Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Using language like that will certainly cause a lot of blowback.

I wouldn't hold a medically assisted suicide "against" someone who is terminally ill and can expect to go through a lot of pain and suffering.

My best friend committed suicide back in 2013 at the age of 27. He had a lot of documented mental health, legal, and substance abuse issues. I think he probably always had a tendency toward mental illness, the drugs "activated" that tendency, and then the legal issues came after that. There were several attempts at suicide before he died.

Was it a "cowardly" act? I don't know if I would use that language, but it was certainly a very hurtful act. It utterly destroyed his mother and sole living grandmother. He was gay, but had dated a woman for years in the past and she was devastated. I saw him the day before he died. Nothing was different than it was. I don't think I missed any "signs." There's always second-guessing, but sometimes I don't think anything can be done.
The people who are left are often devastated and may never get over it.

No one can stop someone Hell bent on suicide, so know that you could not have done anything to prevent your friend from exiting in this violent way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The people who are left are often devastated and may never get over it.

No one can stop someone Hell bent on suicide, so know that you could not have done anything to prevent your friend from exiting in this violent way.

Absolutely. In about 1968, I was seriously dating a girl, and one day she came home, pulled her car into the basement garage, and found her dad hanging from a rafter. He had killed himself by wrapping a rope around his neck and jumping off a chair. She has never been the same since, and became so depressed over it that it totally ruined her life. She always blamed herself for not seeing any signs that he would do something like that.

That is why I said suicide is a very selfish act. It may end the suffering of the person who does it, but the pain just begins for everyone else, and lasts the rest of their life.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
At least he didn’t come up with some melodramatic, Benatar-like, antinatalist statement that could inspire pseudo-martyr ideation in unstable minds.

You know; like a statement that could seem to normalize suicide? Validate suicide? De-stigmatize suicide?

I mean, okay; everyone must be SO much cooler than I am but I'm just trying to figure out how it only took a couple of the only generations in history that didn’t have to fight for their lives; before everybody forgot why they should.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
At least he didn’t come up with some melodramatic, Benatar-like, antinatalist statement that could inspire pseudo-martyr ideation in unstable minds.

You know; like a statement that could seem to normalize suicide? Validate suicide? De-stigmatize suicide?

I mean, okay; everyone must be SO much cooler than I am but I'm just trying to figure out how it only took a couple of the only generations in history that didn’t have to fight for their lives; before everybody forgot why they should.
Pretty sure suicide has been around a lot longer than the past 2 generations. I'm also pretty sure that life isn't about a fight, or at least it shouldn't be. If someone gives up, have some GD empathy and compassion rather than judgement and scorn.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Totally agree with you.

Life has always been hard. In the past, and in other cultures (other than Western), life can be excruciatingly hard. Should all of those people have "exercised their rights" to off themselves?

What do these pro-suicide people tell their kids (if they are raising kids)? Do they say, "Life will get hard, and bad things may happen - and when that happens, a good idea is to "off" yourself."

It's gotten to the point of the ridiculous - and you can see that on this thread, a good 85% of people think suicide is a valid option. It is mind-boggling.

What happened to the idea that "life is sacred." And that life is painful, but "suffering" is optional.

How about when people become depressed that they do something about it.

The Dalai Lama says we should "Help others - and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." (Paraphrased.)

Old 01-09-2019, 05:31 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
Quote:
Totally agree with you.

Life has always been hard. In the past, and in other cultures (other than Western), life can be excruciatingly hard. Should all of those people have "exercised their rights" to off themselves?

What do these pro-suicide people tell their kids (if they are raising kids)? Do they say, "Life will get hard, and bad things may happen - and when that happens, a good idea is to "off" yourself."

It's gotten to the point of the ridiculous - and you can see that on this thread, a good 85% of people think suicide is a valid option. It is mind-boggling.

What happened to the idea that "life is sacred." And that life is painful, but "suffering" is optional.

The Dalai Lama says we should "Help others - and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." (Paraphrased.)
This is your pov being applied to everyone else. Some people curse that they were born, but since you aren't in that boat you can't comprehend. You are way too judgmental to get over yourself and understand what empathy is. Quite frankly, your posts disgust me.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:49 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Absolutely. In about 1968, I was seriously dating a girl, and one day she came home, pulled her car into the basement garage, and found her dad hanging from a rafter. He had killed himself by wrapping a rope around his neck and jumping off a chair.

She has never been the same since, and became so depressed over it that it totally ruined her life. She always blamed herself for not seeing any signs that he would do something like that.

That is why I said suicide is a very selfish act. It may end the suffering of the person who does it, but the pain just begins for everyone else, and lasts the rest of their life.

God bless you for this post. Reading this kind of thing helps me realize - I must forgive myself for so many reasons. No, I'm not to blame for my husband's suicide but I get so angry because I think I should be doing better. I should be progressing faster.

You just can't imagine the emotional carnage this kind of thing leaves behind unless you've experienced it. Psychiatrists say that the stress is on par with being a concentration camp survivor. You're never quite the same again, and if you reach a point where you can *pretend* to be normal, you're doing better than most.

I'm pedaling as fast as I can to get through this, but I know - in my heart - that the old Rosemary died the day he put that Glock in his mouth. The new Rosemary hasn't emerged yet.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We're talking about people who kill themselves, not suicide bombers or people who do a murder/suicide. Those folks are evil. We're talking about people that for whatever matter can no longer take the pain of life and do away with themselves and only themselves. Suicide bombers are an entirely different matter.

You obviously did not watch the clip.

The actor was comparing suicide bombers to suicides. His point being, the closer you are to the one who kills himself, the greater the damage.

You should read some of this stuff before you comment.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I agree in most cases it's a very selfish act. But some people just do not care about their loved ones and how they are going to cope afterwards. They think things will blow over quick and the image of you being hanged and found by your children will soon be forgotten.

Some suicidal people cannot comprehend the ongoing pain of those close by they affected.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
Quote:
Totally agree with you.

Great post. It baffles my mind how many people seem to normalize suicide these days.. The professor could have been more tactful in his wording, but I can see his point.. Should he have just told his students that when life gets too hard, they should just off themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology