Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Really and what type of revenge would you have taken? Would you have come to house his house one day with a gun and shot him?
The thread title says "Revenge is awesome and provides closure."

In this particular case, the "revenge" was far less substantial than the original offense. If that's all it took to provide closure for the OP, fine. Pretty cheap, though, and even petty.

But it really doesn't set an argument that revenge is the answer to every or any offense. What, revenge, for instance, should an Afghan kid take whose entire family was wiped out by an errant American bomb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,909 times
Quote:
Really and what type of revenge would you have taken? Would you have come to house his house one day with a gun and shot him?

I was bullied when I was a kid too, and when I got out of the Army I found the guy that bullied me and beat the hell out of him. Its amazing what a little confidence can do for you.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The thread title says "Revenge is awesome and provides closure."

In this particular case, the "revenge" was far less substantial than the original offense. If that's all it took to provide closure for the OP, fine. Pretty cheap, though, and even petty.

But it really doesn't set an argument that revenge is the answer to every or any offense. What, revenge, for instance, should an Afghan kid take whose entire family was wiped out by an errant American bomb?
Yes to you it's petty but like I said it could've been worse given what this guy did to the OP.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I was bullied when I was a kid too, and when I got out of the Army I found the guy that bullied me and beat the hell out of him. Its amazing what a little confidence can do for you.
Well, that kinda makese sense to me because it was a one on one event and he saw who it was.

But what the OP did is just stupid IMO. That's not real revenge if the other person doesnt' know from whom he gets it. It was cowardly and cheap, he didn't even dare meeting him and look in his eyes. Cheap.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
I'll buy that. But was the well-deserved a$$ whupin' really "revenge"? Maybe there is a different word for what you did. Retaliation, maybe.....After all, if someone punches you in the nose and you punch back, that is not really revenge in the traditional sense.

Turning the other cheek is over-rated, too. Getting slapped on both cheeks gets a little old. Dunno for you, but I don't got but the two!

It's a blend, I guess. Vengeful people live in their own little hell. Retaliatory people seem to do OK, though, because their retaliation (like yours) is done face-to-face and the recipient knows full well who is delivering and why. And that may be good for both parties.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
OTOH, if he'd shot and killed you then, most states would have declared it self-defense.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, that kinda makese sense to me because it was a one on one event and he saw who it was.

But what the OP did is just stupid IMO. That's not real revenge if the other person doesnt' know from whom he gets it. It was cowardly and cheap, he didn't even dare meeting him and look in his eyes. Cheap.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'll buy that. But was the well-deserved a$$ whupin' really "revenge"? Maybe there is a different word for what you did. Retaliation, maybe.....After all, if someone punches you in the nose and you punch back, that is not really revenge in the traditional sense.

Turning the other cheek is over-rated, too. Getting slapped on both cheeks gets a little old. Dunno for you, but I don't got but the two!

It's a blend, I guess. Vengeful people live in their own little hell. Retaliatory people seem to do OK, though, because their retaliation (like yours) is done face-to-face and the recipient knows full well who is delivering and why. And that may be good for both parties.
I'll agree with this too, but really putting a label on it is just playing semantics IMO.. Retaliation / Revenge = 6 or 3+3.. At the end of the day its done.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, if he'd shot and killed you then, most states would have declared it self-defense.
Yeah, its better to just choke on it for the rest of your life.. Tell yourself how you're a "better person," and how you refuse to stoop to his level and all that happy horseshiit.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
It's funny how the tone of this thread has changed from "taking revenge is wrong", to "that's not real revenge".

Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
It's funny how the tone of this thread has changed from "taking revenge is wrong", to "that's not real revenge".
Well, it isn't! Revenge is synonym to EYE ON EYE.

Not plotting something from far away which angers the other person a little but he doesn't know why stuff happens to him. It is not real revenge IMO. OP is a coward. At least be a MAN and stand behind the transsexual and say "THATS WHAT YOU GET!" or the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology