Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:04 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,322 times

Advertisements

Well, most of Buckeye might not be pretty, but Verrado is lovely, if in a very carefully constructed way. But there are plenty of neighborhoods in the east valley with lots of greenery. Find one, and live in it! For me, having greenery around really takes the edge off the heat--but being able to physically escape it by dipping in a pool every evening (you dry off QUICK) or heading up to the mountains for a daytrip or a weekend can help keep it from feeling mentally oppressive. Your mind needs to have some kind of escape. Like I mentioned before, for me just looking at the water in the pool does something for my psyche.

Pinterest is nice for dreaming....

Do you think you'll buy a house someday in California? A big dream for that area, I know, but looking forward to whatever it is you might be doing once you move back there (or somewhere else you like) is more productive and mentally healthy than obsessing over your "mistake". So start looking at houses, or apartments, or whatever, in the places you think you might like to go. It also has the very practical effect of giving you a sense of the market so that you're well-prepared when you do return, or so that you could start making some financial goals and working toward them, which might make your time in AZ feel more productive and less onerous.

If not fantasy house-hunting, you could be compiling a bucket list of activities you want to do with your family when you get back, and pinning those as well.

When planning future homes or events, I have even let myself buy little tchotchkes, equipment, or decor far in advance, just to make that future event seem real. Not really practical, especially if you don't have much storage, but one does what one must to remain sane, lol.

I don't blame you at all for disliking it, but you really are fortunate that this is temporary. The area does have its pluses, so take advantage of the low cost of living by saving--or by getting the heck out of there a little more often for sanity's sake. I do know, though, about the "mini-crisis" of returning to the place you don't like.

LOTS of people end up permanently or semi-permanently living in places they don't like--or even hate--because of the sorts of commitments and compromises we make as adults. Sometimes it's not something you can see coming and it sort of happens TO you as a result of a series of what seem like reasonable decisions, lol. So consider yourself fortunate that this visit to "hell" is a temporary one, with a very definite end-date. And then, onward & upward!

2 years does seem longer when you're in your twenties. And I remember all of schooling feeling like life deferred. But it's not, really, when you get to look back on it. It's a pretty great part of your life and I'd hate for you to spend it feeling depressed. For many years I've kept the one or two things that I love about where I live at the top of my mind. So even though I might still think or even say, "I hate it here!" I follow up with, "BUT I do love ___________" or "But I would really miss ___________." Again, what one has to do to maintain sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Be careful to pace your self, Quizilla. You could burn out, if you aren't careful.

BTW, if you drive out in the desert, keep your eyes open for road runners.

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Stay or go back home. You're an adult. Make a choice . Live and deal with any consequences.
I don't want to sound mean but I can't express this any other way without being blunt. It's debatable if the OP is an adult. If she goes "home," she's certainly not. Major signs of adulthood are:

-Being able to delay gratification.
-Disengaging from parents.
-Being able to deal with adversity, make good decisions, and handle pressure.
-Staying on course with plans and taking responsibility for actions.

The OP's cry for help indicates that several of those hallmarks of psychological maturity have not been achieved. This is 24 months we're talking about! Half the length of time it takes most people to get an undergrad degree.

The OP isn't in prison. She isn't even in the Army. She is merely in a temporary place that isn't aesthetically pleasing to her and, I would assume, is causing her some challenges and discomfort. Hardly reasons to flee a task that will be over soon and will provide her with a basis for a constructive future life.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 02-18-2016 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 02-18-2016, 11:27 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
As opposed to the psychologically mature adulthood required to rag on a stranger on the internet who just wanted to vent and get some advice?

Old 02-18-2016, 03:18 PM

299 posts, read 439,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
As opposed to the psychologically mature adulthood required to rag on a stranger on the internet who just wanted to vent and get some advice?
^ this

Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't want to sound mean but I can't express this any other way without being blunt. It's debatable if the OP is an adult. If she goes "home," she's certainly not. Major signs of adulthood are:

-Being able to delay gratification.
-Disengaging from parents.
-Being able to deal with adversity, make good decisions, and handle pressure.
-Staying on course with plans and taking responsibility for actions.

The OP's cry for help indicates that several of those hallmarks of psychological maturity have not been achieved. This is 24 months we're talking about! Half the length of time it takes most people to get an undergrad degree.

The OP isn't in prison. She isn't even in the Army. She is merely in a temporary place that isn't aesthetically pleasing to her and, I would assume, is causing her some challenges and discomfort. Hardly reasons to flee a task that will be over soon and will provide her with a basis for a constructive future life.
I'm working 40 hours a week, getting through a masters degree that requires a 16 hour internship component and moved away, fully independent from my parents at 21. I agree that my post may have sounded pretty whiny and I understand that can be annoying to some readers. Also, I respect and admire those who are in the army tremendously, but that is not my path.I realize I'm not living in deplorable conditions, but I just wanted to vent about feeling homesick and was wondering if people had any advice to share on how they dealt with a period of time in a place that they didn't want to be in. I got some GREAT advice that made me feel a lot better. I definitely feel a lot more at ease with the next two years and this thread helped me so much. It really wasn't my intention to whine, I just missed my parents and felt sad about leaving California. I am VERY close to my parents, but that doesn't mean that i'm not independent from them and it doesn't mean that I don't miss them and my friends terribly....

Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Be careful to pace your self, Quizilla. You could burn out, if you aren't careful.

BTW, if you drive out in the desert, keep your eyes open for road runners.

Good Luck!
Yes! I'm already wanting to retire in my 20's....

Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 AM

231 posts, read 201,781 times
If you really hate where your life then hop on a train and don't look back.

If you aren't willing to do that right now then it's not as bad as you think.

Just remember, things could always be worse.

You could be homeless and have no where to live.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 AM

107 posts, read 100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
These days, a healthy way to resolve a problem or just "vent" is to go on a message board and receive feedback. You'll get all kinds of opinions, and if you're strong enough to read through the negative ones and "take what you need and leave the rest" all the more power to you.

I think the OP is receiving her feedback in a healthy, adult manner. I'm glad the various opinions seems to have helped.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnidroid View Post
If you really hate where your life then hop on a train and don't look back.

If you aren't willing to do that right now then it's not as bad as you think.

Just remember, things could always be worse.

You could be homeless and have no where to live.
Very true!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology