Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times

Advertisements

https://channelingerik.com/the-akash...s-and-suicide/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
You folks who think suicide is a coward's way out, please do me one favor. You are free to your opinion even if I think it is totally wrong and dangerous. But please do this. If you know anyone and care for anyone who comes to you saying they are depressed and suicidal, please don't tell them it is cowardly of them to feel that way, even if you think you are only trying to talk them out of suicide. I can tell you from personal experience that it will come off as victim shaming. I don't even know you folks, and it still triggers me.

It's not selfish either. Suicidal people are convinced they are doing those around them a favor by taking themselves out of the mix. I was sure folks would easily get over my death and would move on without me. I was basically going to take myself out of the equation for them. It was a win-win in my mind. I got to leave this world and they got to move on from me.

Suicidal people already take everything around them internally. They turn everything around so that they are too blame. Telling them they are selfish or cowardly only makes them believe more and more that they should end their lifes. I know it is hard to be around someone with suicide on their mind. I've been around me for four years now with it on my mind. There's been good days and bad days. A good day is when I can go a few hours without the thought of suicide on my mind. A good day will be me thinking about how I might, at some point in the future, end my life. A bad day is me actively planning my own death for that day.

There are all kinds of places on-line to get tips for dealing with loved ones who are suicidal. The best one might be the Suicide Lifeline.

Website -- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Hptline -- 1-800-273-8255
Text -- 741741 (To get the conversation started, text "Hello.")
Facebook -- Crisis Text Line (You can message them through Facebook.)

The Mighty is a good resource as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Not sure who is going to click on a link if you can't even be bothered to give us a few words on what we might find there.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In the context of a college professor teaching a course in psychology I'd say that was inappropriate. He/she is entitled to a personal opinion but comments made in class should be objective and based on empirical evidence. Multiple perspectives can be discussed in terms of theory - but personal opinions unrelated to research are out of place.

This was not a class in theology, philosophy, etc.
I agree.

OP....Your Professor's judgmental comment is a good lesson for a young person to show that credentials and degrees do not always insure intelligence. Continue to develop your own critical thinking skills....which you obviously are doing.

College is a place where challenging your professor is acceptable imo. Perhaps you should challenge his opinion.

Last edited by JanND; 01-09-2019 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-09-2019, 05:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Of course it is our right. If we don't have the right to end our own lives, then wtf rights do we have?

An interesting point.....from both sides.

From the side of Western Government, our rights are God Given...........

................but...............

If our rights are God given but in those God given rights, we do not have the right to seek self salvation, well then..............................

Old 01-09-2019, 07:26 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,875,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You folks who think suicide is a coward's way out, please do me one favor. You are free to your opinion even if I think it is totally wrong and dangerous. But please do this. If you know anyone and care for anyone who comes to you saying they are depressed and suicidal, please don't tell them it is cowardly of them to feel that way, even if you think you are only trying to talk them out of suicide. I can tell you from personal experience that it will come off as victim shaming. I don't even know you folks, and it still triggers me.

It's not selfish either. Suicidal people are convinced they are doing those around them a favor by taking themselves out of the mix. I was sure folks would easily get over my death and would move on without me. I was basically going to take myself out of the equation for them. It was a win-win in my mind. I got to leave this world and they got to move on from me.

Suicidal people already take everything around them internally. They turn everything around so that they are too blame. Telling them they are selfish or cowardly only makes them believe more and more that they should end their lifes. I know it is hard to be around someone with suicide on their mind. I've been around me for four years now with it on my mind. There's been good days and bad days. A good day is when I can go a few hours without the thought of suicide on my mind. A good day will be me thinking about how I might, at some point in the future, end my life. A bad day is me actively planning my own death for that day.

There are all kinds of places on-line to get tips for dealing with loved ones who are suicidal. The best one might be the Suicide Lifeline.

Website -- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Hptline -- 1-800-273-8255
Text -- 741741 (To get the conversation started, text "Hello.")
Facebook -- Crisis Text Line (You can message them through Facebook.)

The Mighty is a good resource as well.
As someone who's been there myself I have to say you nailed it. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:55 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If he said "this is my opinion," then I don't see any problem with it.

Would you rather he said: suicide is your "right" and you should seriously consider it whenever you are in emotional pain or feel frustrated or hopeless?

I can't believe how many people think suicide is "their right," and don't give a damn who they hurt or who has to clean up their messes.

I think that anyone who is in enough emotional, physical or psychic pain to consider suicide doesn't give a damn what you think.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
I'd like to sit and have a talk with this "psychology professor". First off, he has shown a lot of ignorance.

I am someone that has attempted suicide and that was because I was going through a lot of stuff and I saw that it was going to get worse. One thing that prompted me to attempt suicide was that I thought I was going to be pushed past the point where I was going to be...oh God forbid. A murderer. And I didn't want to get pushed to that point. So I figured it was better for me to kill myself than someone else.

So I attempted suicide to save the life of someone who would finally push me over the edge. And it might've been that professor. But that didn't happen. It's been ten years since my suicide attempt and I haven't "snapped" but I still have days when I wonder.

This was really hard to write, but...

Maybe some people have that moment of clarity where they realize that they are a danger and they don't want to be.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You probably are the only one. Suicide is not only a cowardly act, but a very selfish act. The person doesn't think at all what his/her act will do to all the people they leave behind.
Yeah, homicide is less selfish, eh?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I'd like to sit and have a talk with this "psychology professor". First off, he has shown a lot of ignorance.

I am someone that has attempted suicide and that was because I was going through a lot of stuff and I saw that it was going to get worse. One thing that prompted me to attempt suicide was that I thought I was going to be pushed past the point where I was going to be...oh God forbid. A murderer. And I didn't want to get pushed to that point. So I figured it was better for me to kill myself than someone else.

So I attempted suicide to save the life of someone who would finally push me over the edge. And it might've been that professor. But that didn't happen. It's been ten years since my suicide attempt and I haven't "snapped" but I still have days when I wonder.

This was really hard to write, but...

Maybe some people have that moment of clarity where they realize that they are a danger and they don't want to be.

WE-LL, that is one of the considerations into why an unknown serial killer stopped......that they realized what they were doing and stopped themselves permanently. Of course, there are many considerations in that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology