Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I rode the streetcar last Tuesday. A lot of people got on and didn't pay. Well, I suppose, like me, they all could have had TriMet passes.

I remember once I was riding the Max in from Kaiser in North Portland when a nice young couple came up to me asking about where they should get off to go to Piomeer Square. I told them and as we rode along they commented they could not believe that the MAX was free. I told them it was downtown but not where they got on.

They were shocked. They claimed they did not see the ticket machines or they would have paid. Pretty naive but I guess I could see how it could happen. If you are running for a train and not used to riding it and don't see any gates or turnstyles or ticket takers you might think that.
I am not certain about this, Minervah, but I don't think TriMet passes are allowable for the Streetcars. I know that the tickets weren't. Perhaps it has changed. (Anyone out there know for sure?)

I always found the Fareless Square concept a bit confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:22 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
Trimet tickets work for the MAX, buses and streetcar (but not the tram).

Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I am not certain about this, Minervah, but I don't think TriMet passes are allowable for the Streetcars. I know that the tickets weren't. Perhaps it has changed. (Anyone out there know for sure?)

I always found the Fareless Square concept a bit confusing.
Well if that's the case I am in trouble. I have never paid to ride the streetcar because I always thought my pass took care of the fare. I had better go onto Tri Met's web site and see if I owe them money.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Using a pass or bus transfer receipt

If you have a TriMet pass, bus transfer receipt or Streetcar Annual Pass, just board the Streetcar and have a seat. (Check the time torn at the top of your transfer; you may board until that time.)
This is from the TriMet website. Whew, guess I'm safe!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well if that's the case I am in trouble. I have never paid to ride the streetcar because I always thought my pass took care of the fare. I had better go onto Tri Met's web site and see if I owe them money.
Actually, I think figmalt is right. I decided to check the TriMet site after my last post on here.

I do believe that Tri-Met passes and tickets were not accepted in it's early years but it probably created so much confusion that they decided to partnership with the Streetcars. It was a good decision.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
The obsession with fare evasion continues. Some will not be happy until Trimet invests tens of millions in hardening the system against fare evaders so they can feel justified in being law abiding. That, IMO would be a mistake. Trimet copied a European 'honor system' model when building their system and given the size and scope of the MAX system any other approach would be fiscal insanity. Since the chief proponent of a new "War on Error" waged on the Trimet ridership has ignored my repeated requests for a ballpark figure on revenue loss due to the practice of fare evasion I had to do it myself. Here, look at this. It's the best I was able to do. It says what I suspected: fare evasion happens at an estimated 5% through most of the system except for anomalous stations like the Rose Quarter station where it can be 15%. How much capital do you think Trimet should expend to capture that lost income? Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath for an answer.

H

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Trimet tickets work for the MAX, buses and streetcar (but not the tram).
unless you have a Trimet pass on you OHSU ID

Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The obsession with fare evasion continues. Some will not be happy until Trimet invests tens of millions in hardening the system against fare evaders so they can feel justified in being law abiding. That, IMO would be a mistake. Trimet copied a European 'honor system' model when building their system and given the size and scope of the MAX system any other approach would be fiscal insanity. Since the chief proponent of a new "War on Error" waged on the Trimet ridership has ignored my repeated requests for a ballpark figure on revenue loss due to the practice of fare evasion I had to do it myself. Here, look at this. It's the best I was able to do. It says what I suspected: fare evasion happens at an estimated 5% through most of the system except for anomalous stations like the Rose Quarter station where it can be 15%. How much capital do you think Trimet should expend to capture that lost income? Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath for an answer.

H
The Tijuana Trolley has had honor system ticketing, too, ever since it opened. The fact is, the majority of us are honest & don't mind paying for the service provided. "Obsession with fare evasion" is right. I don't get it, either, but some of the posters seem determined to find ANYTHING to discredit a light rail system they don't even use.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Oh, don't worry ~ the current fare-paying system will NOT change because it can't. Not unless they want to staff fare inspectors at every door ~ which they CAN do if they want to pay for the manpower.

And considering that the current "system" of drop-in-unexpected fare inspectors always bust a couple of non-ticketed riders, most of those riders get fined. How the fines are handled, I've no clue. But the cost to those riders are likely a lot more in the long run for their sneak rides.

But I find your nonchalant attitudes towards non-paying ticket riders quite disturbing. There should be none of this "most are paying". Everybody should pay.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
H
That's not exactly what it said. The authors stated they thought the Rose Quarter station was "probably" higher fare evasion than other places, but the 5% figure you and they refer to is over 12 years old. So there really is no "current" estimate to make that statement.

Did you miss this?
"The estimated $10,511.44 of light rail weekly revenue lost due to fare evasion represents about 20% of estimated outbound MAX fare receipts at the Rose Quarter. As expected, fare losses associated with outbound bus revenues are measurably less at $3,522.99, though still considerable at roughly 8% of the estimated total outbound bus fare revenue."

20% is a decent percentage of revenue lost (and if you look at the prices of the MAX tickets (aren't they double that now), you're talking about much more money today, although I assume the percentage is probably similar), and you can see the difference (60%) of fare evasion between bus and MAX.

IF TriMet is losing 20% of it's potentials fares on the MAX, does this sway your opinion?

I am a strong supporter of mass transit and like the MAX system. I'm not arguing with you over the merits of light rail. I just don't think you read your own sources completely.

I've traveled all over the world, and be on transit in many countries, and have never before come across the honor system like they have here for MAX. I'm to new to say if it's working or not. I just find it kind of odd, and could completely commiserate with the elder couple referred to previously who didn't know they had to pay for the train. If you're coming from Chicago, Boston, NYC, or many other places, you would see no turnstyles and just get on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland