Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,862,812 times

Advertisements

Good going OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So you're all effed up in the head like he is (or was). Congrats.
Yeah, I just simply write people off rather than wish ill if not harm (economic or physical.)

Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
So calling me toddler minded makes you feel superior, have you looked in the mirror.

Have you ever, ever, ever, complained about anything to anyone about anything? That's a form of revenge!

Have you ever reported a co-employee to a supervisor for anything, that's revenge.

If you are a boss, have you ever given an employee an assignment you know they would not like because of punishment? That's revenge.

Have you ever punished a child. That's revenge.

Revenge is just a reaction to counter an act or provocation that was not approved by you.

We all do it. If you don't do it then you are a victim and will always be a victim.

To the closed minded, life is as they think it should be. With an open mind and open eyes everything becomes apparent and obvious.
I really don't think you understand what the word revenge means.

There is also a significant difference between revenge and retaliation, your scenarios above are examples of retaliation, not revenge

Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,222,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Agree, isn't this a classic example of holding the coal in your hand trying to burn the person who hurt you? And 25 years ago at that? I'll praise you for your persistence...

My grandfather in law is like this. He is on his deathbed still talking about all the people who wronged him in life. Only those people don't care and probably don't even remember. It only hurts him. A sad mean old man....

The best revenge to get on a bully is success on your part. Be better and more successful than them at everything you do. Show them that they didn't affect you at all (even if they did), move on and forgive and forget.
Ah yes but that means that you do still indeed think about them. Even if you are using what they've done to you as motivation to be more successful they are still in your head and you haven't forgotten them or really forgiven them.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,215,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Have you ever, ever, ever, complained about anything to anyone about anything? That's a form of revenge! Have you ever reported a co-employee to a supervisor for anything, that's revenge. If you are a boss, have you ever given an employee an assignment you know they would not like because of punishment? That's revenge. Have you ever punished a child. That's revenge. Revenge is just a reaction to counter an act or provocation that was not approved by you. We all do it. If you don't do it then you are a victim and will always be a victim.
I agree. You are forced into one. You either do what it takes to be satisfied or you accept your lot (victim). There is no third option. Even the score or accept what happened and move on.

For those so horrified by what OP did, I'm surprised. Between the evening news, various action movies and the history of most civilizations, revenge is a well-settled universal law. Nothing shocking or surprising here.

Right or wrong, OP's behavior is not unusual and is common. Do I agree with it, I don't know. But I do know that it's not unusual or abnormal behavior. In fact, it's quite normal (look at modern society and current events).

Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I agree. You are forced into one. You either do what it takes to be satisfied or you accept your lot (victim). There is no third option. Even the score or accept what happened and move on.
Of course there is a third option: Preventing reoccurrence.

Taking steps to prevent reoccurrence (from that perpetrator or any other) is not "accept your lot (victim). "

Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Of course there is a third option: Preventing reoccurrence.

Taking steps to prevent reoccurrence (from that perpetrator or any other) is not "accept your lot (victim). "
I can respect that opinion, but I disagree. Those are essentially equivalent.

If you take steps to prevent a repeat, but don't admit or accept that you were outsmarted, victimized, etc., you will always have it in the back of your mind. It will be unresolved.

I suppose you could argue that preventing a repeat is closure enough. If that's the case, then I can't disagree with you because that would be personal to each person. One person may say it's enough just to avoid getting hurt again. Another may say it's not enough. But as a whole, it still converges on two options. I accept it or I get revenge.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I can respect that opinion, but I disagree. Those are essentially equivalent.

If you take steps to prevent a repeat, but don't admit or accept that you were outsmarted, victimized, etc., you will always have it in the back of your mind. It will be unresolved.

If you took steps to prevent a repeat, then you certainly did "admit or accept that you were outsmarted, victimized" and you made a specific decision that it shall not happen again.

Moreover, you've certainly taken a more positive action than merely taking revenge on the person who harmed you without having taken steps to prevent it from happening again by that person (counter-revenge, ad infinitum) or by the next person.

That's especially important in circumstances that revenge is impossible, such as, say, an unknown mugger or rapist who gets away or the burglar who has emptied your house while you were away on vacation.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,283,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
So basically, the OP allowed someone to live inside his head rent-free for a quarter century.
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

In no way can I justify what the OP did. But it has less to do with the means and more to do with the internalization of the ends. Even though both are problematic.

What is keeping the OP from being like his dad? What's keeping the OP from doing this to others? Sure the OP thinks there's a logical 1 to 1 cosmic moral imperative of justice here, but really by posting this online and by espousing to others that he's ok, is just irresponsible.

The OP doesn't live in a vacuum or a movie and moral codes are codes because of consistency. And as such, that is why the OP isn't Beatrix Kiddo, Lizbeth Salander or someone in a Park Chan-wook film.

-----

If the OP doesn't believe in morality whatsoever, then what happened to him is amoral and hence doesn't deserve retribution/revenge.

If the OP does believe in conventional morality, then what he did was wrong.

If the OP does believes in his own chaotic morality, then he doesn't follow conventional morality and can do this whenever and to whomever he pleases; which most would agree, would be wrong.

------

On the question of revenge and justice. Revenge probably does feel good. I've thought about it a lot. But there's feeling good, actually being good, and all of the trappings that come with revenge. That's why society dictates what justice is. Because usually the retribution, and cycle of violence stops. It may not feel the best, but it's best for the rest of us. I wouldn't want to personally be in the mind prison, feeling like I had to get revenge, it would be a drain on my soul, and I think a lot of others would agree.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you took steps to prevent a repeat, then you certainly did "admit or accept that you were outsmarted, victimized" and you made a specific decision that it shall not happen again.
Then why would you feel the need to call it a third option? You essentially agree with one of the two options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology