Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I think your mistake was making eye contact a second time. You shouldn't initiate eye contact with a woman in a situation like that a second time, if even at all. I think she tolerated the first glance because it is a natural kind of motion/behavior but a second glance is unnatural. The first glance is okay because it is a natural instinct to check out your surroundings. But when you looked at her the second time you gave her reason to think you did because she was a woman and you were getting "ideas." You already confirmed she was there and a woman. Why look again? The first look is just like a silent, innocent confirmation "okay, woman there" but the second look is you saying "I'm looking for more."

You did say her unfriendly face appeared the second time you made eye contact with her, correct? If so, that would support my hypotheses.

P.S. I think her staring comes from an instinct to want to remember your face in case you attacked her. The more you looked back at her, the more concerned she grew and therefore the stronger and more steady her stare became. If you had just left it at the one eye contact her stare might have eased up, though you never would have known it.
I didn't say that her look was unfriendly the second time I looked at her. I said that it was the second time that I looked at her that I noticed it was unfriendly. Big difference. And if it isn't okay to make eye contact a second time, it certainly is even more rude to stare a person down, the way she was doing to me. Regardless of her reason for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology