Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 06:42 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

If he said "this is my opinion," then I don't see any problem with it.

Would you rather he said: suicide is your "right" and you should seriously consider it whenever you are in emotional pain or feel frustrated or hopeless?

I can't believe how many people think suicide is "their right," and don't give a damn who they hurt or who has to clean up their messes.
Well, it is a problem because a person who kills themselves because life has gotten unbearable, is not a coward. Sometimes it's the ultimate act of self-rescue.

Certain forms of severe depression that don't respond to treatment, but torture a person every waking hour, agonizing physical pain, a health condition that is going to result in a horrible painful death - those are circumstances you would expect a psychology professor to be familiar with.

BTW, suicide isn't always messy. Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade hung themselves on a door knob, leaning forward while sitting. Evidently, it results in the person passing out almost immediately and dying within minutes. I have a harder time understanding the gun method in comparison to that.

Anyway . . . Until someone has been there, they have no basis to judge what is unbearable for another person.

Suicide is a right. If we don't have autonomy over our own lives, then we have nothing. A person who loves you wouldn't be so selfish as to demand you LIVE for them, even though living is unbearable.

Everyone has a limit. Even YOU. You just haven't met your limit yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

Of course it is our right. If we don't have the right to end our own lives, then wtf rights do we have?
Exactly. I can't imagine anything more horrifying than to be forced to live in some form of agony.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
I'm not sure I can think lower of those who judge suicides harshly, they are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to empathizing. Quite frankly, they make me sick.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,308 times
Default Suicide is painless

What stopped me was thinking about who would be left behind. I woke up and decided to talk hold of my destiny. Found someone to love who loves me and now we exist together forever. Sometimes you have to make peace with yourself and a shrink is not much help. A psych teacher means he can read a class schedule and knows the dialect.
I have no use for the shrinks that do not read your file. I have many years of documented care by the VA and the people I meet the first time is when I ask, "Have you read my file?". If not, I leave.
They have book learning with pat questions and they expect pat answers. When you mess with their head they call your attitude out as why they can't do anything.
The goto fix is pharmaceuticals. Like all mental institutions, they drug the residents to make them easy to deal with. I would watch in the morning and the drugs had worn off. Then the pushers brought the drugs and the personalities of those around me would change. I didn't eat the drugs. The army taught me better than to let them feed me stuff. On our job in 1969, we used to steal morphine out of the first aid kits. Sometimes the pain needs a remedy. Oh, well, It's a long, long story. I have lived several lives and some of it is not pretty and good.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
This OP has never responded. Obviously not truly concerned.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitdan View Post
What stopped me was thinking about who would be left behind. I woke up and decided to talk hold of my destiny. Found someone to love who loves me and now we exist together forever. Sometimes you have to make peace with yourself and a shrink is not much help. A psych teacher means he can read a class schedule and knows the dialect.
I have no use for the shrinks that do not read your file. I have many years of documented care by the VA and the people I meet the first time is when I ask, "Have you read my file?". If not, I leave.
They have book learning with pat questions and they expect pat answers. When you mess with their head they call your attitude out as why they can't do anything.
The goto fix is pharmaceuticals. Like all mental institutions, they drug the residents to make them easy to deal with. I would watch in the morning and the drugs had worn off. Then the pushers brought the drugs and the personalities of those around me would change. I didn't eat the drugs. The army taught me better than to let them feed me stuff. On our job in 1969, we used to steal morphine out of the first aid kits. Sometimes the pain needs a remedy. Oh, well, It's a long, long story. I have lived several lives and some of it is not pretty and good.

If I didn't have my bi-polar meds I would be in jail or dead.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

If I didn't have my bi-polar meds I would be in jail or dead.
I know a doctor who had a son who was bi-polar along with other terrible illnesses. He had a variety of bi-polar where severe depression was his normal state, and the manic happy episodes were short and fleeting.

Since the mother was a doctor, she got him the best therapy and medication that money could buy. She exhausted herself trying to help him. Even though she and her husband tried everything available, the meds just didn't work on his severe depression, and he finally killed himself.

After his death, he came to his father in a dream. His father asked why he killed himself. He made his father feel the deep well of despair that he had felt when he was alive, and said it was because he had felt like that all the time. Then, he made his father feel pure joy and said, that is what he feels like now.

He thanked his parents for all they did, but said that he couldn't live in that condition.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If he said "this is my opinion," then I don't see any problem with it.

Would you rather he said: suicide is your "right" and you should seriously consider it whenever you are in emotional pain or feel frustrated or hopeless?

I can't believe how many people think suicide is "their right," and don't give a damn who they hurt or who has to clean up their messes.
Why weren't you helping them before it got to the point where they felt suicidal?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Two psychologists discuss suicide afterlife and related issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESRTZrTBGLU

Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why weren't you helping them before it got to the point where they felt suicidal?
Totally ridiculous.

1) You don't know me or what I have done or not done.
2) Every person is responsible for their lives. It is no one else's "job" to save others - nor can you in the big picture (you can do things that might be helpful, but we alone can save no one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology