Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM

69 posts, read 32,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You probably are the only one. Suicide is not only a cowardly act, but a very selfish act. The person doesn't think at all what his/her act will do to all the people they leave behind.

Possibly if a person commits suicide, they never had an indication that anyone cared about them. But it is also likely they haven't been told all their options, like cannabis (which is still illegal in some places) proving itself to be the best anti-depressant for many. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I too have found that often those who go into this profession do so to figure out why they themselves are so f'd up.

I had a psychology professor who said some of us go into this profession to learn more about themselves. So a person doesn't have to know everything to be a "professional". Maybe they aren't all truly f'd up, but just imperfect like everyone else. Best wishes.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Speaking as the wife of a man who put a Glock in his mouth, I'd say your professor is exactly right. Thing is, there are many different reasons as to why people end their own lives.

But in some cases, hell yes. My husband's was a "revenge suicide." They're rare (about 10% of suicides) but they're the worst. He left behind a note blaming me.

I'm in the process now - three years later - of trying to sort through his sh*t one more time and get it out of my life. Must be nice to just sit in a chair and blow out your brains and let your wife clean up your mess, literally and figuratively.

So yes, I'd say - in my husband's case - he was a mean-spirited, self-absorbed coward. And I bet that your professor had a relative who was like my husband.

I assume divorce is legal in your state? If so, I assume that would've hurt you less? My condolences.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 PM

323 posts, read 219,334 times
Well your professor is an a$$. It's not a coward that kill themself. They are angry, hurting, misunderstood

Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You probably are the only one. Suicide is not only a cowardly act, but a very selfish act. The person doesn't think at all what his/her act will do to all the people they leave behind.

Did the person have any friends? Did their family just pick on them or ignore them? Were they in extreme poverty, and had some condition that prevented them from working? Were they on anti-depressants that carry the warning that they may be more likely to cause suicide? Were they denied medical cannabis, which generally works better? Maybe there is more than one person to blame, but I agree with you suicide is bad.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I believe suicide is murder.
Why?

Quote:
I understand that the current mainstream thinking is that suicide is "fine," and no one should be shamed for doing it - it's a very pro-suicide environment.
This is absolute rubbish. Anti-stigmatization is not "pro-suicide". It doesn't make it "fine". These OK/Not OK arguments always make their way into these discussions and it serves no one but those looking for an excuse for moral outrage/superiority.

Quote:
But the major religions are not "for" it - and even in metaphysical studies, Delores Cannon talks about the ill-effects on the people who do it in the afterlife (it's on YouTube for anyone interested).
There are videos of the afterlife on YouTube?

Quote:
It is not a solution, if you understand the long term issues
There are no long term issues. They're dead. THEIR problems are no longer, which is the point of suicide.

Quote:
and it is very passive-aggressive to create a horror movie scene for your "loved ones" (use that term very loosely) to stumble upon.
Suicide is passive-aggressive. As in it's done to spite their loved ones?

Quote:
There will be a lot of responses that the person is "mentally ill" and "can't help it" (suicide apologists).
Depression is a mental illness. That's not up for debate. Of course they can choose to live in misery to please people like you who don't actually matter to them. They don't want to.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Cowardly. What wouldn't you do to stay alive? To avoid a bullet in your skull?

It's also selfish to expect someone to live in misery just to please you.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
The professor was generalizing. I imagine that there are many reasons for suicide.

Perhaps he has experience with a suicide that left a mess, or hurt surviving family, and that is why he said what he did. Surviving families often go through hell after a loved one does away with themselves. It is also traumatic for those who discover the body.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
dumbfounded? I would not having any respect for him/her anymore.

I think suicide occurs when one has run out of resources to cope.

Some are so alone, there is nobody to tell them there might be another resource. People are just too busy to take care of everyone who might be suffering, and they don't even know how bad another is suffering. I at least have people who get paid to care about me, through my state health insurance. There is a person called a care coordinator that can connect me with people not just for mental or physical health, but also someone who can help clean house, drive me somewhere besides a doctors appointment, find subsidized housing, help apply for food stamps. Everybody who is not totally independent should have all these services.

Nobody should have to be alone in a world of 8 billion, that's what hurts the most, IMO, isolation.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I believe suicide is murder. I understand that the current mainstream thinking is that suicide is "fine," and no one should be shamed for doing it - it's a very pro-suicide environment.

But the major religions are not "for" it - and even in metaphysical studies, Delores Cannon talks about the ill-effects on the people who do it in the afterlife (it's on YouTube for anyone interested).

It is not a solution, if you understand the long term issues - and it is very passive-aggressive to create a horror movie scene for your "loved ones" (use that term very loosely) to stumble upon.

There will be a lot of responses that the person is "mentally ill" and "can't help it" (suicide apologists).

Please provide a link to the story.

I wish I knew whether or not a person with a mental illness should be tried to be talked into fixing their mental illness. Does this make any more sense than if we were to think everyone should be able to fix their own physical illness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology