Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-IN-LA View Post
IT'S DON'T Ask Don't Tell, Don't Harass. I THINK MOST PEOPLE Forget about the last part, the Rule was put in effect not to discourage Gays, just to protect them from Harassment that they may receive from Straight Military members. Don't Tell and Don't ask a person Sexual orintation and you will not have a problem that's the idea with the US Military.
Not exactly. It was a compromise. Clinton originally pushed for repealing the ban on Gays serving in the Military, however he was not able to get what he wanted and then agreed to Don't Ask Don't Tell as part of a compromise. Btw, how many people who ask do you think gets thrown out of the Military compared to those who tell. Its long past time for the repeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wonder how The Family Research Council did the research on this.
From the Pentagon Report. A link to that report is in the FRC article.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Mostly half truths and opinions . Many of these ' rapes ' are claims by women in the military who get knocked up or are willing and blame it on rape. Another reason women should not be in combat .

And to compare the black race with perversion is simply a big insult to the black race .
The comparison that I was making was when the powers to be would not let blacks serve alongside with whites during the war. It took a congressional proclaimation for them to intergrate the military. This is what I meant when I made the statement

Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Let's see, where do I start?

---for some reason,lesbians are not as threatening as males---

apples to oranges
lesbians don't share the same barraks as males

---rape is not a crime of sex--

Most rapes the criminal has an orgasm and leaves DNA

How often does that happen in burglaries,armed robberies, or assault ?
The arguement as a whole is against HOMOSEXUALITY in the military in general but the people that make the loudest noise are always mentioning men and not women.

Leaving evidence has absolutely nothing to do with WHY it happened! I repeat rape is a crime of POWER and not SEX. In otherwords rapist do it for control reasons and not for sexual gratification

Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The arguement as a whole is against HOMOSEXUALITY in the military in general but the people that make the loudest noise are always mentioning men and not women.

Leaving evidence has absolutely nothing to do with WHY it happened! I repeat rape is a crime of POWER and not SEX. In otherwords rapist do it for control reasons and not for sexual gratification

sexual gratification ( male orgasm) is just a side effect ?

Never heard of any male having an orgasm during a murder, armed robbery, assault, etc.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-IN-LA View Post
IT'S DON'T Ask Don't Tell, Don't Harass. I THINK MOST PEOPLE Forget about the last part, the Rule was put in effect not to discourage Gays, just to protect them from Harassment that they may receive from Straight Military members. Don't Tell and Don't ask a person Sexual orintation and you will not have a problem that's the idea with the US Military.
The simple fact is, someone shouldn't be kicked out of hte military because their sexuality was found out. Either by them telling someone, or someone finding out behind their backs.

There shoul d be no negative consequences for what kind of mate you take in your personal life. Being homosexual should not be a disqualifier for military service.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
sexual gratification ( male orgasm) is just a side effect ?

Never heard of any male having an orgasm during a murder, armed robbery, assault, etc.
I'm officially just staying out of the DADT debate because it's causing me stress and giving me headaches in real life. If the pro-DADT crowd is trying to win this like boxers try to win in just tiring out the other side, you may have a chance of winning. Absolutely insufferable.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
The simple fact is, someone shouldn't be kicked out of hte military because their sexuality was found out. Either by them telling someone, or someone finding out behind their backs.

There shoul d be no negative consequences for what kind of mate you take in your personal life. Being homosexual should not be a disqualifier for military service.
The tide of public opinion is in favor of repeal of DADT and chances for its repeal are good. A gay enlists in the military knowing what the rules are. If he/she doesn't want to abide by them, he/she shouldn't be enlisting. If he/she voluntarily reveals his/her sexual orientation, he/she is asking to be booted out. If his/her sexual orientation is revealed against his/her will....well....that is unfortunate, but until the rule is changed, that's the way it is.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The tide of public opinion is in favor of repeal of DADT and chances for its repeal are good. A gay enlists in the military knowing what the rules are. If he/she doesn't want to abide by them, he/she shouldn't be enlisting. If he/she voluntarily reveals his/her sexual orientation, he/she is asking to be booted out. If his/her sexual orientation is revealed against his/her will....well....that is unfortunate, but until the rule is changed, that's the way it is.
I understand that's how the rules are, but the rules are discrimatory and wrong. They can even be used for bisexual people. I'm very glad that it seems that DADT is going to be repealed, however.

Last edited by twinArmageddons; 06-01-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Yes, we know those are the rules, but it doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies