Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM

75 posts, read 60,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That would be great, but I don't think it works that way. We kind of inherit a certain mindset from the people we grow up with, just like dialect, religion etc. Hard to get those things out of one's head...
That doesn't make it right, or acceptable.
Every person has their own ability to make their own choices. It's all down to the specific person whether they choose to propagate a hatred for an entire race because of what previous people that happened to be part of that race did, or if they choose to let the past be the past and move on to accept that it happened, but it is not still happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Did the fact that I did not vote for Bush in 2000 or 2004 mean that he was not the President?
No. What it means is that you can't blame me for Bush's actions because I didn't vote for him either.

Quote:
What I don't understand is how some of you feel that because your ancestors or you did not commit some act.....that it negates that the act was commited.
We're not negating the actions that happened. We're just saying that you should hate on the people who actually owned slaves and contributed to the discrimination and racism - not people who had nothing to do with it.

That would be like me hating a german friend of mine because his great grandfather was SS and I come from a Jewish family.

Quote:
ARe you all saying that because your ancestors came latter or did not own slaves or did not yadda yadda...that therefore blacks were never enslaved and Natives never had their lands taken
No. What is being said is that YOU were never a slave, so you really have no right to say that you are psychologically damaged as a result.

Quote:
...or that you in no way directly or indirectly benefitted and that blacks and Native were in no way directly or indirectely harmed, past and present
Blacks and Natives were in no way directly affected by my family line. However, even if they were - What does it matter today?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Because they're oversensitive idiots?

Get offended at a word, and you give that word more power. Stop being so offended with it, and people won't try to use it in a negative manner.
But that is not up to you to judge...given that you have not walked in the same shoes.

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
I personally think that the card is in poor taste but sometimes you have to pick your battles and this particular one isn't worth fighting.

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
That doesn't make it right, or acceptable.
Every person has their own ability to make their own choices. It's all down to the specific person whether they choose to propagate a hatred for an entire race because of what previous people that happened to be part of that race did, or if they choose to let the past be the past and move on to accept that it happened, but it is not still happening.
I guess it's called collective I am not a fan of it, but I can't deny it is there. Being a German living abroad, no matter how little I care about Germany, people still associate me with Germany history, engineering, mentality etc. when they learn I am German. And what's more, they expect me to associate with those things myself.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
But that is not up to you to judge...given that you have not walked in the same shoes.
And neither have you, since I sincerely doubt you were enslaved.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist, I'm just saying that people take race issues way too far.

The idiotic outrage over this card is mere proof of this.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I personally think that the card is in poor taste but sometimes you have to pick your battles and this particular one isn't worth fighting.
why do you consider it to be in poor taste?

kinda stupid and a complete waste of money, sure.. but in what way could jabbering about conquering the universe be in poor taste?

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Please tell us how a graduation card dealing with the solar system and universe are in poor taste?

75 posts, read 60,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess it's called collective I am not a fan of it, but I can't deny it is there. Being a German living abroad, no matter how little I care about Germany, people still associate me with Germany history, engineering, mentality etc. when they learn I am German.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen.
I'm just saying it shouldn't.
The past is the past.

Like they say, time heals all wounds. Nobody expects time to make the wound have never happened.
But sticking a needle into the wound to prevent it from healing doesn't help either.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I remember Barbies and Elmo dolls being recalled because of what was heard instead of what was intended... no big deal... its not "racist" its simply just easily misunderstood... instead of calling it racists (NAACP can be such drama queens), they should of said it can be mis-conveyed with a different word because of cheap quality recordings... but people like drama because it draws more attention to them even though it makes them look stupid... even bad publicity for the NAACP can give "some" publicity to them otherwise they wouldn't have any real funding left...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies