Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
The professor should not be teaching.

I myself have attempted suicide more than once. I don't like to talk about it because of being judged as a coward. I struggle with pain everyday that makes my life unbearable because there is no relief in sight. I am brave for continuing to survive but their are times that willpower is totally hopeless.

Suicide is not about giving up. For me it's about wanting the pain to stop, not about dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Suicide bombers cowards? Crazy but not cowards. It takes a lot of courage to take your life. Look, I though seriously about suicide after I broke my arm and wrist. Those oxycodone put me in a severe chemical depression and the pain even with the drugs was a nightmare. I had CRPS and spent months on heavy duty meds. They mess with your mind big time. One of the reasons I didn't kill myself was because I was a coward. I couldn't do it. Suicide is a decision that comes from the depth of your soul. It's not an easy decision and it takes a huge amount of courage to do it. Nobody likes pain and you know it's going to hurt to kill yourself. I know some one who hung himself. Yikes.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That's B.S. You're saying that it would be someone else's fault if someone commits suicide? Talk about playing the victim.

Every person is responsible for themselves.

Just cuz "bad stuff" happens - or something you don't like - doesn't "give you the right" to take your own life in retaliation. That is passive-aggressiveness at its very worst. It's horrible. There is nothing that could excuse it.

If you must escape from life, go to a state where it's legal and they drug you to death so no one has to find a grisly scene.
You must not be married. Either partner is put in a legal position to destroy the other, financially and otherwise. Like I said I have no facts to base any sort of opinion in this case, but to just make a blanket statement that every person is responsible for themselves - that's really ignorant.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Frankly, it's terrifying that a mental health professional said this
. People who are suicidal are generally suffering greatly and do not see an end to that suffering. It is a horrible situation to be in. I was at the point where I had planned my own suicide (rather rationally and methodically) so that I had a course of action if what was wrong could not be fixed. Then I set about trying to fix the way I felt - I was successful, but it was a very scary time while I was trying to right myself.

The fact that a presumable PhD demonstrated this level of ignorance and lack of empathy is alarming. I would make a complaint to the department head, frankly.
A psychology professor is not necessarily a "mental health professional" - not at all.

This professor may never have practiced as a psychologist in a mental health setting. He may never have done counseling.

He may also have specialized in research psychology - where research is carried out, not where counseling is done.

A research psychologist conducts experiments in a lab exploring the cause and effect of human behavior, physiology, and psychology. They rely heavily upon test results, surveys, questionnaires, and observations.

He, of course, should not have commented that suicide is done by cowards.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:35 PM

12,344 posts, read 2,973,506 times
You know it's possible this professor was well-meaning and trying to discourage students from suicide.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:41 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Never mind sensibilities, the guy's an idiot, suicide, arguably the ultimate act of self agency can obviously be brave.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
I'm pretty sure what he meant was that it is suicide is a cowardly act because one doesn't want to face life or seek psychological help in life or face that life can be difficult or face failures.

(I doubt he was speaking about anyone in intense physical pain)

The psychologist certainly should not have stated it though.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
If he said "this is my opinion," then I don't see any problem with it.

Would you rather he said: suicide is your "right" and you should seriously consider it whenever you are in emotional pain or feel frustrated or hopeless?

I can't believe how many people think suicide is "their right," and don't give a damn who they hurt or who has to clean up their messes.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Yes there are plenty of situations where someone is in severe depression or debilitating pain. However, I think there are quite a few suicides by people who look at life on a cost to benefit analysis and without emotion, decide to pull the trigger (so to speak).
Let's face it, we are all going to die - there is no avoiding it. Bill Gates with all his billions cannot escape this fact. For men, the vast majority will die before they see 90 years old. So, someone who is in their 50s for example (the age group with the highest % of suicides) says to themselves "I can end this now, or continue this life I'm not enjoying at the present time which is only going to entropy from here into old age, and die in a retirement home."
Whatever the reason, I don't judge anyone who makes the decision - even those who are teenagers or those who leave behind loved ones. I view the right to exit this life as absolute. Yes, it can be emotionally and/or financially damaging to those they leave behind (if they happen to have any), but this is just a part of life - nobody has the right to guilt someone into living a life they don't want.
I agree 100%.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:37 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If he said "this is my opinion," then I don't see any problem with it.

Would you rather he said: suicide is your "right" and you should seriously consider it whenever you are in emotional pain or feel frustrated or hopeless?

I can't believe how many people think suicide is "their right," and don't give a damn who they hurt or who has to clean up their messes.
Of course it is our right. If we don't have the right to end our own lives, then wtf rights do we have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology