Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
This really helped me put things in check, thank you so much! I agree... while Arizona is the desert and not my favorite place in the world, not EVERYONE at my 22 years of age can afford to live in California on their own, and that's ok! Once I have a masters and experience under my belt, I will have a lot better shot at doing what I want. Also, I think it's VERY important for me to remember that the move is temporary, like you said "two years....two years...two years..." and this program in the end will be worth it. I'm taking a lot of interesting classes and I have the opportunity to travel on the weekends and in the summer when I'm not swamped with homework.

I just have to keep repeating... Arizona is not hell on earth, AZ is not hell on earth.... even though in the summer it TRULY feels like it is... :P
LOL. Glad I could help.

Um, my personal mantra when I'm losing my **** is "At least I'm not in Somalia." For some reason, that seems to work.

You really do have a much better attitude than I did at your age. And I think you'll find your happy groove far sooner than I did. 22 was not a good age for me. But yes, I understand your frustration and empathize with it.

I used to think that "Wherever you go there you are" was an absolute truth, but it really isn't. Once you have dealt with your issues and taken all the necessary steps to be happy, if you are still not feeling awesome, where you live can be a huge factor. I moved away from my loved ones and my hometown in Jersey for that very reason. I was content there, but only by coming to Denver did I manage to really embrace happiness.

If you can find the clip from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that is discussed in this article, it may be a good perspective check: http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-to-pain/?_r=0

It really encapsulated a lot of my life philosophy. I just wish I could apply it to dieting, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 02:48 PM

299 posts, read 440,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
LOL. Glad I could help.

Um, my personal mantra when I'm losing my **** is "At least I'm not in Somalia." For some reason, that seems to work.

You really do have a much better attitude than I did at your age. And I think you'll find your happy groove far sooner than I did. 22 was not a good age for me. But yes, I understand your frustration and empathize with it.

I used to think that "Wherever you go there you are" was an absolute truth, but it really isn't. Once you have dealt with your issues and taken all the necessary steps to be happy, if you are still not feeling awesome, where you live can be a huge factor. I moved away from my loved ones and my hometown in Jersey for that very reason. I was content there, but only by coming to Denver did I manage to really embrace happiness.

If you can find the clip from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that is discussed in this article, it may be a good perspective check: http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-to-pain/?_r=0

It really encapsulated a lot of my life philosophy. I just wish I could apply it to dieting, lol.
I hear Denver is beautiful! That's where I'm planning to visit this summer... if CA doesn't work out, I think I would love to live there, Oregon or WA State... Green = my happiness! lol

Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
I hear Denver is beautiful! That's where I'm planning to visit this summer... if CA doesn't work out, I think I would love to live there, Oregon or WA State... Green = my happiness! lol
Denver isn't really that green. I grew up in Jersey in a wetlands area - that's some green right there! The mountains here are beautiful and it's not all brown and desert - there are entire forests around here. But it's nothing like my home state.

I miss that, but the lack of humidity here makes up for it. It's definitely not as extreme as Arizona, which is just an all around weird state imho. I can't even remember what made it seem so strange to me (this was over a decade ago). On the other hand, the moment I set foot in Denver, I felt right at home. Go figure.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 AM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
I was born and raised in western Washington state and I thought it was cool until I travelled the country and realized that it sucks worse then jail...So my wife and our three kids moved away to.....drum roll.....eastern Washington. Where the weather is actually related to the seasons and prices are lower and there is less people and you can actually breathe the air and not get sick. If you hate where you live then move, if you can't, quit complaining. Its like being in prison and complaining about it, isn't going to get you out. Just saying.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Wherever you go, there you are.

Make the best of it, appreciate the good things about it,

If it's that bad don't torture yourself, just leave.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:05 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Not always. I am currently stuck in Oklahoma City and I am trying to make the best of it, but still hate it here. Some days are worse than others, but I don't think I'll be truly happy until I can move somewhere else. For one, I am at such odds with the dominant culture here I cannot openly be myself. A person can never be happy if they cannot be their authentic self.

Quote:
Not always easy, especially when things like employment, finances, and personal responsibility come into play. It would be great to have $15,000 in cash so I could just quit my job and move to the city of my choice but I don't have that option without taking what would be a serious (and stupid) risk.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:

This is true up to a point. When I lived in Jersey, I was loved by many with an active social life, a good career and access to all sorts of cultural activities. I was unhappy for a very long time when I was younger, but at some point I just made the choice to be happy. After all, I had things to do, wonderful people in my life, etc. I achieved contentment and felt very grateful for all the wonderful things in my life. But I wasn't as happy as I thought I should be.

When I came to Denver, I just felt MORE right. Moving here was a very rational and considered decision that was made to maximize my happiness. I think when you're fundamentally unhappy, that's a different story.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
If you hate where you live then move, if you can't, quit complaining. Its like being in prison and complaining about it, isn't going to get you out. Just saying.
Not everybody has the means or the opportunity to get up and "just leave". Many would if they could.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:49 PM

168 posts, read 256,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Not always. I am currently stuck in Oklahoma City and I am trying to make the best of it, but still hate it here. Some days are worse than others, but I don't think I'll be truly happy until I can move somewhere else. For one, I am at such odds with the dominant culture here I cannot openly be myself. A person can never be happy if they cannot be their authentic self.

Not always easy, especially when things like employment, finances, and personal responsibility come into play. It would be great to have $15,000 in cash so I could just quit my job and move to the city of my choice but I don't have that option without taking what would be a serious (and stupid) risk.
This is huge and I don't think people who live somewhere more civilized understand what it is like to live in a culture that isn't just not who you are but openly hates or discriminates against various people. Some of it can even be totally petty things like what you are wearing rather than something more obvious like a protected class.

I go out of my way to avoid places where the truly horrible demographic tends to congregate. You still end up running into very aggressive, rude people who have no problem getting in your personal space or sharing their unsolicited opinions. It is exhausting when you have to be sort of on your guard all the time.

I would rather deal with big city street buskers than the aggressive nasty red staters where I live currently. Street buskers go away when you tell them to leave you alone. :-)

Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Not everybody has the means or the opportunity to get up and "just leave". Many would if they could.

People can plan for awhile and move. No, lots of people can't do it immediately, but others moan and whine for years and never do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology