Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:32 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,703 times

Advertisements

I'm the same. I can think kids and babies are cute, but I don't gush over them. Babies and Kids I just never got excited about -though some are very cute.

But cute animals, I love. Maybe because they just seem more clueless about what's going on, more innocent almost. And they usually stay that way lol The babies grow up, and they don't always stay cute and sweet. lol And animals whimpering is better than babies screeching.

But I have had my feel of pets these years too. Still LOVE animals, but no longer want the responsibility of pets. Last pets I had were 2 fish. They died in 2015, I was crushed. Those were the last for me.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-09-2016 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 12:13 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Both are super adorable

I don't know how anyone can not find babies adorable, one must be soulless to be like that

Old 12-10-2016, 12:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,480 times
I adore little babies and little puppies.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,118 times
As a non-parent dog owner, I have a more visceral reaction to puppies than babies. I'm kind of terrified of babies, and I suppose I can hyper-analyze the reasons why, but practically speaking this just means that I make polite comments when people show me photos of their kids, congratulate them when they have babies (I come from a traditional, Catholic background so large families are the expected norm), and then avoid holding or touching them at all costs.

As a dog owner, there are definitely significant unpleasantries and respnsibilities associated with keeping a puppy, but one thing that I appreciated was that the 'infant' phase with a dog is so much shorter than a human. Yes, the whole house-training thing was annoying, but in the long run it took a matter of months instead of years and the overall responsibility of dog ownership pales in comparison to that of parenthood. It is possible that these assumptions/understandings on my part contribute to my visceral reaction when seeing a photo of an infant. The brain associates this instinctively with unpleasant things (smell, noise, etc) as well as long-term implications of 18+ years of significant responsibility, which cumulatively trigger a negative reaction not seen with the puppy.

Incidentally, I would say that my pre-dog ownership reaction to a puppy was a stronger 'Awww' sensation than post, simply because I have a better understanding of the actual responsibility involved in caring for another creature.

Trying to be as honest as possible here.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
As a non-parent dog owner, I have a more visceral reaction to puppies than babies. I'm kind of terrified of babies, and I suppose I can hyper-analyze the reasons why, but practically speaking this just means that I make polite comments when people show me photos of their kids, congratulate them when they have babies (I come from a traditional, Catholic background so large families are the expected norm), and then avoid holding or touching them at all costs.

As a dog owner, there are definitely significant unpleasantries and respnsibilities associated with keeping a puppy, but one thing that I appreciated was that the 'infant' phase with a dog is so much shorter than a human. Yes, the whole house-training thing was annoying, but in the long run it took a matter of months instead of years and the overall responsibility of dog ownership pales in comparison to that of parenthood. It is possible that these assumptions/understandings on my part contribute to my visceral reaction when seeing a photo of an infant. The brain associates this instinctively with unpleasant things (smell, noise, etc) as well as long-term implications of 18+ years of significant responsibility, which cumulatively trigger a negative reaction not seen with the puppy.

Incidentally, I would say that my pre-dog ownership reaction to a puppy was a stronger 'Awww' sensation than post, simply because I have a better understanding of the actual responsibility involved in caring for another creature.

Trying to be as honest as possible here.
Before I had children of my own I never cared for kids. There are plenty of people who love their own kids and are indifferent to other children. You will never know this unless you have kids of your own.

I think many childless dog owners are like you. They want to experience love with little responsibility. When I read the posts the number one reason to prefer a dog is always ME, ME, ME and less responsibility or commitment. At the end the dog is a surrogate child.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

I don't know how anyone can not find babies adorable, one must be soulless to be like that
Seriously not all babies are cute/adorable and it is not soulless. It's a fact.

And from baby's own parents:
Parents Reveal the Moment They Realized Their Baby Was Ugly - Unattractive Kids

Old 12-10-2016, 07:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Both are super adorable

Babies make too much noise and once you have one you can't get rid of it, unless you want to get the Hitler treatment. At least with a dog, people won't look at you super side-eyed if you can't take care of one and make sure it goes to someone who can take care of it.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I love them both IF the baby is actually good looking. A lot of them are very ugly lol.

Some puppies are homely too, but 9 times out of 10, I have more AWE factor over puppies than babies.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:07 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I have little reaction to babies but puppies...

Have you ever noticed the reaction some women have towards baby clothes? Do an experiment. Show them baby sneakers. Their voice immediately gets really high and they say, "oooooooohhhhh! that is SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!! It's so tiny!"

Maybe it is some sort of instinctual response.

To me, they are sneakers.
I have to admit I feel that way about clothes, tiny little purses,tiny little bikinis, etc for my 3 year old grand-niece. I have to cover my eyes when I walk past the little girls' clothes department because I want to buy everything...I have to stop myself because otherwise I would buy her way more stuff than I do the boys, only because the stuff for little girls is so cute.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I love them both IF the baby is actually good looking. A lot of them are very ugly lol.

Some puppies are homely too, but 9 times out of 10, I have more AWE factor over puppies than babies.
I think part of it also is that babies aren't generally as warm to strangers as puppies...you can go up to a puppy you've never met and he will be thrilled if you hold him and will cover you with kisses on sight, while a human baby you've never met won't be as thrilled to passed off among strangers so it's not as much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology