Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
"more people have antisocial behavior because they think it's excusable."

Is this just an undocumented opinion? Who says they think it's excusable? That is so strange.
It's a theory based on what I've seen. If it was a proven fact, I would feel no need to start this thread because there would be nothing to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
It's easier to say you have a named problem than to excuse your poor behavior as bad manners...
however as it's now medically covered psychiatrists have another reason to hang out their shingle and you can bet your last dollar it will grow and grow, as thousands more develop this "syndrome" .
People who manage to go through life without having to deal with a problem that is a disadvantage are indeed fortunate. Those who have a problem have no choice but to endure the criticisms of such people
I had the misfortune to be diagnosed with systemic lupus. I didn't look sick; therefore, in the opinions of some, nothing was wrong with me. Their attitude was extremely hurtful, but unchanged. It's easier to have a visible problem, but not realistic since so many ills are hidden. There will always be the naysayers and nothing will alleviate the ignorance which confronts those of us who have to deal with it

Old 03-14-2015, 06:20 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
The thing I've noticed with anything that separates people from what many consider the "normal" population is a lack of sympathy.

Aspergers, ADD/ADHD, Bipolar, etc.... people don't have sympathy for those who suffer through it and thus see this as an unjustifiable crutch. The point of sympathy is to be able to understand without going through it (either yourself or having someone in this situation).

This happens with everything. Topics on those who are overweight, racism, the homeless... it's just another hurdle that "minority" groups have to overcome, unfortunately. I understand there is a definite issue with people with aspergers and it's not them justifying anything if it's simply the truth of their disorder.

I agree with this but frankly (and yes, this will offend) I have major "compassion fatigue" for autism. Enough with the "awareness campaigns " and "Night of a Thousand Stars." Now that famous people's kids have this disorder, and it's less of a stigma than other disorders, i can't drown it out if I tried. Autism awareness commercials on every TV break? Where are the "depression awareness commercials??!" You would think a few drug companies could sponsor them and stop with the pill pushing for a moment. I'd even settle for an advertisement masked as an awareness PSA!

There are MANY other neuro disorders that get nearly no air time. Depression? PTSD? Sleep disorders? OCD? Addictions? These are still "closet diagnoses" and people are still expected to mask their pain, symptoms and suffering.

The diseases that get all the "play" are "disorders first diagnosed in early childhood" like Autism and ADHD. Makes me want to scream- "ADULTS COUNT TOO!" Or to put a more timely political spin on it- "ADULT'S LIVES MATTER!!"

I do aknowledge a large "suicide awareness" presence, however: 1. Most are aimed at teens. Statistically it's a white male in his 40s w no kids most likely to kill himself. 2. The real focus should be on depression (ie, addressing the cause of suicide to stop the effect.)

ADULT MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS!!!!

Maybe I should start a non-profit organization for this...... or somebody should......

Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
People who say, "no offense intended" are about to say something offensive. My son has Aspergers and he doesn't tell people he has it. I think people who don't have it and wonder about it need to read books about it and not form negative opinions based on guesswork. Of course, no offense intended.
You're mistaken. "No offense" is an attempt to offer empathy while still trying to discuss difficult topics. Though it's also a courtesy, since no one has the "right" not to be offended.

BTW, on a slightly less "empathetic" note (…lol), wouldn't life be so much easier if we could all eliminate "negative opinions" just by "redefining the problem"… or better yet, by simply "not mentioning it"?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:19 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
It's a theory based on what I've seen. If it was a proven fact, I would feel no need to start this thread because there would be nothing to talk about.
Nonetheless, it's a giant leap for you to say you know what other people think.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Quote:
Asperger syndrome. They may say this is the reason for their impaired social interaction - including hostility. Is hostility a symptom of AS?

I even see this in people who display no symptoms. Since AS tends to be overdiagnosed, more people have antisocial behavior because they think it's excusable.
No, I do not think that hostility is a symptom of AS. That doesn't mean that a person with AS can't have it, but it's not a result of AS.

Poor social skills, or "impaired social interaction" , is definitely a symptom. Some experts describe antisocial behavior as a symptom, but I don't know if most Aspies are deliberately antisocial. I think in most cases they just have poor social skills, or lack of social interest, but not necessarily "anti" social. (At least not intentionally.)

I certainly don't think any Aspies are "antisocial" because they were diagnosed with it. To the contrary, they were diagnosed with it because they are. Aspies generally have a strong sense of morality, so they are not likely to deliberately be "antisocial" without reason.

I have heard that it is over-diagnosed, but I think that is only regarding male cases. I think that female cases are under-diagnosed.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
No, I do not think that hostility is a symptom of AS. That doesn't mean that a person with AS can't have it, but it's not a result of AS.

Poor social skills, or "impaired social interaction" , is definitely a symptom. Some experts describe antisocial behavior as a symptom, but I don't know if most Aspies are deliberately antisocial. I think in most cases they just have poor social skills, or lack of social interest, but not necessarily "anti" social. (At least not intentionally.)

I certainly don't think any Aspies are "antisocial" because they were diagnosed with it. To the contrary, they were diagnosed with it because they are. Aspies generally have a strong sense of morality, so they are not likely to deliberately be "antisocial" without reason.

I have heard that it is over-diagnosed, but I think that is only regarding male cases. I think that female cases are under-diagnosed.
What is the evidence for this claim, let alone that it's any stronger than "NT's"? Especially since having a rigid and obsessive personal 'code' doesn't necessarily mean it's always the most 'moral' one.

WA Post: ‘Significant’ statistical link between mass murder and autism, brain injury

Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose having morality counts as empathy but the loving animals...not as much. You can't really understand the feelings of an animal so it's not exactly empathy.
Positive emotions for other living things is the point. Try giving the benefit of the doubt. You asked, now try listening to what this person is trying to relate. Unless, you don't really care and only created this thread to try and validate a preconception?

No offense
, but maybe you are the one who has problems with empathy?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You're mistaken. "No offense" is an attempt to offer empathy while still trying to discuss difficult topics. Though it's also a courtesy, since no one has the "right" not to be offended.

That is the guise under which people use it. No offense.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Despite the patterns that emerged in the study, researchers cautioned against sweeping conclusions. Neurodevelopmental disorders, they said, do not portend mass murder.

“It is crucial to note that we are not trying to suggest that individuals with ASD or previous head trauma are more likely to be serial killers or commit serious crime,” Allely said. “Rather we are suggesting that there may be a subgroup of individuals within [mass killers] who may be more likely to commit serious crimes when exposed to certain psychosocial stressors.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology