will make them more expensive to refine, which will make them more expensive at the pump for the everyday Americans...

As for throwing their CEO in jail?
The cost of the solution to the problem with the BOP was a tiny tiny drop in the bucket ...especially compared to CEO wages...did they buy their "Never Go To Jail " card with it?

Can you NOT understand the devastation both environmentally and ECONOMICALLY that this greed caused??????????????

You're happy destroying both so you can buy cheaper gas????While CEOs rake in more money than small countries while killing people???

Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The cost of the solution to the problem with the BOP was a tiny tiny drop in the bucket ...especially compared to CEO wages...did they buy their "Never Go To Jail " card with it?
You honestly think they cut corners with the BOP to save money? So they risked a multi-million dollar well to save a few bucks? Now that's just silly. This was an accident and probably could not have been averted.

End of argument about CEO's going to jail. Stop drinking kool-aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies