Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Did they close or not? You need to give more information about how many BOP's you closed (I'm guessing not many as this doesn't occur very often). Also-- how often did you close SHEAR RAMS. (I'm guessing hardly ever, as this creates another issue altogether)

Listen-- the point can be made easily... How many blow outs besides this one is everyone familiar with? (Not many!)

Now how many wells are drilled each year in the world? (A lot lot lot!)

Thus my point!
I wouldn't expect this fourm to be populated by a lot of O&G industry people so of course they wouldn't be aware of any other than this one, or ones that make the news. But I have been around for some biggies. I'm just saying, they must have gotten a lot better than when I was drilling. They pretty much didn't work at all. Rigs had been mothballed so many times, cannibalized for spare parts, etc. We just hoped we didn't need them. I still remember one specific blowout, everyone is scrambling off the location while one guy is banging on the thing under the sub-structure with a sledge hammer, trying to coax the ram to close as mud and gas were blasting through the annulus. We weren't going to hang around to see the rig launch.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Wait... I thought the conservatives believed that the government can't do anything right and that the private sector is the answer to every problem. So let the private sector solve this situation and don't spend one dime of taxpayer money cleaning up after BP's mess. Get all those Coast Guard ships out of there and tell FEMA to pack up all those booms and skimmers. After all, private companies are SOOO much more effective than govt...
Great points!

Why don't the repugs scream about our tax dollars being used to clean up after their god's irresponsible, and deadly, behaviour????

Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Congress Looks for Answers After Gulf Oil Spill - US News and World Report

$3.00 per gal for gas now......I can't wait for summer time.

This is totally screwing up the fishing/shrimp/clam/oysters.

The Federal Government is so big, but where is it when when we really need it?????

When the price of gas hits 5 or 6 dollars a gallon :-)

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Meanwhile, with US firms and BP are looking impotent and corrupt, take a look at this news just in.

A natural gas rig in the ocean off of Venezuela sank today. No explosion. No fire. No one died. THEIR blowout preventer worked.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM

604 posts, read 1,307,931 times
Default I am not kidding about this!!!

Quote:
I would like to see a few Navy Air Craft Carriers, a few dozen other ships, every Coast Guard ship...period, and local National Guard called in.

Looking at the latest satillate photo's, this spill is getting much worse.
I am not kidding!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
When enviromental nuts get out of the way and let oil companies drill closer to the shore,in shallower water!

If this was in shallow water.......This oil leak would have been stop in a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this was onshore it would have been stopped in minutes.....

Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
At the end of this clip, the FOUR STORY containment thang is spewing oil out of it everywhere. Think of it as a four story building, constantly spewing that much oil for that long. This is the catastrophe of the century.

YouTube - Lowering the Cofferdam

Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:

The Federal Government is so big, but where is it when when we really need it?????
We need to continue drilling for oil over here and stop buying from the middle east! Tap Tap Tap the sea floor baby!

If that one alone spewed 4,000,000 gallons, just imagine how much oil we have off our shores !

It was stupid for them not to have a plan in order about how to deal with a disaster.

We shouldn't drill anymore wells till they can effectively and quickly contain a disaster like this.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

What do you want them to do? If you have an answer, I'm sure they would like to hear it.

My local paper just had a story about gas prices going down for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies