Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:15 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I don't judge those who commit suicide. I figure most people who commit suicide have reached the point where they are in such psychological pain -- and sometimes physical pain -- that death seems like the right option. They aren't trying to hurt anyone; they are trying to relieve their own pain. And/or they think the rest of the world would be better off if they were dead.

A close family member committed suicide. I know the effects suicide has on a family. But I don't blame him or judge him or think he was a "coward" or any of that. I grieve him and wish he were still alive. That's all.
Same here. Sister at 18. Your words are exactly right.

How dare anyone judge another's pain and suffering. That professor is a heartless bastard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I can see both sides. I do believe that some people commit suicide for very good reasons, but sometimes I think some people are just not mentally strong enough to cope with their problems, and in those cases, I think those people are weak, but not necessarily cowards. (I do make exception for murderers who then take their own lives rather than face the consequences; I think those people ARE cowards in addition to being human scum.)

For people who are truly mentally ill, though, I don't think they can or should be blamed at all for committing suicide.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-07-2019 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
To me, living isn't an act of bravery. We're biological wired to survive and avoid death at all cost. If anything, suicide is a giant middle finger to hundreds of years of human evolution. One could say it's a true act of free will, but I'm still debating with myself on this.

Regardless, your professor sounds ignorant. I hope someone close to him never has suicidal ideation. He's the last person to go to for support.
I agree. Muddling through life, depressed and waiting for old age to kill you is not bravery, it's just a decision one makes because that's what they are wired to do. When I'm at a tall height looking down, I honestly can't fathom having the guts to jump like many suicides do. I also think it takes courage to put a gun to your head a pull the trigger, I could never do that either - what if I didn't die but ended up lying there in agony for hours? Then there's the whole thing about going to hell - it's unlikely, but what if it's true? no way to find out for sure until after you've done it.
I don't see suicides as cowards at all, in fact it's too bad so many of these suicidal mass murderers didn't have the guts to do it before their shooting sprees. I think they are truly worthy of the label cowards, because they kill unarmed people.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
dumbfounded? I would not having any respect for him/her anymore.

I think suicide occurs when one has run out of resources to cope.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
If he threw that blanket - "cowards" - over all suicides without regard to their circumstances and motivation he is a jerk who shouldn't teaching.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
I hope this professor isn’t a practicing psychologist or psychiatrist. The reason for suicide is varied and each should be judged individually and objectively.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
By the definition of the word, they are cowards.

cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
Actually, it's the opposite,
They are willing to do what most people would be afraid to do

Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
By the definition of the word, they are cowards.

cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
Suicide is a dangerous and unpleasant thing, therefore by this definition it is not being a coward.

Is being bullied to the point of suicide lacking courage? Is being terminally ill to the point of suicide lacking courage? The professor sounds like an ignoramus because it seems no stock is put into the dynamic of the persons brain. Chemical imbalance? Any sort of neurological misfire? Such comments to me shows the lack of knowledge and no admittance of the unknown of the brain when it goes awry. Mass murders just have a different way to communicate their imbalance putting harm to others before themselves. Who knows? Maybe suicide to those who commit it could be deemed courageous as it could be protecting harm to others?

Bottom line is does anyone really know what a troubled mind is?

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-07-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
If I were the op, I'd visit his office and have a debate with him on this. After I got my grade, of course - since we already know he's an a$$hole, he's probably the type to give a crap grade to those who disagree with him. I might even have a conversation with the dean about how innapropriate and appallingly insensitive (not to mention totally untrue) I found such a comment. I have had a couple friends and a relative die by suicide, and some jackass telling me they are cowards would cause me to stand up and walk the f out of that classroom.

Last edited by duke944; 01-07-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Where did this happen, OP? Many US universities aren't back from winter break yet, and most college professors have had enough diversity training that they would know better than to make that kind of blanket statement in class. If this is true, it's highly unprofessional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology