Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:06 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

I hear screaming and fighting sounds of people.

I guess the water or the ambiance of the bathroom transpose these sounds into more louder and rhythmic acoustics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
I think it is quite common for people to hear what sound like words in water. Even some of our terms such as "Babbling Brook" reflect that.

It may also explain some ancient religious terms "Living Water" beliefs in "Water Sprites" etc. We human's seem to have some sort of fascination with water sounds. Might be why it has played such a large role in some religions. To the ancients water was "Talking" to them.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,380 times
So many interesting, intelligent answers! This has occurred to me many times as long as I can remember, but only when I'm fully awake and have just settled down to try to sleep.

I hear groups of people talking, and the voices are never the same; it sounds like a sort of "party" kind of conversation, sometimes more animated than others, and sometimes I think I hear accents or particular tones in the voices. I try to isolate each one to better "hear" what they're saying, but I can't do it -- they all rush together.

I also sleep with a ceiling fan on low, and of course now in the summer, the A/C goes on and off. But I've had this experience for years, and though it may certainly be an auditory illusion or my brain trying to make sense of an otherwise undetectable, indefinable "noise," I have always felt strongly that these are imprints -- memory tapes of real people who have either passed over and are now conversing on another plane, or people who are talking somewhere in the world at that time, and I pick up on it due to the relative universality of space and time, which then allows me to retrieve sounds from the cosmic consciousness.

Sounds all very '70s, doesn't it? I've just always had a strong instinct that I'm hearing either what 1) was a conversation that took place in the past and has been "time-stamped" and replays over and over again on levels the human ear can only pick up under certain conditions; 2) a conversation that moves through the atmosphere and is actually taking place somewhere at that exact time in Finland, Ecuador, or maybe not on this planet! Or 3) the "disembodied" voices I hear are people who have died and are conversing on another plane.

There's no doubt that it's a sonic phenomenon, but Woman A might hear the voices through a particular source, and Man B might receive them through another. To me, it feels like I'm receiving the sound that is being transmitted, just like I'd receive a transmission over an AM radio station that I can't quite decipher. Again, I hear different tones of voices, different accents or ways of speaking, sometimes two or three people, sometimes a crowd of 20 or so, both male and female. Always adults. I don't hear children.

I have literally gotten up several times to look out the windows, stand and listen in the hallway, or look outside to find the source of these voices, but no one is ever there.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenvilleMan View Post
When I run water in the shower, sometimes I hear voices - like a crowd of people-
talking, laughing, yelling, making "background noise", but it sounds
far-away.

They are not distinguishable. That is, I cannot tell what they are saying.
Like when you hear a bunch of people talking in the next room,
but can't tell what they are saying.

I used-to think it was ghosts or spirits coming from the running water.

I know I'm not alone, because my mom once mentioned it,
and I learned that both of us had the same problem;
(by the way she is Bi-polar)

I never talked about it with anyone else, or have heard of anyone else having
this problem.

Usually happens when there is a window near the shower.

It hasn't happened lately, and I'm assuming it's because I don't have a window
in my shower anymore.

If anyone else has this problem or has had it,
it would be cool to hear your input.

And maybe give a reasonable explanation for this phenomenon.
There are all kinds of sounds that can often sound like people talking. An elevator at my gym has doors that when they close sound like people talking.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
There are all kinds of sounds that can often sound like people talking. An elevator at my gym has doors that when they close sound like people talking.
Thinking about it there are many sounds that could easily be mistaken for people talking.

A light breeze through a dry corn field

Some distant animal sounds

A crackling fire in a fireplace

A short light earthquake

In an absolutely quiet room, the sound of your own blood flowing.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 07-10-2014 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: Corrected a spelling error. I had a typo in field

Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,621 times
Integrating or blending comes to mind. I work with schizophrenic clients and they have a sensory disorder when it comes to perceptions.
Off the top of my head it sounds like "static" from the shower and not anything to be concerned about. Just don't listen to what they say...you are in control of the voices.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,700 times
I do. I have this all the time. Running water sounds like speech - as though the radio is not quite on the station.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenvilleMan View Post

***I sometimes would think , that with all the waves travelling in the air all day long,
Tv waves, radio waves, cellular phones, microwaves, etc....

That maybe when water is running, it disrupts (or harnesses) the millions/billions of
waves around it , and causes us to hear all of the many sounds flying around us and bouncing
all around us without end. And some of us can hear it, if we pay attention.
Sometimes we hear it without even wanting to.
unlike the op I hear voices and other noises when I am drying my hair some mornings with my blow dryer .. I have to stop and listen for a second ... one of my uncles said he could hear music coming from a window fan on some occasions back in the 40s..there is a small man made waterfall near me and I love to listen to the very low rumble it makes and most people cant hear what I`m speaking of ..

Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
You hear voices in water. Sounds legit and not something to worry about unless it keeps you from bathing, cleaning, etc.

I see faces in almost everything- wallpaper pattrrns, nature, MRI images, etc.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:36 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Actually this reminds me of a "shared delusion" 3 of my friends had when I was like 10.

We were away at someone's cottage and every time I took a shower they would tell me I was singing in there. Since they laughed at me, i was particularly self concious NOT to sing. I never was one to sing in the shower in the first place and still am not. Car radio, sure. Shower, no.

This went on for the entire week. Once they even started clapping when I got out.

I'm convinced they DID hear singing in the water. It just wasn't mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology