Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I've heard it referred to that way.

I had a coworker who used to say it was the coward's way out, because instead of dealing with your problems you leave them PLUS the tragedy of your death for your loved ones to handle.
I've heard similar stories like this. I'm kinda torn on this issue.

I'm not as harsh about it but there is an element of selfishness but I also get that people in that state of mind aren't rational players really. IDK.

I'm kind of vacillating a bit on this one.

Knew a kid back in HS that killed himself with a gun. I couldn't imagine the horror that the parents went through upon finding that.

I literally couldn't imagine it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 02:35 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I had a coworker who used to say it was the coward's way out, because instead of dealing with your problems you leave them PLUS the tragedy of your death for your loved ones to handle.
The word for that is "selfish"

Old 01-07-2019, 02:38 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,844,611 times
I really don't care either way whether they are cowards or not or if the professor stated they are cowards. The only thing I have to add is that almost everyone I have known with a psychology degree is a bit of a nut job and typically have some of the most screwed up kids. With that said, I really don't think psychologists should be judging anyone else. lol

Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I really don't care either way whether they are cowards or not or if the professor stated they are cowards. The only thing I have to add is that almost everyone I have known with a psychology degree is a bit of a nut job and typically have some of the most screwed up kids. With that said, I really don't think psychologists should be judging anyone else. lol
I too have found that often those who go into this profession do so to figure out why they themselves are so f'd up.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Frankly, it's terrifying that a mental health professional said this. People who are suicidal are generally suffering greatly and do not see an end to that suffering. It is a horrible situation to be in. I was at the point where I had planned my own suicide (rather rationally and methodically) so that I had a course of action if what was wrong could not be fixed. Then I set about trying to fix the way I felt - I was successful, but it was a very scary time while I was trying to right myself.

The fact that a presumable PhD demonstrated this level of ignorance and lack of empathy is alarming. I would make a complaint to the department head, frankly.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?

Speaking as the wife of a man who put a Glock in his mouth, I'd say your professor is exactly right. Thing is, there are many different reasons as to why people end their own lives.

But in some cases, hell yes. My husband's was a "revenge suicide." They're rare (about 10% of suicides) but they're the worst. He left behind a note blaming me.

I'm in the process now - three years later - of trying to sort through his sh*t one more time and get it out of my life. Must be nice to just sit in a chair and blow out your brains and let your wife clean up your mess, literally and figuratively.

So yes, I'd say - in my husband's case - he was a mean-spirited, self-absorbed coward. And I bet that your professor had a relative who was like my husband.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
This is the very best description I've ever seen of the damage inflicted by suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkDFO7WTW4

James Spader describes seeing a suicide bomber and the damage that it inflicts, and explains, as an allegory, how that relates to committing suicide:

"There was almost nothing left of the people closest to him. The closer they were to the bomber, the more horrible the effect. That's EVERY suicide. Every single one. An act of terror perpetrated against everyone who has ever known them, or ever loved them. The people closest to you, the ones that cherished you, are are ones that suffer the most damage and the most pain."

Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:

You probably are the only one. Suicide is not only a cowardly act, but a very selfish act. The person doesn't think at all what his/her act will do to all the people they leave behind.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Frankly I'm surprised that there is little recognition that psychology is a scientific discipline - and that applies not only to the clinical aspects but also to social, development, cognitive, perceptual, etc. sub-disciplines.

This is not a class to be taught from opinions or personal ideas - the instructor is there to discuss the SCIENCE behind every single topic on the syllabus. I frankly don't care what his opinion is on anything - if I'm paying tuition then I want to understand the research behind everything.

I don't sit in a psychology class to get all touchy feely - well, maybe if it's a psych of adjustment course. Besides being very callous in his stated opinion he apparently didn't back it up with anything. If that's how he teaches the rest of his class I'd want my money back.

Is suicide cowardly? Selfish? Selfless? A relief to many, including some of those left behind? Irrational? Rational? There are many perspectives - a student should be exposed to all of them...

Old 01-07-2019, 08:17 PM

69 posts, read 32,400 times
Quote:

Maybe the professor was needing to prevent their own suicide by saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology