Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest that solider who assault other soldier: straight, gay, or female can be dealt with by the military judicial system. Those "tough guys" like we have on C-D become very meek and mild when behind the stockade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
According to the Pentagon reports, there were 1643 sexual assaults in the military in 2009. 8.2% were committed by gays (mostly male-on-male but a few female-on-female). The other 91.8% were by straight men on women (assuming no straight women sexually assaulted any straight men but the report doesn't make that clear). All things considered, 1643 sexual assaults in a population of approximately 1.5 million active duty doesn't amount to much, although how many of those 1.5 million are actually living in the close quarters of barracks is unknown. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps a million or more could be married and living in apartments, either on or off base, or are officers and have separate accommodations.
So a lot stronger case could be make by religious right fanatics to ban women from joining the military. So why aren't they doing that, too?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM

138 posts, read 165,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ok, not a hater. Socially retarded. Is that better? Un-PC enough for you?
So are Christians considered socially retarded or haters? Make up your mind, kid.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So a lot stronger case could be make by religious right fanatics to ban women from joining the military. So why aren't they doing that, too?
Actually the case is stronger for banning heterosexual males. They are the offenders.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious View Post
So are Christians considered socially retarded or haters? Make up your mind, kid.
Not all of them.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM

571 posts, read 943,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Anybody who opposes gays in the military is filled with hate, whether they realize it or not. There can be no intelligent debate on this issue.
This isn't, say, a debate about creationism being taught in schools, or legalizing marijuana. This is a debate about people who honestly want to serve their country for the greater good and being told "No, because you're going to rape or ogle at other guys. Sorry!" just because they happen to like people of the same gender as them.

It's ridiculous and disrespectful to assume our troops are all retarded, immature 15-year old boys. They aren't. Being in the military makes you more accepting and tolerant of those who are different from you, if anything, because you are exposed to the other extreme- honest-to-goodness horrible, evil people- and everybody back home seems like a saint. I've known many who have served, and they've all come back twenty times more mature than they were.

"Yeah, I shot a 6-year old with a bomb strapped to her chest because I had no choice. It was either she dies or all of us die. I've had to endure 95-degree heat while watching to see if the next truck contains a bomb or not. I have been shot in the side by an Islamic extremist who is shouting 'Allahu Akhbar!'

But gay guys in the army? HELL NO THEY MIGHT LOOK AT ME IN THE SHOWER!"

Also, for those of you who stereotype all gays as being Adam Lambert-like, The bear community would like a word with you.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:08 PM

138 posts, read 165,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Actually the case is stronger for banning heterosexual males. They are the offenders.
Then you'd better pack your gear and get ready to deploy. Unless you're all talk, like your whiny friends. I'm certain that's the case, all you haters bawl about the military and have all these grand ideas, but are too scared, weak, or goofy to join.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
apples to oranges

military women aren't being forced to share bedrooms with men

Old 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM

571 posts, read 943,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
apples to oranges

military women aren't being forced to share bedrooms with men
"I'm not sharing my bedroom with no black guy. He might try and take sumthin' from me while I ain't lookin'"

-This exact same conversation in the 40's and 50's

Bottom (har!) line, it doesn't matter, anyway! Our Constitution states that all are entitled to equal protection under the law. Therefore, constitutionally, gays should be allowed to serve openly. The soldiers will just have to somehow get over that.

BTW, I'm bi and have tons of straight male friends who have no problem with me sleeping in the same room with them at all. One of my closest friends just got back from serving in a base in Georgia, and he has literally no issue with me. Once you get to know someone, you really don't care about stupid stuff like their religion, race, or orientation and trust they won't betray your friendship by doing something stupid. I see no purpose in trying to seduce straight guys, and most other gay/bi guys would agree with me- ESPECIALLY the ones in the military. If a gay/bi guy did try that, he'd either get punched or kicked out or both and rightfully so.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I would bet the farm that few, if any, of those sexual assaults committed by gays were on other gays. Otherwise, why the need for assault? Just go somewhere and do it in private.
Good point. That totally explains why heterosexual rape doesn't exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies